x

I have magstripe reader but I have to use manual entry to take a payment

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: magreader rate is the same as keyed in

I got the simple square magreader.  It works.  But I can only access from the POS app by the manual CC entry option.  Which charges me 3.5%.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Champion

I'm not sure what you mean the Magstripe reader works but you are typing in the credit card numbers.  If the magstripe reader worked you wouldn't have to type in the numbers.  what do you mean you can only access the POS app by Manual CC entry?

Message 2 of 5
Admin

@binarybrain01 As mentioned above if the reader is connected to your device you should be able to swipe a credit/debit card. I recommend checking that your device is compatible with the magstripe reader, and removing any case from your phone if you have one!

If you've checked the compatibility and removed your case please go through these additional troubleshooting steps for the magstripe reader in our Support Center. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 5

The reader works, I swipe the CC's fine but I get charge the manual entry fee.  I believe I am be charged that way because the only way to swipe the card in the POS app is in the manual entry selection.  I'm not manually entering I am swiping.

Message 4 of 5

Hello @binarybrain01

Actually you don't have to select manual credit card entry to process a card. If you're reader is connected you can swipe the card right after hitting charge. 

If you enter all of the card details under manual credit card entry you will be charged the 3.5% + $0.15 cents for the transaction. 

Message 5 of 5