x

Delete the old Customer Other or Memo field that is no longer editable - how?

Back in 2019, the original Other/Memo field was removed (made non-editable) from the Customer Directory by Square. It was replaced with the ability to add custom fields and notes. Please see the thread below explaining Square's historical implementation of this.

We have old customer data/information in the old Other/Memo field that we would like to delete. But while the data is still shown under our customers' Personal Information' in a read-only field labeled "Other," the field is no longer editable.

How can we delete/remove everything in this deprecated field that is view-only and no longer accessible?

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Why-has-the-other-comments-section-been-removed-f...

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello @ctmohio 👋

This took a bit of figuring out, but I got some guidance from our team. 

They are recommending that you create a group with all the profiles that need to be edited. 

You could use Smart Groups to avoid adding profiles one by one. A way to filter would be by the date of a customer's first purchase, for example. That way, you can gather all the older profiles and separate them from the rest in a group. 

Once this is created, you'll want to export this group and edit the export file, removing the column for the Other or Memo field. 

After making this change, you can import the file again and the field should be removed from the profiles. 

Now, our team did indicate that there is a chance that the field is stuck and won't be removed by following this process, although it is unlikely. 

If that is the case, you can reach out to our support team and they can escalate this issue for further investigation. Unfortunately, we do need to test the export/import option before escalating further. 

Let me know if you have other questions! 

Thank you

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Best Answer

Hello @ctmohio 👋

This took a bit of figuring out, but I got some guidance from our team. 

They are recommending that you create a group with all the profiles that need to be edited. 

You could use Smart Groups to avoid adding profiles one by one. A way to filter would be by the date of a customer's first purchase, for example. That way, you can gather all the older profiles and separate them from the rest in a group. 

Once this is created, you'll want to export this group and edit the export file, removing the column for the Other or Memo field. 

After making this change, you can import the file again and the field should be removed from the profiles. 

Now, our team did indicate that there is a chance that the field is stuck and won't be removed by following this process, although it is unlikely. 

If that is the case, you can reach out to our support team and they can escalate this issue for further investigation. Unfortunately, we do need to test the export/import option before escalating further. 

Let me know if you have other questions! 

Thank you

Frances
Message 2 of 8

I tried implementing this solution, but the memo field from the CSV download is not available to map to the matching field on import. The only option is to select "Do Not Import". So changing it on the CSV download file has no effect. I did try the import, but it had no effect. Also, the support team link does not work.

Message 3 of 8

Hello @ctmohio

You can choose Do Not Import if it's asking you to assign a field to the columns on your CSV file. 

The import overrides past data and does not create duplicate profiles, but errors can occur when profiles aren't an exact match. 

To prevent this, once you have created a group with the profiles you need updated and exported that group, you can delete it, and then reimport. 

Because this involves a deprecated field within the profiles, I would highly recommend reaching out to our support team directly if you run into issues

Here in the Community, we don't have access to your account information and are unable to troubleshoot if problems arise. 

Thank you

Frances
Message 4 of 8

Unfortunately, the support team link you provided still isn't working. Do you have one that does?

Message 5 of 8

Also, if a customer is deleted, how do I re-associate their appointment data with the new one that is created during the upload?

Thank you!

Message 6 of 8

@ctmohio, you can reach support here.

That should get you started, but to answer your second question …

There isn't a way to re-associate a new customer with deleted customer data at this time. If the contact wasn't deleted you would have the option to merge it to the new contact. Learn more about managing your Customer Directory here.

Message 7 of 8

Also, if a customer is deleted, how do I re-associate their appointment data with the new one that is created during the upload?

Thank you!

Message 8 of 8