x

How do you add tax to an item at checkout?

I am relatively new to Square and opening my business and I am really confused about how to add sales tax at the time that I do an in person sale. I have added Tax rates but I haven't added a specific tax rate to any of my items because there are different tax rates for ever city. I live in San Diego and even within the county of San Diego there are different tax rates. How do I add a sales tax rate at the time that I charge someone so I can add the applicable rate? I can't really use a blanket rate or it 1/2 the time won't be the correct tax rate. Help please! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @SDLinZee!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community, and welcome to Square!

Once you've created all the necessary taxes in your online Square Dashboard, you can enable them for all items. During the sale, you'll be able to disable the taxes you do not want to be applied. To to so, once you've added the items to the cart or input a custom amount into checkout, please follow these instructions:

1. From the Square app, tap Current Sale and tap an item.
  2. Under Taxes, toggle applicable tax rates on or off.

If you just input a custom amount instead of adding items to the cart for the sale, you can just tap on the taxes that are being applied and remove/disable the unnecessary ones. 

Please let me know if any of this is unclear by replying back in this thread. Thanks again 😊.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 2