x

My chip reader is flashing red and won't connect. What does this mean and what do I need to do?

My chip reader is flashing red and won't connect. What does this mean and what do I need to do?

Message 1 of 50
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Sorry to hear about the reader issues! 

If you see one blinking red light, then it means your contactless and chip reader is low on batteries and is in need of a charge.

If you are seeing all 4 red blinking lights, it sounds like you’ve held the button for too long, and the reader has been reset to factory settings. You'll need to re-pair it to your device, as if it were new. 

You can also find some more useful troubleshooting steps here.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Square

Sorry to hear about the continued trouble, @sonorayogaloft. I'd imagine you've gone through most of the troubleshooting with our Support team so it's probably safe to say there is a fault with your Reader's battery. We can absolutely get you a replacement without cost, head to our warranty page to get started. 

Apologies again for the experience, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. 

Message 22 of 50

Thanks for the offer, but that was the first thing customer support did (send me a new one) and the new one does the exact same thing as the old one. None of the staff I have spoken to seem to be aware that a single red blinking light indicates low battery. Everyone tries to tell me I am seeing multiple red blinking lights. No where in the instructions that came with my unit does it says that a single red blinking light means low battery. Frankly I don't think Square knows about this from the responses I have received. The units seem to be defective by design. I have had two myself that have the issue, and I have found other people online with the same issue as me. Seems to be the way the unit (or software) was designed.

Message 23 of 50

It's happening to me again, after it stopped for a while.  I really don't think it's the unit.  I've used the same chip reader the whole time, it worked well, then it didn't, then worked well for another couple of months, now again the single red light is flashing.  It can't be the battery - how it could it have fixed itself?  It has something to do with the Square updates and iPad updates and which one happens first - that should be your clue.  Could you fix it at the next update, please?  Current Square update is from August 30th,

using iPad 2, updated to 9.3.5

Message 24 of 50

Could I also add that the chip reader turns itself on (flashes all four lights orange, then green) even when the iPad is not on?  Definitely can't be the battery.

Message 25 of 50

Nanica,

Yours just went out again too? I just put in a warranty claim for ANOTHER replacement today, 9/8/16, due to the mysterious single blinking red light. Last time thought my charger wasn't working right so I've been checking battery status frequently and it never depletes (I have it plugged in all the time) then suddenly single blinking red light and reader doesn't work (it actually works sporadically, but you can't run a business that way). I have all my stuff set to auto update so I didn't make the connection there. Do you have any more info about this? Maybe we can work together and find the solution Square can't...

Message 26 of 50

I've had the same problem, I also leave mine plugged in all the time. After replacing it the new one occasionally still does this. Try unplugging it for a while, it's works for me.

Message 27 of 50

Ours works sporadically too.  Just checked with another local merchant yesterday and theirs does the same thing.  It's either a problem in how the reader was made or else it's the updates.

Why do I think the updates have something to do with it?  Ours was on manual update at first, so the first time the blinking red light happened, I updated Square, quit the app, entered it again and did a reader hard reset by holding the button until it flashed 4 orange and then 4 green lights.  This made it work fine again so I changed the updates to automatic.  Now it's happening again.  I'll try the advice of the person above who said to unplug it for a bit, though I did so the first time the reader was misbehaving and it did not seem to help.  

I don't really know anything about programing or computers so if a restart won't work, I'm lost as to what to try next.  But if this is happening to so many people and getting a new chip reader isn't helping, it's a deeper problem and Square needs to get its wizards thinking about it.  I doubt that it's a physical problem with the reader and battery (like fixing old TVs by hitting them) since our chip reader has had no accidents, it did not fall, get hit or so on.

Message 28 of 50

The chip reader is behaving normally now after being unplugged for about 45 minutes and plugged back in.  I don't see the single red light flash anymore and it seems to always be on when the iPad is on.  Simple solutions are best.   Thank you very much RayD! I'l post again if I have more trouble.

Message 29 of 50

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Contactless batttery issues one red light after being charged 24 hrds

Contactless reader battery has one red light after being charged 24 hrs or more

Message 30 of 50
Admin

Hey @BeesBody, sorry to hear your reader isn't charging. If you see a single blinking light that does mean the reader's batter is low. Are you charging it from another device like an iPad, or can you try charging it using a grounded AC outlet? You could also try resetting your reader

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 31 of 50

Mine doesn't glitch so much anymore but when it does I hold my finger on the icon then tap app info then Force stop. Go back and open anew the app and everything works fine.

Message 32 of 50
Admin

Thanks for sharing this tip @Glimmer42

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 33 of 50

My contactless reader is continuously blinking 4 red lights. I have uninstallend / reinstalled the app and connected the reader to dock. Nothing has been able to restore it back to the green lights it was just displaying one hour ago. Please help...

Message 34 of 50
Admin

Hey @leelee12-

So sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your reader. Thank you for already trying to delete and reinstall the app. That's a great first step.

In my experience with the Contactless + Chip Reader, I've had the best luck with doing a hard reset on your reader. The instructions to do so can be found here

I moved your post over to this thread so you can take a look at some other suggestions to troubleshoot your reader. If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps and you’re still having issues, submit a warranty claim.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 35 of 50

My contactless/chip reader continuously flashes red. I’ve tried a hard reboot, but that is not solving the problem. Any advice?

Message 36 of 50
Alumni

@TurnagainBrew

This thread might help, as it has some helpful troubleshooting steps worth running through. If you've exhausted all avenues, reach out to our CS Team so they can help further. 

squ.re/contact 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 37 of 50

Reader doesnt seem to charge and flashes end red lights...any fixes?

Message 38 of 50
Alumni

Hey @KraveBagel - definitely seems like your reader needs to be charged. Have you tried using a different micro USB cable to charge it? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 39 of 50

Yes I tried several different combinations of USB cords and bricks.

Message 40 of 50

Have you tried doing a "Force Stop" on the app?

Message 41 of 50

Since I received the reader in the mail, this has never worked for me. After I unboxed the device, I tried to charge it up, but the whole time it kept on flashing red (simultaneously- 3 flashes) for the duration of the charge. I left it charge practically the whole day and still the same thing. I believe that this device is defective and isn't working. Still brand new with no sign of wear. Is it possible to send me a replacement, or perhaps let me know what else could be wrong and how I could troubleshoot it so that I can get it to work?

Message 42 of 50