x
Square Champion

Question on Taxes

I went to answer a Question on Sales Taxes and noticed Taxes started showing up on my reports that I did not enter and have no idea about what % they are.  Since Square added these how do I find out what % they are charging at?  In business account settings taxes they do not appear.  Only appear in Sales Tax reports.

Any help on finding the rates Square entered would be helpful.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

I think we got to the bottom of this @Candlestore!

The team looked into further on their end and they discovered that this is purely a display issue. To confirm: taxes are being applied correctly and nothing extra is being charged/caculated.

However, what happened is instead of the taxes being displayed under one name — either the name you've given your tax or the auto-tax determination, it is being broken down more granularly and showed based on the city/zipcodes you've shipped to. 

Now that this is on the team's radar, they will be part of their plant reporting improvements for 2024. 

Let me know if there's anything question or feedback you would like me to share with the team, and I'll be sure to pass it on! 

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 27 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Square Champion

For an image of what I am referring to I have now added these 2 photos below.

Photo 1 Shows my Settings for Sales Taxes and shows the 1 I assigned ... PA sales tax at 6%

The 1 Tax I assigned for PA State Sales TaxThe 1 Tax I assigned for PA State Sales Tax

Now on my Reports > Taxes I am seeing 4 Taxes.... PA Sales Tax, Sales Tax, Sales Tax (Bath...), and Sales Tax (Dingmans Ferry....) But I have no idea what rates these are charging and can not find it in my Square account.  The Pa sales Tax and Sales Tax might be because I changed the name from Sales Tax to Pa Sales Tax..... but no idea where or what rate Bath and Dingmans Ferry are charging and why?   Especially since I have a website off of Square, Square is for in-store sales and a few Phone orders.  The below Picture is From Reports > Taxes page..... as you can see this has Taxes highlighted on the Left column.

Bath and Dingmans Ferry show on reports > TaxesBath and Dingmans Ferry show on reports > Taxes

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 2 of 27
Square Champion

That is super interesting and weird.  I don't have an answer but I'll bump this to see if anyone else can help.

Message 3 of 27
Square Champion

@VanKalkerFarms ;

Thank you for bumping this.  The worst part I just thought of, is that when I did my State Sales Tax, the Gross is there then Taxable number of sales and then the sales tax collected was displayed.  Now the Sales Tax collected is shown as one total so I sent the entire sales Tax to the State, am I supposed to be making 3 payments to the State, Bath, and Dingmans Ferry??  When I file taxes for my State they ask if I collected any sales taxes for Philadelphia, but have not noticed these 2 on the states tax website yet.   I understand smaller areas are asking for more taxes like some of the bigger cities do but it would be nice to be notified when a CC processor starts showing it on reports to let the business owners know.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 4 of 27
Admin

I'm so sorry I'm seeing this so late @Candlestore. Has this been resolved? 

Message 5 of 27
Square Champion

@isabelle ;

No this has not been resolved and someone else in the forum asked about it too.

Here is a Link to their question about it and I linked a response to this thread.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 6 of 27
Square Champion

@isabelle ;

Not sure why I forgot or this link did not post but here it is:

General-Discussion/tax-reports/td-p/683418 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 7 of 27
Admin

Sorry for the delay @Candlestore ! I will look into this today. 

Message 8 of 27
Square Champion

Message 9 of 27
Admin

@Candlestore I took a look at your account and here's what I found:

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 8.57.45 AM.png

Along with the language: We use tax registrations to accurately auto calculate taxes for Square Online orders, as well as delivery orders on Retail POS. A tax registration state is one where you have a business presence. This could be your storefront, home office, warehouse or a location where you deliver to. We have pre-configured your tax registrations based on your Square locations. Add new tax registrations if you plan to deliver orders to a county outside of your existing registrations.

Did you recently start using the Retail POS app when you didn't before? How about online orders? Let me know @Candlestore !

Message 10 of 27
Square Champion

@isabelle ;

I have been using Square for retail since 2020.... the free one until I started with the supersellers then started using the paid version.  As for Online, I only sell online through a different company.  Now with one of the newer features with Square I have taken phone orders , and choose Ship to, (I believe is the wording) a customer for a few orders.  I understand that Square calculates and will let me know the $ amount, but still have no idea what the % is Square is calculating this tax based on.  

Plus when I go to MYpath...(PA's Tax website for business Sales Tax Payments, they have not asked about these local taxes for those two locations I mentioned.  Philadelphia and Alleghany are the only two I think they ask me about as of last month.

I guess I am asking why does Square not set up something in the Tax areas stating .... Hey Square seller we have added these taxes below and we are collect this sales tax %, $ amount etc per transaction for these areas.  

Pennsylvania's Sales Tax is 6%.  But Square also preconfigured some for Bath and Dingmans Ferry which I do not know their rates.  So Square was notified, added a Tax to my report, and I have no idea what rate it is and even on my Transaction report it just shows Sales Tax..... so I can not even use a csv file to pull out the different taxes Square set aside or calculated.  If I had a csv file that showed these different taxes that would be very helpful.  I have the PA sales tax being calculated for my items but these Bath and Dingmans Ferry rates are on top of the Sales Tax and I do not know what those are, and Square if they are setting these rates aside and calculating them they should at least let us know what rates they are.  This way I can confirm that Square is applying the correct amount.   I know for Philadelphia there is an extra 1% tax on income for people that work with in city limits.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 11 of 27
Square Champion

@isabelle ;

I just went to look at my Taxes and this is what I am referring to.

Pa sales Tax.png

As you see in the above picture my Pa Sales Tax for In-store purchases is at 6%.

Tax Registrations for United States Pennsylvania are ???    And then when I click Manage on the right side I get the Image you posted before.  Even if I click Pennsylvania all I get the option to do is delete it.  No rates are shown.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 12 of 27
Admin

Can you show me where you see the Tax Registrations for United States Pennsylvania shows up in reporting? Does it indicate the percentage there @Candlestore ?

Message 13 of 27
Square Champion

@isabelle ;

It does not show the % there just the $ amount.

dashboard/sales/reports/taxes 

On this screen you can see it says PA tax.... but if I sold in Dingmans Ferry or Batch it would show there but again no % but I have that as shown in the screen above where it is headed Tax Rate then shows 6% on the far right.   Shouldn't a tax page show the rates for all Pennsylvania Tax and the rates?

That is the other problem Squares Tax Reporting groups all those taxes together in reporting in Transactions Detail, Summary etc.   Now I can go on the Dash board to the Sales / Report / Taxes and see the $ amount Square is reporting and that is about the only place.  If you go there in my reports and change the Time to this year .... 2023 you will see Dingmans ferry with $ amounts and Bath as all $0.00

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 14 of 27
Square Champion

@isabelle ;

It does not show the % there just the $ amount.

dashboard/sales/reports/taxes 

On this screen you can see it says PA tax.... but if I sold in Dingmans Ferry or Bath it would show there but again no % but I have that as shown in the screen above where it is headed Tax Rate then shows 6% on the far right.   Shouldn't a tax page show the rates for all Pennsylvania Tax and the rates?

That is the other problem Squares Tax Reporting groups all those taxes together in reporting in Transactions Detail, Summary etc.   Now I can go on the Dash board to the Sales / Report / Taxes and see the $ amount Square is reporting and that is about the only place.  If you go there in my reports and change the Time to this year .... 2023 you will see Dingmans ferry with $ amounts and Bath as all $0.00.  As you can see Bath shows $0.00 but Dingmans Ferry shows $2.30 of taxes Square is saying I owe to Dingmans Ferry for this year.  Which was automatically adjusted by Square with the Automatically Pre-Configured PA taxes.  Just no way to see what rate each is Pre Configured at.  You asked if I see a report for the Transactions showing the % for these areas.  Square reporting just shows Sales tax or Tax on transactions reports all grouped together.  The Tax report I took a screen shot of below is the only place I see these other 2 taxes along with the regular sales tax. My screen shot also shows which report on the square dashboard I was at.  You also asked me if other reports show these rates which is kind of my question too.... Where or on what report can I see the % Square is reporting to these other areas so I can plan this for My Taxes?

taxes.png

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 15 of 27
Square Champion

Message 16 of 27
Square Champion

@VanKalkerFarms ;

Nothing    have not heard anything else besides what is in this feed.  After seeing your post earlier I replied back to @isabelle with a screen shot of the only information on a $ amount of this.   Taxes on other reports just Show taxes.... not specifics that I see split.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 17 of 27
Square Champion

I figured, I was just bumping it in hopes of it getting back on someone's radar.

Message 18 of 27
Square Champion

@isabelle and @VanKalkerFarms ;

Guess I need to call to see what is up.  When I did my Sales Tax for PA at the beginning of October there were no new questions regarding these 2 taxes Square is reporting.  So now I am wondering is my Sales Tax being over inflated for what I should be paying to the State of PA?

Here is a screen shot of the questions I get asked when doing my Sales Tax for the state.  This is here so when Support asks for information I can point them to this thread.

pataxquestions.png

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 19 of 27
Admin

Yes! So true. You posted in the general community so anyone should have access to view this thread and get more context.

I wish I could be of more help, but I worry this is an 'works as intended' situation rather than a bug. Please keep me updated @Candlestore and let me know how your interaction with Support goes.

Message 20 of 27
Square Champion

@isabelle ;

Just following up, Called support was on phone for 45 min then I had to go.  Tried chat latter on..... that was a half hour and I had to go again because of me trying to run a business.  Got home at 3:30 and am on the phone with support again.  Waiting to be transferred to Square Tax Support since Square support. Now told that they will call me back in 24 to 48 hours.  

Now I did calculations on the Bath taxes... 

$38.25 with a 6% tax comes out to a Tax of 2.295 cents rounded up comes to the $2.30 showing in the screen shot below in another of my replies.  Plus the 6% I have calculated at 6% seems like Square is either saying I would be paying 12% sales tax in PA which is wrong, or is now showing that my State Liability will be broken out into each towns and cities payments in PA if I use Square for my Phone orders, instead of just showing them grouped as PA sales tax.  Now there are certain areas that have extra taxes but I am not sure if they are on top of the Regular PA sales taxes that I collect.  If the Bath and Dingmans Ferry taxes are just normal Sales Tax that the State of Pa redistributes to these areas it would be nice if Square just put that in with the Tax or not.

The way Square has it listed is very confusing and undocumented.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 21 of 27