x

My card reader won't read any cards. How do I fix this?

[Note: The title of this post has been edited by a moderator for clarity.]

Square won'the read the swiped card. I have to key in the account number.

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Is it the free magstripe reader or the $29 chip card reader?  Here are some tips depending on which you're using.

Magstripe Reader Troubleshooting

Chip Card Reader Troubleshooting

The readers do have a warranty if these tips don't help. Warranty Info 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

I believe this tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7) is compatible.  When I insert the magstripe reader it says "Reader Connected...".  However, when I swipe the card it doesn't do anything...  Any suggestions?

Message 22 of 30
Admin

Hi @GADL! I've moved your post here as other sellers were having this issue. I checked and your device is compatible with the magstripe reader. I recommend following these troubleshooting steps which resolve most issues with the reader. If you're still having trouble don't hesitate to reach back out! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 23 of 30

Ive found a similar problem. Contactless chip reader suddenly quit working. We have it on my wife's iphone6. Last show in February, it suddenly wouldn't read cards.  The phone would say it was connected, but it acted as if it was off. Followed all reset troubleshooting ideas. As of now, its full charged, reset. And new up to date apps, but it wont read. Have been back to the stripe readers, which works fine.  Any ideas?

thanks

Message 24 of 30
Admin

Thanks for reaching out here and for taking the time to troubleshoot your Contactless and Chip Reader, @Cdleather. Those tips usually resolve any connection issue right away—sorry to hear that you're still encountering issues with it. As a next step, I would suggest getting in touch with our CS Team directly. They'll be able to take a deeper dive in real time, and offer advice on next steps.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 25 of 30

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Contactless and chip reader wont connect to samsung S8+

My magstripe reader won't connect to my Samsung S8 Plus.  I've tried calling customer service but they were absolutely no help at all.  Trying everything that is written but no luck.  Thought you might have a different "out of the box" solution.

Message 26 of 30
Admin

@pacificblues I'm very sorry for the frustration. I've moved your post to this thread which has the steps to troubleshoot the magstripe reader (the other thread was for a different reader). 

Are you seeing an error message/any message when you connect the reader? Do you have a case on your phone? Or is the storage on your phone full/nearly full?

I also see that you still have an open case with a Manager on the Customer Success team who will also continue to help you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 27 of 30

no to all your questions.  I do have a case open and it's going nowhere.  So frustrating dealing with Square.  Everyone gives a standard answer and sends me the same written messages.  They all know how to tow the company line.  But that's about it.

Message 28 of 30

Sorry to hear about the trouble @pacificblues

I saw you have a case with our Engineering Team and one of our Customer Success Managers sent you an update via email yesterday.

Rest assured that the team is working to solve this issue as soon as possible. 🙂

Message 29 of 30

Someone did call me yesterday and said a tech expert was going to call me.  But true to form with Square, no one called me.  A lot of talk from Square but no action.  Getting frustrated. 

Message 30 of 30