x

How do I troubleshoot the Square Point of Sale app?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Square app freezes on "approved" screen

My square app freezes on the "approved" screen. Happens whether I'm entering a manual card entry or with the chip reader. I'm using a Samsung S8 Active, Android phone. I had no problems until my phone did an automatic software update. Eventually it does complete the process, but it takes far too long and wastes valuable customer time and looks unprofessional when it takes too long to complete the transaction.

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@CaptJim I'm very sorry you've been encountering this issue, it's definitely not normal. As this seems to happen when you enter card details to the app and when you're using your reader there might be a glitch in the app or with your device. 

Try these troubleshooting steps one by one:  

1. Check that the Point of Sale app is up to date, and that the software on your phone is up to date too. 
  2. Sign out of the app and sign back in.
  3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on again. (Yes it does help, especially if you rarely power your device off.)
  4. Force close the Point of Sale app and reopen it. 
  5. If you have NOT accepted any payments in Offline Mode, delete and reinstall the app. *Note: Do not delete the app if you have pending payments that you accepted while Offline Mode. Only delete the app after your device has been reconnected to the internet and all pending payments have been processed. 

If the freeze continues even after you've tried each step please call our CS team directly so we can investigate further and make sure you can processing payments within seconds as expected! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

It looks like LG quit supporting Android updates on the V30 after Android Pie 9.0.  Nonetheless, you're right, that I'm currently at version 8.0.  It looks like all the software and system updates are somewhat automated (even with Developer mode unlocked) on this phone, so I'll have to contact Sprint to see if I can at least update to Android 9.0. 

Message 22 of 24
Admin

Okay, let me know if you're able to update and get things working again @FatRichie.

Apologies for the back and forth 👩🏼‍💻

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 23 of 24

Not a problem on the back and forth.  I appreciate you putting forth the effort.  It's going to take me a while to get over to the Sprint store to get the Android update done (online support said that's the only way to do it), so it may be a few weeks before I have an update.  Thanks again!

Message 24 of 24