x

Square Options for Printing on Butterfly Jewelry Tags

It's been over 4 years and still no solution for printing Jewelry labels. I would think this would be added by now! Has it not been done because the barcode doesn't scale so small and still work with the scanner? We did have that issue with another POS. But we want to stay with Square and our primary sales are jewelry. We do still print on regular labels and fold them over the barbell or butterfly label end once looped around the jewelry. This is a waste of labels and I an still anxiously awaiting square's tech team to figure this one out. I can't be the only one!!

Message 1 of 18
3 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

@ExpressionsCoop ;

We make handmade Jewelry along with our candles, and I have been using my printers settings to make my own barcodes that fit on a Barbell Label.  Basically I bought a Direct Thermal Printer and use that software and have created my own labels.  I can print 1D or 2D barcodes since I use 2D scanner at checkout.  The 2D barcodes fit nicely on a Barbell Label and can contain 30 characters.  I think the main problem with Square and Barbell labels is what you touched on, with the Length of a 1D barcode that is both Letters and Numbers.  Squares auto generated SKU is both numbers and Letters which makes barcodes longer.  I avoided this by using 2D barcodes and now all my barcodes are about 3/8" square in size.  Both Dymo and Zebra software can make barcodes for labels and have more choices of label size.  Dymo software can import CSV information in to make labels, where as Zebra software you need to buy the Professional version to do this.    Now I did not make this with Square, all I did was copy the SKU from Square and put it in my printers software, then assigned the Barcode font I wanted.  Code 39, Code 128, and UPC-A are 1D barcodes and I also tried different 2D barcodes like QR, Aztec, and a few others and found I like the Aztec ones the best for my barcode reader to read and for sizing.  The Aztec code is a little smaller than a QR code and can hold more data.  The Micro 2D codes got too small or my Scanner could not read that style.  Meaning a 1D Scanner could not read my Aztec code and neither can an Ipad.  but the Ipad can read the QR barcodes in Square.  That is my work around for using Barbell labels with Square POS for Retail. 

20220727_132011.jpg

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

You cannot print barbell labels from the square dashboard. For whatever reason barbell labels can only be printed from POS. We have Square register and have a Zebra connected to that and are able to print barbells & that is how we print. Take a look at the following:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6093-create-and-print-bar-code-labels-with-square-for-retail

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)

View Best Answer >

Message 18 of 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

We are using the Zebra ZD411 (bought from Uline- we have two of them- one for our laptop for regular barcodes and one connected to the Square register for barbells).

For barbell labels we use the following that we buy Zebra Compatible 10010064 Jewelry Labels- Barbell Style from Amazon

Dina

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Super Seller

Best Answer

@ExpressionsCoop ;

We make handmade Jewelry along with our candles, and I have been using my printers settings to make my own barcodes that fit on a Barbell Label.  Basically I bought a Direct Thermal Printer and use that software and have created my own labels.  I can print 1D or 2D barcodes since I use 2D scanner at checkout.  The 2D barcodes fit nicely on a Barbell Label and can contain 30 characters.  I think the main problem with Square and Barbell labels is what you touched on, with the Length of a 1D barcode that is both Letters and Numbers.  Squares auto generated SKU is both numbers and Letters which makes barcodes longer.  I avoided this by using 2D barcodes and now all my barcodes are about 3/8" square in size.  Both Dymo and Zebra software can make barcodes for labels and have more choices of label size.  Dymo software can import CSV information in to make labels, where as Zebra software you need to buy the Professional version to do this.    Now I did not make this with Square, all I did was copy the SKU from Square and put it in my printers software, then assigned the Barcode font I wanted.  Code 39, Code 128, and UPC-A are 1D barcodes and I also tried different 2D barcodes like QR, Aztec, and a few others and found I like the Aztec ones the best for my barcode reader to read and for sizing.  The Aztec code is a little smaller than a QR code and can hold more data.  The Micro 2D codes got too small or my Scanner could not read that style.  Meaning a 1D Scanner could not read my Aztec code and neither can an Ipad.  but the Ipad can read the QR barcodes in Square.  That is my work around for using Barbell labels with Square POS for Retail. 

20220727_132011.jpg

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 2 of 18

Thank you, thank you! Keith, you are awesome for taking the time to give such a complete explanation of how you do the work around! So grateful for your explanation! I will have to see what our our scanner is capable of scanning. I will also have to figure out the 2d conversion. I am guessing the sku numbers used in square can be converted to 2d. I've had these barbell labels in the drawer waiting to be used for many many years! Lots to think about, and lots to do likely to make this work, but I so appreciate your explanation and will try it out and let you know!!

Message 3 of 18
Super Seller

@ExpressionsCoop ;

You're welcome.  Depending on which printer you have and their software, changing barcodes could be very easy.  With the Zebra and Dymo, you select the barcode on your label and then choose the type of barcode you want.  When I tested my Barcodes, I made one sample label and for text I would put the name of the font on a regular cheap label or piece of paper.  Hit print and then tried the scanner.  If it worked I did nothing, if it did not read I put a black line through it.  Then I started playing with Size of the ones that read.  I found with my scanner printer setup the minimum I can go is .010 mils, but for guaranteed results .015 mils is the smallest I want to go.  .010 mils is about 1/4 inch where as the .015 mils is about 5/16 inch square with the Aztec code. QR codes are about 3/8 inch square in size for good read ability for me.  You can also try the size with 1D barcodes like Code 39 or Code 128.  Just remember that if a barcode does not read with a scanner there is no way to tell what it is especially for a 2D barcode, so label them with text size and type of barcode before printing.  The label below was testing the Aztec code at both .010 and .015 mils, this is what what my label software uses for size.  I was going to show the list of Barcode fonts I can use but the computer screen image looks terrible and unreadable.one of my test labels for referenceone of my test labels for reference

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 4 of 18

Excellent! So helpful!! I am using a Zebra label printer. Not sure about my barcode scanner reading Aztec or QR codes, nor how small the barcode can get before it won't read. Will check when I am in the shop on Tuesday and start experimenting!!! Can't wait, actually. We are an artist coop and have 15 artists, 2 of which are jewelers (myself included) and some others that might be able to use these labels for their small items or tags. I hadn't known about the Aztec codes before you mentioned them and may have thought they were just different QR codes. Very interesting! My butterfly labels are the standard 1/2" wide for the Zebra printer, so the larger of the Aztec codes would fit. I may use CUPS to print if it seems to make sense. Zebra seems to not support older free Zebra label designer software. Their $325 label designer may be a stretch for our shop!

Message 5 of 18
Super Seller

Not sure which Zebra Free software you are using but here is a link to the one I downloaded and am using.  It is Zebra Designer 3 Essentials Free.

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/printer-software/zebra-designer-3-downloads.html 

I watched this video from a Zebra engineer to learn how to setup my labels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS5gwiorQ6s 

What I have also been doing with the Barbell labels is I will print 2 labels at a time one on each side and then with scissors cut the barbell label in half to have 2 small labels to stick on an object, instead of using the larger 1" square price labels.  Basically I setup say $9.99 with an Aztec code on both sides of the Barbell, and print half the labels needed.  If I need 24 labels I print 12 labels since each label will be 2 price tags.  Now for our Jewelry, the label is just one for wrapping around the chain etc.  Just another idea for you to get the labels to go farther.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 6 of 18

Ah! A free version which is basic is all I would need, and I guess the other is the professional version which is pricey. We have a mac which might limit us too but I will look around. (the link was for windows) - I will take a look at the video link too. Cutting the labels is a great idea for products that don't need the loop attachment! Very clever.

Message 7 of 18
Super Seller

@ExpressionsCoop ;

Now the bad news, I do not think Zebra offers a program for Apple computers.  You may need to run a windows as a virtual machine or parallels on your Mac.  Since I use Windows I am not sure how to do this but you can do a search for running Windows on a Mac and I found a few answers. 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 8 of 18
Super Seller

so frustrated by it as well= I know there are other softwares (shopify)_ that print to barbells- not sure what the lag Is- but it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult if workarounds are available and if other solutions out there provide it.

Dina

Message 9 of 18

We've recently "upgraded" to For Retail Plus, and find this jewelry tag thing infuriating. Since 2018 customers have been asking for the ability to use barbell-style labels in the Zebra printer, which is recommended by Square as the "supported" printer option. There are many work-arounds, but our shop has a lot of incoming and outgoing unique pieces, and is staffed by 70+ year-olds, and getting them to export the item library to a spreadsheet, and then import that to someone else's labeling program is an insane ask. Why is there not a listing for all the Zebra labels on the drop-down menu in the app? Surely this could have been solved in the past 5 years? Barcode printing is why we all pay $60/mo. for this app, why won't it work?

Message 10 of 18

I agree and support this comment 100 percent!! We have a co-op of artisans and fine artists and really need this to be handled for our jewelers and jewelry designers. I have been using square for over a decade and it does seem that given the interest and need that this would have been handled by now!!! I have still been unable to reliably print bar bell labels and have been waiting for the solution. We are required for the register to work in the mac world, and it seems the solutions are all for the PC world. Very frustrating and we really do a need a solution soon or people will begin to choose other platforms. We were on another platform that provided us with a solution and migrated over with the promise that there would be a workable solution. Please please please hear our cries!!

Message 11 of 18
Beta Member

I have been waiting since 2015. Thats how long I have been using square in my Fine Jewelry store.

Message 12 of 18
Super Seller

You can use barbells now but you need to print via the POS I think?

That's what we do we have the printer connected to our register and can now print barcodes 

Dina

Message 13 of 18

Are you able to give more detail? You are using an ipad for your POS correct? What kind of printer (we use Zebra) for your labels and what kind of labels?

Message 14 of 18
Super Seller

Following this info from Square https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6093-create-and-print-bar-code-labels-with-square-for-retail 

We use the square register and the Zebra printer connected to it and are able to print barcodes on barbell labels for jewelry.

Dina

Message 15 of 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

We are using the Zebra ZD411 (bought from Uline- we have two of them- one for our laptop for regular barcodes and one connected to the Square register for barbells).

For barbell labels we use the following that we buy Zebra Compatible 10010064 Jewelry Labels- Barbell Style from Amazon

Dina

Message 16 of 18

I attempted to use the zebra 2 1/4 x 3/4 label on my mac to print on barbell labels for jewelry (the zebra barbell labels) and it still isn't working properly. I know there are work arounds but I expect after 10 years of using square that this would be resolved so one could directly print labels from square. One community member claimed there was the option to print on barbell labels directly through square, but no matter how hard I tried with various configurations this was still impossible. Square!!!! Please advise!!!! Thanks a bunch.

Message 17 of 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

You cannot print barbell labels from the square dashboard. For whatever reason barbell labels can only be printed from POS. We have Square register and have a Zebra connected to that and are able to print barbells & that is how we print. Take a look at the following:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6093-create-and-print-bar-code-labels-with-square-for-retail

Dina

Message 18 of 18