x
Beta Member

Is anyone else frustrated with the new shipping label process?

I am really frustrated with Square's choice to force us away from the "online" shipping label generator.

They advertised it as a "new and improved" function that we now have to access from the main dashboard. The reality is that it is missing basic functionality.

On the minor side: it won't remember which size label you want, forcing you to reselect 4x6 labels for every single order.

On the major side: it doesn't calculate package weight any more!

I can't be the only one who prints a label and packing list first and then takes that to pick and package the order. But, now we can't generate a shipping label without an accurate package weight. So even though square knows the weight of every single item and the boxes that I use, it won't add them up anymore. Are we really supposed to keep a list of these weights and manually add them up for every single package? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Champion

I don't generate labels through Square- I use stamps.com

I do find the order screen to not be as good as the square online order.. the font is smaller and it doesn't give you the "preview of what is ordered.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Apex86 I am sorry to hear our new shipping labels process is not working out for you. With any updates our goal is to make our process better, sorry we fell short. I would contact our Square Online Team and provide them with this feedback directly, they might be able to provide some workarounds as well. You can reach our team at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport. Of course, if you need anything else please let us know. 

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

I reached out via email, and it took almost a week of irrelevant replies and transfers to different agents. When I finally got someone who at least understood the issue, they said that this is not a big, it is just how it works and would not be changed. We just now have to know the weight of the complete package (before we pack the order) in order to generate a shipping label.

Will the phone team tell me something different?

This is just so hard to understand. Square has all these weights. Square knows what items are in the order. Square knows my packaging weights. An amateur web developer could create the function to add these values together and pre-populate the package weight field.

Yet here we are. Square refusing to put in a small amount of effort to save its customers a massive headache and slowdown. 

Message 4 of 5
Square Champion

@Apex86 ;

I do exactly as your stating you would want to do, but I do not use Square / Weebly for my hosting of my webstore.  I select all orders that need to be shipped, pack them, weigh them, and then use Pirate Ship for my labels.  To print all my packing slips I do not need to know the weight first.  But as with you I do have weights for each item and it is added together on the packing slip.  It is sometimes a little high since we added for packing material for 1 item and if more than one item the packing material maybe less weight.  

This seems like a simple and orderly process Square should have.  You can't Pack items if you did not get a packing slip to see what needs to be selected to put in the box to be shipped.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 5 of 5