x

What are the troubleshooting steps for the Contactless and Chip Card Reader?

For the past few months my contactless chip reader won't process payment. It connects to my Note5, but when I press the charge amount and the reader green light goes on, it won't accept the payment. I leave the chip card in the reader for a while then a red light goes on and the phone says need to re-connect the reader. But the app says the reader is connected when I go back to the register screen. I'm thinking something is wrong with the reader but nowhere does it show there is an error. Very frustrating! 

Message 1 of 201
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Anyone else having the chip reader take a long time to connect?

Hey @hairninja76, I'm sorry your reader is taking longer than usual to connect - that sounds pretty frustrating! These pairing troubleshooting steps usually help. It's also important that your phone's software is up to date, and the Point of Sale app is up to date too! 

If those troubleshooting steps don't resolve this issue for you, please don't hesitate to call our team who can take a closer look. 

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

That's no good!

We have an article that outlines some of the best troubleshooting tips for Contactless reader trouble: Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Troubleshooting

Try these steps below to get your reader up and running: 

1. Force quit the Square app and reopen it.
  2. Delete and reinstall the Square app. Note: If you’ve recently accepted payments while in Offline Mode and haven’t uploaded them, don’t delete and reinstall the app or you’ll lose these transactions. Connect your mobile device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app.
  3. Turn your mobile device off and back on.
  4. If the reader and device are more than 10ft apart, the reader will have trouble maintaining a consistent connection. Move your reader and device closer when in use.

If these tips don’t solve the trouble, force shutdown your reader:

1. Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.
  2. While the reader is charging, use a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.
  3. After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.

If the reader lights turn on, you’re all set. If the lights don’t turn on, please try again and make sure to firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds.

If that doesn’t do the trick, you can submit a warranty claim to receive a replacement.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 201
200 REPLIES 200

EJ,

The Square reader is paired on my phone under Bluetooth with the last four digits of the serial number.  The phone recognizes the Square reader, just cannot get past "establishing securing connection."  Android upated within the past couple months.  One thing is that after trying to complete the connection it goes to the yellow lights and then the four red lights on the reader come on for a second before it goes blank.  

I have no problems taking charges with the plugin swipe reader.  Actually I have "swipe chip cards" as "off" in the settings, but can swipe a chip card with no problem.

Steve. 

Message 22 of 201

Any other help available, I have a show this weekend!

Steve.

Message 23 of 201
Square Community Moderator

@SawdustSteve It sounds like you're doing everything right, but in order to really get to the bottom of what's happening, we might need to walk through your exact steps with you. 

Reach out to our Support Team and they'll be able to get you taken care of. 

Message 24 of 201

I sent email to the support team with all the details.  Will let you know how it is resolved.  Worst case is that I just swipe chip cards and hope that doesn't lose sales.

Message 25 of 201

@SawdustSteve did you resolve your issue?  I'm having the exact same problem.

• Bluetooth pair with device (iPad Mini Retina and iPhone 6sPlus) and shown in the BT preferences screen
  • POS app attempts "Establishing Secure Connection" but always fails
  • During the attempt to make the connection, the reader appears to reboot with a quick flash of 4 red lights, few seconds later a sequence of orange lights then 4 green lights.
  • Process repeats automatically over and over.

I have also done the same troubleshooting steps.

• Force quit the app
  • Remove/reinstall the app
  • Reboot the iPad/iPhone
  • Force shutdown the Reader
  • Reader is next to iPad/iPhone
  • Reader fully charged (4 green lights)
  • Reader disconnected from power
    • connected to AC adapter
    • connected to iPad/iPhone via USB adapter, but only for power since the Reader will connect over USB [*1]
  • iOS is up to date (10.3.2)
  • POS app is up to date (4.65 - June 5, 2017)
  • Reader firmware is 201039 (is this the latest version or a known bad version?)

I just submitted a warranty exchange request but I would prefer to get this Reader working as I need this weekend.

[*1] Why force us to connect over bluetooth instead of using USB?  I would prefer USB as wireless connections are not as stable.  The Reader will ONLY work over USB with an iPad2 but why restrict that feature to only iPad2? I use the Lightning to USB adapter for many other things and would like to use it for the Reader connection.  Thanks for listening.

Message 26 of 201
Admin

Thanks for listing all of the troubleshooting steps you've tried @NLAUtah, it's really helpful! 

I have just a few more suggestions that could resuscitate your reader:

1. Update the Point of Sale app. Version 4.66 was released on June 21.
  2. Make sure the reader is fully charged.
  3. Hard reset the reader by pressing the power button for 20 seconds. (Not sure if you've already done this!)

I'm to hear you've already ordered a replacement too. If you're in a bind for this weekend, readers are also available to buy from on Amazon or at Apple stores.

I'll also share your request to be able to connect the contactless reader via USB connections with our Product Team. We hear you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 27 of 201

@Helen Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately these suggestions didn't help.  Still unable to establish a connection.  Since my replacement reader isn't due to arrive until next week, I'll check the local Apple store.  Hopefully the USB option is possible in the near future.

Message 28 of 201
Admin

Thanks for your patience and for trying those steps. So sorry for the trouble!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 29 of 201

I communicated with the support team and they wanted me to send the chip card reader in.  Since I didn't have any known shows in the future, I didn't follow through.  So a show popped up locally and I gave the reader another chance.  It took a long time to do a firmware reboot and now it works just fine with my chip card.

Life is better.

Steve.  

Message 30 of 201

Glad to hear everything is working for you now @SawdustSteve

If you run into any trouble again, send it in with our warranty process and we'll send you a warranty replacement 👍🏼

Message 31 of 201

Twice now, we have received and used the contactless chip reader. Twice, after basically sitting on our storefront counter, it all of a sudden tells me it is "permanently damaged" and to please get a new one. This is beyond frustrating as we rely on it for debit and have no way to tell our customers in advance that this won't be an option, and there is seeminly no reason whatsoever for it failing. We keep it plugged in, so I know it is not a battery issue, and it sometimes will work for weeks before suddenly "failing". Why?

Message 32 of 201

Hey @MeadowbrookBlue! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post here so you can try the troubleshooting steps listed as the best answer on the first page. I hope this resolves it!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 33 of 201

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Square Payment Center Dock

The Square payment center docking station and chip reader are not working. What are my options for replacement?

Message 34 of 201
Admin

Hey @kdelarosa, these troubleshooting steps for the  Conctactless and Chip Card reader should help.

If the steps don't do the trick you can file a warranty claim online in the Square Shop.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 35 of 201

after updating the software my chip reader connection is slow, what can I do to make the reader process faster? It takes me 3 times to enter the card before it registers but it works after but the connection is slow.  When I enter the credit card in by swiping there is not an issue. I think it is with the reader's connection

Message 36 of 201

Hey there @jennjones24  - 

Welcome back to the Community! 

I moved your post over to a board with similar troubleshooting tips for your Contactless + Chip Reader. 

Check out the Best Answer on this post. 

Kassi
Message 37 of 201

I seem to have an issue using the chip card reader to pay an invoice that I had created. It simply won’t connect. Won’t connect to my iPad or iPhone. It works just fine during a point of sale transaction. I even go into the settings and try to reconnect every time.

Message 38 of 201

Hey there @  -

Welcome to the Community! I have moved your post over to a board with some tips and tricks on helping you troubleshoot your Contactless + Chip Reader.

Check out the Best Answers on this post. 

Please let me know if these don't do the trick. 

Kassi
Message 39 of 201

My contactless card reader does not communicate with my new phone even though the app transferred and I can use the manual entry method.  How do I make the card reader happy with the new phone?  Thanks-

Message 40 of 201

Hey there, @ponydoc

So sorry to hear you're having issues with your Contactless + Chip Reader. I have moved your post over to a board with similar questions and information. 

Try these troubleshooting steps to help with it connecting. Also, since you have a new device - check out our Compatibility page too. This lists all of the devices our hardware works with. 

Kassi
Message 41 of 201

My smart phone recognises the reader, but when I swipe the card. It says card not charged????

Message 42 of 201