x
Beta Member

Square Register Customer Display Chip Reader Not Working

I'm using the New Square Register since 2017 and today the chip card reader on customer display stopped working. I've tried dipping the card several times and it wont recognize it. The software is updated, I tried cleaning it, and did a reset but chip card reader is still not responding. If I swipe it'll tell me to dip the card but then again the chip reader is not working. How can I solve this problem? 

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @meros. Thanks for asking your question here - it's good to hear from you again! So sorry to hear about the trouble with your Register's Customer Display.

And thanks for listing out the troubleshooting you have already tried. We have some chip-specific troubleshooting steps here that I would like to your try. If those don't seem to work, that's when I would bring this to the attention of our Support Team. They will be able to determine if we need to get you a new Customer Facing Display altogether.

Let me know if you have any questions! I will be keeping an eye out for your response. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Best Answer

Hi there, @meros. Thanks for asking your question here - it's good to hear from you again! So sorry to hear about the trouble with your Register's Customer Display.

And thanks for listing out the troubleshooting you have already tried. We have some chip-specific troubleshooting steps here that I would like to your try. If those don't seem to work, that's when I would bring this to the attention of our Support Team. They will be able to determine if we need to get you a new Customer Facing Display altogether.

Let me know if you have any questions! I will be keeping an eye out for your response. 

Joe
Message 2 of 18
Beta Member

I did all the troubleshooting steps but the problem is still there. I placed an order for a square register this morning with 1 day shipping. Hopefully I can still get a customer display replacement for my old one.

Message 3 of 18

Hi all.

I recently purchased a new square register. everything seems to be working fine and all except for the customer facing display. after connecting it, either docked or by USB, it goes into a connecting/disconnecting frenzy for about a minute. after that it just freezes with an exclamation mark in the middle of a circle. i tired everything that was listed in troubleshooting page. yet i haven't been able to fix this problem. anyone else having the same problem or even better has a solution for me please?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 18

Hi there, @Aseeri - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Grateful that you decided to join us here. Welcome! 

So sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with your Customer Display on your new Register. This sounds frustrating, indeed, especially since you just received it!

I've gone ahead and moved your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also experiencing issues with their customer display - for record keeping purposes. This Best Answer will walk you through our troubleshooting resources (which sounds like you've already exhausted), but we would then suggest your reach out to our Support Team. They can take a more hands-on approach and determine where the discrepancy lays.

Reach out when you can! We will be on the lookout for your contact.

Joe
Message 5 of 18

Thank you for the response @Joe . I saw the thread that you tagged me in before posting, however my issue isnt just with the reader but the whole thing, just to be clear. I sent out an email to the support team yesterday almost 24 hour ago and waiting on their response (24-48 hours wait time). hopefully there is a way to resolve the issue without having to replace the one I have.

Message 6 of 18
Alumni

Stepping in for Joe here @Aseeri

We appreciate the basic troubleshooting you've done. Usually a factory reset would fix that type of glitchy behavior. I'm sad that it didn't help any.

I recommend calling our Hardware Team as well to get faster support. They'll walk through in-depth troubleshooting to isolate the issue. If a warranty is necessary, a replacement will be sent out next biz day so you can get back up and running in no time. 

Feel free to loop back here and let us know how it goes! 

Justin
Message 7 of 18

Aseeri hi!

Do you still have the issue? my problem is the touchscreen facing me, not the customer. It is either unresposive to the touch or frozen. 

did you get a solution?

Message 8 of 18

Welcome to the Community, @bgartistryinfo

Check out this Support Article with some troubleshooting steps for your Square Register. 

If none of these do the trick, I would recommend contacting our Hardware Team directly. They can take a deeper look into the screen freezing for you. 

Thank you! 

Kassi
Message 9 of 18

I have contacted Square many times. So far did a swap. Same problem. Today we received our 2nd swap....will see. Frustrated beyond belief. If this one is not going to work properly then i give up....

Message 10 of 18

@bgartistryinfo

Completely understand the frustration you're having with the hardware. 

Please let us know immediately if you're still having this issue with the new hardware. 

Kassi
Message 11 of 18

My square register is not responding to touch, so it takes a very long time to ring up a customer. The customer dock chip reader is also not reading chips, making the customer dip their card three times and then swiping it. (The swiper works) also, thicker credit cards get stuck in the chip reader, sometimes scratching the credit card.  It’s been rebooted multiple times, reset to factory settings, is up to date, and has been tried in multiple electrical outlets.  We just got it new in March, so it’s not been used much. 

Message 12 of 18
Alumni

@theredhook - Sorry you're having so many issues with the Square Register. Sucks that basic troubleshooting doesn't help. 

Sounds like you might need to swap it out. The Square Teminal is covered under warranty for 2 years so you're elible to receive a replacement. 

Reach out to our Hardware Team so they can walk you through the process.

Justin
Message 13 of 18

My touch screen for adding items has suddenly stopped on my new register....pp. 1 year old now. I have shut down and restarted but still no touch screen. What else can i do short of ordering a replacement register. Currently gone back to my old ipad system for reliability until I order a new register. 

Message 14 of 18
Alumni

I'd reach out to the Hardware Team so they can help reset your registerf manually. @allaboutnature 

Justin
Message 15 of 18

Hi there, new here.  Wasn't sure how to report my problem which is exactly same (the customer facing chip reader not working).

I did all the recommended trouble shooting.  Didn't help.

Was wondering if I can purchase only the customer facing chip reader only to replace my currently troubled chip reader.

Can you answer my question?

Message 16 of 18

Hi @jjk,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with the customer facing display on your Square Register. If you haven't already, please reach out to our support team here so we can walk through some troubleshooting steps with you to determine the next step. While you can order a replacement customer facing display online, it's worth checking that we've exhausted all other options first. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help!

Message 17 of 18

Help on. Reading the chip stop

Message 18 of 18