x

Update? Gen 1 Contactless Square Reader and Magnetic Strip Reader.

I have questions about my Contactless Square Reader and Magnetic Strip Reader, which, from my understanding, are both Generation 1 devices. Why did Square send a message stating that these were no longer supported for offline use, especially when I used these offline three weeks ago? Was this a recent change? Also, does each device need a software update, or do I need to purchase new devices (Generation 2?)? Also, does Square provide a live person to help answer questions and resolve issues? 

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @PopHarris3.  I checked with a Square beta person that I communicate with regularly.  This is what I learned.

This article should still be up-to-date
https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7777-process-card-payments-with-offline-mode

where Square Reader for Contactless and Chip
(1st gen, v3) still works but not v1-2 (which was deprecated/discontinued years ago). 

Square Reader for Magstripe is still supported for swipe (which is the only capability) 

I’ll add that there are a few active beta tests going on now to greatly enhance and harden the offline processing experience and I know those require the latest hardware.  So, to answer your question, if you can do it I’d recommend upgrading to the latest readers when you can.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @PopHarris3.  I checked with a Square beta person that I communicate with regularly.  This is what I learned.

This article should still be up-to-date
https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7777-process-card-payments-with-offline-mode

where Square Reader for Contactless and Chip
(1st gen, v3) still works but not v1-2 (which was deprecated/discontinued years ago). 

Square Reader for Magstripe is still supported for swipe (which is the only capability) 

I’ll add that there are a few active beta tests going on now to greatly enhance and harden the offline processing experience and I know those require the latest hardware.  So, to answer your question, if you can do it I’d recommend upgrading to the latest readers when you can.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 3

Hi Chip, 

Thank you for the feedback and supportive articles. 

Doc Rob

Message 3 of 3