x

Forced to use Team Plus

In an attempt to add a new employee to an existing location and existing role at the same pay rate, I'm not being forced to use Team Plus in order to add her.  Why?  It also tries to do that if I try to add a location to an existing employee.  I have 5 locations and my employees work at various ones and move around.

It's like Square is forcing you now to pay for something and basic functionality that it says you have is being taken away.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

@KingViewMead Are you using different permission sets or do you have permissions set up?  or are you just using a team passcode?

If you are going to use different levels of security permissions with different employees you would have to use team plus.  If you want the free version, you can use a team passcode that will work.  I am not sure about roles as I haven't messed with those in the free version.  I use teams plus and find it well worth it to have multiple permission sets.  So lets start with permissions and go from there...

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 7

We have Teams Plus for 1 location to utilize a Manager Permission set (but they don't ever log in).  All other employees are on the same basic teams permission set.  

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

So are all your other employees using the same team passcode?

The one location you have team plus and have this manager assigned, is this the employee you are trying to assign to another location?

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 7

Each employee has their own passcode.  I had to create 3 employees (managers) who then got assigned the manager role for the one location.  None of the 3 managers will be manager or any other role for any other location.  They are assigned to 1 location only and will remain that way.  Other non-manger role employees (all with the team permission set) are able to move between locations.  What's funny is I have several of them with various locations already (non team plus locations) but when I try to add a location to an existing I get forced to use Team plus.

Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

Ok, that makes sense now.  Once you have someone set up as teams plus, that employee will be teams plus at any location he goes to because he or she can only have 1 permission set.  That employee could go to another location and use the teams pass code without any problem, but not sure if he could clock in or out at that location.  It could be if you have them assigned to multiple roles already then added teams plus to the one location that is why the others are already there.

What you could try is unassign the permission set to your managers so everyone is on just a team passcode.  Try then getting everyone set up with the locations you want and then add the manager role for the one location back to that team member who is a manager.

The other way around it would be to just have the "manager" employee clock in and out only at the one location.  You could let him install the app on his phone to clock in and out if you trust them (it is a permission) or use the teams app to clock in and out.

But, if the manager is going to multiple locations, that permission set follows him or her and that will trigger team plus for each location.  The only other work around would be to have them set up twice and then manually merge time keeping data at the end of each pay period if you are doing that.  But with a team passcode, there is no requirement to clock in and out. 

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

MustHaveMenus
Message 6 of 7

Donnie, to be clear.  NONE of the managers are going to any other location or have other roles assigned.  The Manager role set is used to only allow those 3 people access to reports because they are partners at that location.  They are NOT clocking in and out either.

This issue did not start until long after that setting was created.

Message 7 of 7