x

How to set signature screen on Samsung S8+ to rotate to horizontal

Since the oreo update my Samsung S8+ signature screen does not rotate to horizontal, although my phone's set to auto-rotate. Anyone else experience this?

Message 1 of 89
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Leequa - Sorry it took me so long to provide this update. 

I just heard back from our engineering team that the app is performing as expected with some versions of Android's signature screen in portrait mode. They're not actively working on the landscape signature screen mode, but exploring its possibility since I've been sharing all of your feedback with them. 

I'm really sorry that I had to share this news because I know it's not what you all expected. I'm going to continue sharing your feedback, especially around missing out on tips with this smaller screen. I'll keep you updated as I learn more. 

View Best Answer >

Message 55 of 89
88 REPLIES 88

My signature screen started rotating again right after I received the One UI update on my S9+ a few days ago. 

Message 64 of 89

HEY! My S9 updated on 2/1/19 and it does work now! Hooray!!! ! Thanks for noticing. 😁 

Message 65 of 89

The latest Android Pie update on my Note 8 fixed this issue. Now my clients can use horizontal/landscape display for signature! 

Message 66 of 89
Super Seller

Message 67 of 89

I just did a system update on my S8.  I can FINALLY rotate my screen.  Too bad it had to be done through Android and not the Square app.  Not a good sign, Square!

Message 68 of 89

Same here!  Just posted a reply.  Too bad it had to be accomplished through an Android system update and not taken care of through the Square app issue.

Message 69 of 89
Super Seller

The reason it is thru the android update and not a square update is that the versions of Android that were modified to run on the newer larger screen devices had broken a part of the API calls that Square and other developers had been using.  This OS update seems to have brought the API back in line within the guidelines of the documented API calls and wasn't something that could be fixed app side.

This is similar to when Apple updated iOS 10.2?? and broke Square Stand integration.  There is nothing that the app developer can do when the literal OS foundation changes and breaks the API calls that are established and documented.

Message 70 of 89

Please encourage the restoration of landscape mode; portrait simply doesn't provide the necessary information. 

Message 71 of 89
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here @Encore9472!

While landscape mode is still available on Android tablets, it is unavailable on most Android mobile phones at this time.

We’re always working to improve our app based on the feedback we receive from our customers, so I’ll be sure to pass your request to our Product Team.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 72 of 89

It seems that Square has forgotten they are not the only reader on the block! If this doesn't resolve soon, I will be switching to she Shopify reader.  Take vendor complaints seriously or lose those vendors!

Message 73 of 89

Agree and I'm shopping as well. It's been a long time and no solution. It's a huge inconvenience and doesn't appear anything is being done to resolve issue.

Message 74 of 89

I'm exploring other processors as well. There are too many other good companies to have to put up with this issue. It's a shame, been with square since the beginning.

Message 75 of 89

Yes!!! I also have an s8 phone and it's super frustrating and inconvenient for my customers to sign in portrait mode because there's hardly any space to do it and I can't rotate it either.

Message 76 of 89

Just some info for Square users: because of this issue I signed up with Paypal processing. Same rates as Square and their screen rotates just fine. Also they have a very good bluetooth reader that works well, I always had trouble with my square bt reader disconnecting. It runs about $30. 

Message 77 of 89

Do they cover chargebacks like Square does?

I don't want to switch, I want Square to fix this. Do they think all their customers use tablets?

Message 78 of 89

I didn't want to switch either but I also need my screen to rotate. As far as paypal covering chargebacks, all companies basically do the same thing. As long as you have a good track record and everything is legit with the transaction, typically they rule in your favor. PayPal had been around much longer than Square.

Message 79 of 89

Just incase all of us frustrated users missed this, I got an answer that they aren't going to do jacksh*t about fixing this.  PayPal, here I come!  

"

Hi @Leequa - Sorry it took me so long to provide this update. 

I just heard back from our engineering team that the app is performing as expected with some versions of Android's signature screen in portrait mode. They're not actively working on the landscape signature screen mode, but exploring its possibility since I've been sharing all of your feedback with them. 

I'm really sorry that I had to share this news because I know it's not what you all expected. I'm going to continue sharing your feedback, especially around missing out on tips with this smaller screen. I'll keep you updated as I learn more. "

Message 80 of 89

Very disappointing, the bigger signature screen was 50% of the reason I just bought this note 8

Message 81 of 89

Same for me with the S9+, but honestly Paypal is great. You don't even know anything is different really.

Message 82 of 89

Thanks, I'll definitely consider this.  I posted something suggesting people post things like this, but it seems my post has been removed.  It will be interesting to see how long this one lasts.

Message 83 of 89

I got a response from a rep that says they are not currently trying to fix this problem for Android phones. Really disappointed in Square at this point. They are usually on top of things. Boo.  

Message 84 of 89