x

My chip reader is flashing red and won't connect. What does this mean and what do I need to do?

My chip reader is flashing red and won't connect. What does this mean and what do I need to do?

Message 1 of 50
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Sorry to hear about the reader issues! 

If you see one blinking red light, then it means your contactless and chip reader is low on batteries and is in need of a charge.

If you are seeing all 4 red blinking lights, it sounds like you’ve held the button for too long, and the reader has been reset to factory settings. You'll need to re-pair it to your device, as if it were new. 

You can also find some more useful troubleshooting steps here.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Alumni

Sorry to hear @Rscs17 - First, try a hard reset. Hold the button on the side down for 15 secs or until the lights turn off. Wake it back up by holding the button again for about 3 secs. See if that helps.

If you're still having issues, file a warranty claim. A replacement will be sent within 5-7 biz days. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 43 of 50

I've tried everything, and nothing works. Tried the hard reset unplugged and while plugged in on a charge. Nothing. 

Message 44 of 50
Admin

So sorry to hear that 😔

Please give us a call @Rscs17 so we can take a look on the back end and send a replacement if necessary. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 45 of 50

I have tried to force shutdown with the 4 blinking red lights. After 20 secs, the 4 red blinking lights do stop but once I lift the power button, the 4 red blinking lights start again. Is this a malfunction?

Message 46 of 50
Square Community Moderator

Hey @jonathanchou917,

I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your reader! Is this still happening when you go in to your Square Point of Sale app, and attempt to pair the reader? Keep in mind that the lights on the reader will flash orange when it's in pairing mode, too. Please let us know how you go!

Message 47 of 50
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @jonathanchou917 and @jfan8349 - Alanah here, stepping in for @Arie 👋

It sounds like you have attempted to reset your Contactless + Chip reader. When performing this action, it is important to follow the steps exactly as they are written.

I'll go ahead and share these steps again here so you can give it a try one more time:

1. Charge your reader for at least 20 minutes.

2. While the reader is charging, use a small object like a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.

• After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

• Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.

If the reader lights turn on, you’re all set. If the lights don’t turn on, please try again. Make sure to firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

If you are still having trouble with your Contactless + Chip reader after attempting to reset it again, please reach out directly to our Support Team so we can take a closer look at this with you. If needed, our Support Team can also escalate this issue to our Engineers for their review.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 48 of 50

Having the same problem, flashing red lights will not go off. Hold the button for 20 sec. it goes off and comes back on when I release.

Message 49 of 50

Reposting to reply to the original question…

I’ve seen several people on this thread suggesting that their USB base is defective and that they can’t charge the reader anymore. Happy to say that I have a solution! Hopefully it’s THE solution, but time will tell. Also, my issue presented as one red light flashing 3 times after plugging in the reader. Apparently, that also means low battery. 

The reader itself can be charged or powered by a standard micro-USB cable. Take it out of the base and plug it into the cable. If it starts charging then you’re golden! If it doesn’t, then you likely have a bad reader/battery. 

Now if the battery is completely dead then it may take several minutes of charging before it will respond. It appears to me that it won’t work with a bad battery, even if it is connected to power. In that case, it’s probably time to get a replacement via warranty (if available) or purchase. 

You can determine if the reader is charging, IF it has already been paired (Bluetooth) with your phone or tablet. In the app (on iPhone anyway), tap the lower right button that’s either three stacked horizontal lines or labeled “More” (sorry, I’m not looking at it right now and I don’t remember). Scroll down and tap “Settings”, then “Hardware”. Your reader should be there with a battery pictured on the right with a percentage. If there’s a lightning bolt on the battery then it’s charging. If not, then it’s not. 

I hope that some of you find this helpful. I’m extremely technical, so I know what I’m talking about more than most. Good luck!

Message 50 of 50