x

Edit item screen now looks like mobile instead of web interface.

After whatever update happened to the dashboard around 7:26 pm est, the edit item screen now looks like a mobile version which isn't necessarily bad except when you have variations. You can no longer see the entire SKU number as they are cut off.  This makes my workflow super slow and cumbersome as I need to enter each item individually or export the entire inventory to a spreadsheet and hunt for them in there instead of just seeing everything right there on the webpage like it was before the update.  We notified someone via chat right after it happened but got passed around and then it hit quitting time and they just stopped helping and left.  This along with other things is making me think that maybe I made the wrong choice by choosing Square and I should just cut my losses now.

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@_Violet ;

Here is my question for Product Development....

Why would Square Customers want Mobile View on a Desktop Screen????  

We use the Desktop Screen for more real estate to see more information!!!  If we wanted to see less we could use our phones or tablets, but we take our valuable time to walk to a computer instead of reaching in our pockets to log in to Square to accomplish things we can not do or see in the mobile app.  Again this is why Square Customers log in to the DESKTOP accounts, plus it keeps it safer from our employees guessing our PIN which is only 4 to 12 digits depending on if as a user or device code.  I do a lot of work from home using the desktop view as my Square Stand is at my physical location and I can use export import only from a desktop to update inventory from online sales and daily in store sales.  This smaller screen view of the desktop is NOT understandable to us users.  No reason to put a 4x6 image on a 22" DESKTOP viewable screen.  Or am I missing something of your programmers / developers thinking??  Can someone from Development explain this illogic? 

I know it is not You but since you work for Square I figure you might be able to get in contact with the team responsible to get a clear answer on this.   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

I agree, why would Square engineers make the Screen area so SMALL for variations and not use the entire display screen for the Desktop site?  This information use to fill the page now it is centered with WIDE margins of white on each side.  Stop fixing things that are NOT broken and fix things that people ask for for Feature requests for example the ability to scan a COUPON like most POS systems can.

Candlestore_0-1650465285036.png

Notice all the White on the sides to the X and SAVE buttons.... can someone in engineering explain the waste of white space instead of showing the full SKU and/or GTIN by using the entire Desktop screen??  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 2 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @lodonnell & @Candlestore - Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Square Seller Community👋

I appreciate you sharing your honest feedback on the "edit item" update. Sorry to hear this update isn't exactly ideal 😔 This information will be valuable to our Product Team so I will be sure to surface your comments to them. 

If I happen to receive any info from Product, I will be sure to share it with you here!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

Best Answer

@_Violet ;

Here is my question for Product Development....

Why would Square Customers want Mobile View on a Desktop Screen????  

We use the Desktop Screen for more real estate to see more information!!!  If we wanted to see less we could use our phones or tablets, but we take our valuable time to walk to a computer instead of reaching in our pockets to log in to Square to accomplish things we can not do or see in the mobile app.  Again this is why Square Customers log in to the DESKTOP accounts, plus it keeps it safer from our employees guessing our PIN which is only 4 to 12 digits depending on if as a user or device code.  I do a lot of work from home using the desktop view as my Square Stand is at my physical location and I can use export import only from a desktop to update inventory from online sales and daily in store sales.  This smaller screen view of the desktop is NOT understandable to us users.  No reason to put a 4x6 image on a 22" DESKTOP viewable screen.  Or am I missing something of your programmers / developers thinking??  Can someone from Development explain this illogic? 

I know it is not You but since you work for Square I figure you might be able to get in contact with the team responsible to get a clear answer on this.   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 4 of 9

After a full day, 3 support team switches, and 9 different people looking at this issue, they finally confirmed that it was a deliberate change and we're stuck with it.  There's nothing in "What's New" to say it was changed, no information that I can find anywhere on the change, and no justification for why it needed changed.  Is this what I can expect in the future as well?

My guess is YES, because the style of how that element USED to look like is the same style that the Edit Variation element currently looks.  So who wants to take bets that THAT element will one day just POOF, be different too.

NOT happy!

Message 5 of 9
Square

Hello there! I am Mukta Dhanuka - Product Manager working on items and inventory management. I apologize for the delay in responding and the inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you for your feedback about the 'Items management screen'! Our team has been working on a design refresh for 'Items management screen', with the goal to reduce development time to add and maintain future UI features. In making these changes, we updated the item variations table to look more like mobile. 

We heard you and have updated this section to be easier to manage on the desktop experience. In particular, item variations table should once again look like the previous version of the item variations table.

You should continue to see the latest version as of today. Please review and let us know your thoughts about the usability, especially if it gets in your way to efficiently get your tasks done.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We really appreciate it.

Message 6 of 9

I'm sure your other customers will be very happy with the rollback to a design more suited to their use.  However, we will not be continuing as a customer.  This feedback you are thanking me for should have been given to you in-house before it ever made it to your customers. I don't want to have to pay for the privilege of being your QA department while you play around with your design.  

Message 7 of 9

We wanted to give our feedback of the new item edit update.  The changes make it less efficient to create items, especially when adding the vendor and vendor code.  Is Square still working on this update?  As numbers are getting transposed and the computer seems to be working extra hard when we are entering items.  We love that the Tracking toggle is on the main page, that makes it easier, but we decided not to use the Low Stock Alert feature as it just isn't efficient to click that many times to enter that information.  Also, the text is a little blurry on our screens, so hopefully this gets fixed.  Thank you for your feedback.

Message 8 of 9
Square

@Beyondordinary - I will love to interview you and collect your feedback. Please DM me your contact information and share time slots that may work for you in the next two weeks.

Message 9 of 9