x

My transfer was sent to a closed bank account, what do I do?

[This post was updated by moderator in 2019 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

My bank account got hacked and had to close it down. Square told me that if my bank account was closed. That they would contact me and resend it to my new account.  That never happened. I stumbled upon the sizable amount because I never saw it transferred into my bank!

Now I'm having to re-contact and redo all my information with Square again! It's been a month and the money has not been deposited. Not good business. What do I do? I keep emailing square and they keep giving me excuses. Is there a phone number I can call? Cant seem seem to find that anywhere.

Message 1 of 53
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @Gegil, sorry to hear about the trouble. I would be happy to provide some clarification. 

If your deposit was sent to a closed bank account one of three things will happen:

1. Your deposit bounces back to Square. In the event this happens you will need to link a new bank account (account & routing number) so we can deposit your funds. Not to be mistaken with linking a new debit card for instant deposit. It can take up to 5 business days for a bank account to link. Also it can take up to 7 business days for the funds to be returned to Square. 
  2. Bank accepts the deposit and issues a check. In some cases your bank may cut you a check for the deposit and mail it to the address on file. 
  3. Bank keeps the Account Open. The bank may keep your account open for some time, specifically for situations like this. 

If your bank account is closed it is your responsibility to update your account information. Square assumes your linked bank account is open and active until your bank notifies us of a closure. 

If you would like to give us a call check out the thread on customer codes & phone numbers. 

If you have any other questions please I'd be happy to help. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Square Community Moderator

Hey @BigDamon

Welcome to the Community.

The funds will bounce back to us since it was originally sent to a closed account. 

I would recommend adding a new bank account, so when the funds are deposited again they will go through. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 43 of 53

Hi my money was transferred to an closed account. What do I do?

Message 44 of 53
Super Seller Alumni

You're going to need to contact Square's support for help with this.  The Community can't help with account-specific questions like this due to the need to protect your privacy.

Judy T Shumway
Message 45 of 53
Beta Member

Square deposited to a cosed bank account, how do I find someone who can help me get this corrected?  New bank info is on my account.

Message 46 of 53

What happens if my payment goes to a old bank account?

Message 47 of 53
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Srambert

Your post has been moved to a thread about a similar topic. 

Thank you for posting in the Community. Whenever funds are sent to a closed bank account, we will wait for the funds to bounce back to us within 5-7 business days. 

During that time, make sure the correct bank account is linked to your Square Dashboard. Once the funds bounce back, then the transfer will be attempted again. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 48 of 53

I opened a new account, first closing the acct my square was linked to not realizing until now that my last 2 days if transfers were going to the closed acct. I have no linked my new acct and I am trying to find out how to get the last 2 days if transactions back! I instantly transferred those 2 days without realizing it was linked to the closed acct! Someone plz help!?

Message 49 of 53
Admin

@Rgorum Sorry that happened! I just moved your post here so you can see what happens when funds are sent to a closed bank account.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 50 of 53

What did you get done about it

Message 51 of 53

I made a transfer to my bank account thinking it was my new bank account. Unfortunately, it was my closed account. Can I cancel this transfer? It was not an instant transfer.

Message 52 of 53
Alumni

You aren't able to cancel or undo a transfer. However, I moved your post to a thread that explains what happen when a transfer is sent to the wrong bank account.

@armournailsalon

Justin
Message 53 of 53