x
Super Seller

Fractional Tax Calculating incorrectly

I noticed this a few weeks ago and it's actually happened quite a few times now. Often times people will want to exchange the color of an item, which means I start a refund then scan the item they want so that it's an even exchange.

Example:

Item A (Purple) is $6.75 before tax. With our 6% sales tax it's $7.15 ($0.40)

Item B (Orange) is $6.75 before tax. With our 6% sales tax it's $7.15($0.40)

When I return ITEM A and ring up Item B it calculates the sales tax $0.01 less for item B, forcing a refund of $0.01.

The taxes are ringing correctly when you process a transaction but for some reason it rounds differently when you perform a return.

It won't let you just refund a penny in cash either, the only option is to refund it to their card on file.

Please look into this as tax deductions should be consistent to avoid this situation. If it saw that it charged $7.15 for the sale then the refund amount should also be $7.15.

This isn't only limited to one or two items, if you try to refund and do an exchange the tax are calculating different than if you just do a sale.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @PartyManiaMD

Oh no! That sounds frustrating. 

Just to be sure I'm understanding, both items should be the same price, but when refunding, the tax is calculated differently? 

I'm just confused because it says item A is $7.75 with tax, but unsure if that was a typo. 

Let me know!

Thank you. 

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

OOPS, Missed that in my proofread.

But yes, it's calculating tax differently if it's a fractional amount and it's not calculating it consistently.

I've noticed it over several different products as most of our products end in either .49, .95, or .99 and the only time I've noticed the inconsistency is when processing it as a return or exchange.

Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 3 of 6

Just wanted to make sure, @PartyManiaMD 

It did seem like a typo. 

I have escalated this issue to our team, however, an example transaction would be helpful. 

Do you happen to remember the date and approximate time when something like this happened?

Thanks.

Frances
Message 4 of 6

Also, are there other items in the transactions when this happens? @PartyManiaMD 

Frances
Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

In the original receipt there were multiple items. When you return the one item the returned item is 6.75 and it calculates the return tax at $0.40 for a total of $7.15

If they have access to my account receipts the Receipt # is VOVi

I know it's happened before, possibly with multiple items in the original purchase but an exchange where it calculates the tax differently.

Original item bought and item exchanged for both ring up as $6.75+ $0.41 in tax when buying them.

Message 6 of 6