x

Square POS restarts during the day; closes out cash drawer

Our Square system has automatically closed out the cash drawer and restarts.  Upon starting back up, it asks to enter a starting amount, like at the beginning of a shift.  Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Beta Member

we are having the same issue, at all of our locations it seems to randomly do it and I cant find a correlation as to why came here looking for answers as well.

Message 2 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @agcarlson88 & @zmartin,

How frustrating! I'm sorry to hear about the hassle with your POS. Have you had a chance to check for any outstanding software updates? Which Square hardware are you using? Looking forward to hearing back from you 🙂 

Message 3 of 9
Beta Member

we are all up to date and our systems auto restart every night at 3am 

Message 4 of 9
Beta Member

oops we are using the square register kit for our main registers and the handheld for our tasting bar 

Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

@isabelle 

I am having this same bug, and support is asking for a video of a random event - Can you escalate this to a dev team?

Message 6 of 9
Admin

Hi @agcarlson88 @zmartin @JTPets !

As a member of the Super Seller program@JTPets alerted me of this bug. I went ahead and filed a ticket with our Engineering Team to investigate. Myself and @Arie will provide updates as we receive them. 

Sorry about this! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 7 of 9
Beta Member

I see this is from more than a year ago, but no follow up. I just had this happen to me. My manager and I were standing near the register, and the register suddenly closed, and printed a cash drawer summary. The cash drawer then prompted "Cash drawer not started" and needed to be started again from opening. 

I have the cash drawer summary receipt Actual in Drawer reads a series of dash marks, and Difference also reads a series of dash marks. 

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hello there @MagicToybox

Since this is a more recent report than the rest of this conversation, I will suggest that you contact our Support team so they can take a closer look at your Square Register and figure out what could've caused the behavior this time around. You can give us a call at 855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9