x

How can I keep the stand from spinning all the way around?

We had this trouble before and it got so bad that our cord that connects the stand to the hub components became frayed and we had to replace the stand as nothing would connect. Then we received our new stand and it too won't stop at the locked position. It just keeps spinning and moving and dragging the cord with it. I read that someone said this is "bad bearings" and that that user could take it apart and try to fix it on their own. But this stand just came to us and we aren't even open yet (on a week break) and it just spins. So it can't be overuse or misuse by staff/customers. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you remedy it? We are about to enter our busy season and can't have this fraying our new cord like the old stand did with all it's spinning. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @hscva, this is the first time I've heard of this happening. 

I just have a couple of questions. 

1. Is your Square Stand secured to a counter top using the adhesive pad? 
  2. Also is it spinning a full 360 degrees? It should only spin 180. 
  3. Did your first cable fray where it connected to the stand or at another point? 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply! A picture of your cashier area would also help me and other users understand how you've setup your Square Stand. 

Message 2 of 4

Hi @Chad,

See how we've taped down the hub cord. Even with this taped down, once the stand is in "locked" position, it continues to move - the whole apparatus continues to scoot on around, a little bit at a time. Last time this happened and the cord became frayed and got wedged in between the base and the counter keeping it from moving but also losing connection with the drawer, reader, and printer as a result. 

closeup of wireThis is just attached to the counter via the adhesive method because the bolt method could not create a flat and secure connection. The whole thing wobbled for some reason with the bolt. The last stand was attached with the bolt method but we went with the adhesive after unsuccesful attempts to get the stand to not function properly with the bolt. I have a video too but don't think it can't be uploaded. So, https://vimeo.com/249842379 is a link to it. It's such a slight movement, but over time, it really can damage the cord and loosen the stand. We are just getting started with this new one, so we'll see how it holds up. 

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey @hscva, thanks for taking the time to reply and provide that video. I had the chance to view it a few times and it that does seem strange—the Stand and power cord shouldn't be moving like that.

It's still a bit hard to tell, but it looks like the adhesive mount may not be fully connected to the bottom of the Stand. The power cord should be inserted and rest flush in the notch on bottom of the rubber plate. If those two components are securely in place, then the power cord should remain in place as well, and the Stand will swivel correctly.

Are you able to double check that the rubber plate is secured evenly and thoroughly to the counter? In addition, is there any chance that the counter top has any dips large enough in it that might be allowing the power cord to slip out of the notch?

I'm curious to see how and at what point the Stand locks into place. It looks like the Stand's locked position on your counter is at a 45 degree angle—any chance you might consider mounting it to be parallel with the counter? This might help out in terms of locking it in place with more ease when rotating 180 degrees.

Hope this helps get things in the right direction. Please let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 4