x

Who represents me (the seller) during the dispute process?

Who fights for us when customers dispute the invoice & did not hold up on his/her end?!

Message 1 of 83
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Great question! We have an entire team dedicated to working with, and guiding our sellers through the dispute process. We're committed to challenging any payment disputes you receive from a customer (as long as you want us to). For a more thorough explanation about the dispute process, please check out this article: Resolving Payment Disputes.

You can view best practices in the video below.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 83
82 REPLIES 82
Square

We understand that receiving a dispute can be frustrating, but know that Square is on your side and is here to help you through the process by defending your case as best we can.

It is important to note that there is a risk of a dispute whenever a credit card payment is accepted, regardless of the merchant service provider you are using.

We are here to help you throughout this process. We will defend your case on your behalf with any information that you're able to provide along with the payment information we have on file for your transaction.

Message 22 of 83
Square

Hey Worried,

We understand that receiving a dispute can be frustrating, but know that Square is on your side and is here to help you through the process by defending your case as best we can.

We are here to help you throughout this process. We will defend your case on your behalf with any information that you're able to provide along with the payment information we have on file for your transaction.

Message 23 of 83

I'm having the same issue with squared. Customer said he was unknowingly charged $350 and is disputing the charge when he remotely paid manually from the privacy of his own home. How is that unknowingly? I'm not paying one penny for this charge and square can try to take the money from my bank but the money is not there. I am on disability and I'm not paying $350 for this dishonest client who received services and was completely satisfied and now in a shady manner is disputing the charge because he doesn't want to pay it for whatever reason. I thought squid was supposed to fight for you. They told me I had a week to file the dispute. I sent documentation AND I sent corresponding text messages between the client and I and within 24 hours there now deducting the money from my account tomorrow. I will fight this to the end. But one thing is for sure, I'm not paying one penny to squared because this is bull**bleep**. I will also file a case with the Better Business Bureau against squared. THE CLIENT PAID INVOUICE REMOTELY FROM HOME BY MANUALLY ENTERING HIS CC NUMBER. HOW IS THIS UNKNOWINGLY??

Message 24 of 83
Super Seller

best of luck, but Square isn't the one in control of the decision. If you really want to pursue the best way to get CC cheaters doing chargebacks is to take them to small claims court.  That way it is between you and the customer and no 3rd parties like Square or the customer's bank in the middle.

CC chargeback scammers are nothing new and have been around for decades.

Message 25 of 83
Beta Member

When you say, "help you win", just curious about what that means. Does Square actively advocate 1 to 1 with the customer's bank? Or does it mean more that it helps you better understand the materials you'll present?

Message 26 of 83

Square has been terrible with my chargeback issue!!!! Still waiting on $1200! I have a client who did not recognize our company name on his credit card statement and then accidentally disputed it, only to realize shortly after that it was legit. The funds were ripped from our account and our client has since provided every single bit of documentation they can to us to prove that they have called their bank and reversed the dispute and since even repaid their bank for the charge and square STILL won’t give us our money back!! I’m convinced they are stealing our money from us. We are in the process of finding a new cc processor bc of this issue bc they also won’t let me speak to a manager, they have asked me for all this documentation saying it will speed up the process only to come back to me with another excuse of why they can’t pay us back. They keep asking me to get another form of payment from my client but my client has paid for the service to his credit card so please tell me square why would my client pay me again!! They have my money and just will not give it back. It’s infuriating.

Message 27 of 83
Alumni

Hey @Nhull - Apologies for the frustration you've been experiencing with this. Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide any further information here as I have limited access to your account. However, I have flagged your post with the Disputes team so that they can reach out to you directly with any updates regarding your case.

Hoping that this gets resolved quickly for you! 🤞🏼

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 28 of 83

I've had a total of 3 chargebacks with Square. One of them was resolved in the Customer's favor because it was an accidental charge by the customer and instead of just calling in and cancelling their order, they did a charge back. Not Square's fault.

Regarding the other two, Square helped me do a complete submission to the customers bank. We sent in photo ID, signed delivery forms, signed credit auth form, IP address of the customer booking, and also a recorded conversation where the customer admitted to breaking the equipment and was charging back because they didn't want to pay. We wont both disputes and Square never even took the money out of our account.

Losing a dispute is NEVER Squares fault. It's the customers bank/credit card. Please read up on which Credit Cards your business accepts and check their chargeback policy. Mastercard is the absolute worst offender with letting their customers fraudulently chargeback, and we wont both disputes against a Mastercard holder.

@Nhull @ebikelane @JonJon 

Message 29 of 83

We have worked with a few credit card agencies now, and square is the best at handling charge backs in our experience. Other companies would not even provide the client name or charge that was being charged back. Some immediately removed funds, and one charged back the same fund three times in error, but took three months to return it. Another charged back the entire fee, iPayment, without giving us any information. We are a medical clinic so the client decided to continue maternity services with another provider after relocating, so created the charge back in spite of having consultations with our doctor and even laboratory services performed. She did not dispute this, but wanted her overpayment back. iPayment filed suit because they wanted the entire fee returned to them, and are now facing a class action law suit. Square contacted us and gave us thirty days to respond.

Message 30 of 83

Well said, "We have an entire team dedicated to working with, and guiding our sellers through the dispute process. We're committed to challenging any payment disputes you receive from a customer (as long as you want us to)"

This is true, as in, they have an entire team to handle phone calls from angry businesses who just had their bank account wiped from a fradulent dispute. The team takes your information and passes it to the customers bank who then rules on the claim. Square has abbsolutley nothing to do with the "fighting" proccess in reality. They pull the money out of your account imediatley after recieving a dispute, if the funds are not available their system re-tries to transaction two additional times days apart from one another, leaving the business liable for any overdraft fees in the process. The whole process is cowardous, the businesses are guilty until proven inocent and square tries to save face by not involving themeslves in the process. That's my experience. 

Message 31 of 83

Hi LPStudios! I apologize to hear that you are having this experience!  I see that you spoke with a Disputes Representative today surrounding this issue. I understand your frustrations with the Disputes process. However,  I would like to reassure you that our team is actively advocating on your behalf. If there is any confusion surrounding the hold policy you can check out this Help Center article. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to respond to the email our representative sent you today.  

Message 32 of 83

I'm currently going thru this process for the first time with a customer in the amount of almost $1000 for services rendered which in this case is a product in which they are currently using and have sent us emails trying to place another order even after this. Considering that the 90 days have passed and the funds are still out of our hands, I really am left to wonder if I should have left Braintree (a PayPal Company) that we stepped away from for after 8 years to venture off to Square all in the name of having our funds provided to us next day. We are a small business and rely on liquidity to run our day to day operations and for the last 90 days going into our profile to see the timer was winding down (those that have disputes know what I mean) is honestly frustrating and I really hope with the information we provided that Square can go to bat for us, since we provided scope of work and invoices that said all sales were final and non refundable. After reading this post a little bit of doubt is starting to creep in as to if I have made the right decision stepping away from my other processor to move solely with Square. I will keep the community posted on how it goes and if in fact square put up a fight for its customer like me. Thanks. 

Message 33 of 83

Oct 20 I get this email:

Hello Double A Services - Radon BC,

We’re contacting you to let you know that your bank account will be debited $2,940.00. Please visit the deposits page on your dashboard to see a detailed description of the charge.

Had one of these before which got resolved so I just followed the steps and submitted verification. Large amount so I confirmed with the owner that she had processed it knowingly 🙂 Square advises they will confirm and report in a few days.

A few days later they send the same email as if I hadn't even responded...AND in those few days attempted twice to withdraw the funds from my bank account which triggers NSF charges.

Reaching out to the community "Hi Square users" for some help here.

Message 34 of 83

Hmmmmmm... so I'm guessing this has never happened to anyone before? I would seem if this is the default position there must be a thread on it somewhere.

Message 35 of 83
Alumni

Hey @rnbc. Sorry you're going through this -- chargebacks are no fun 😖. $2,940 is a lot of money, so I apologize if this caught you off guard.

Unfortunately, part of the Disputes Process is holding the disputed funds until a resolution is made. If your Square balance doesn't cover the full amount, we look to your bank account whether you submit a response or not. Please note, this doesn't mean your customer won - if it leans in you favor, then the money will be credited back to you. 

For your protection, I removed any sensitive bank account info included in your post. Also, I've merged it to this thread so you can see Spenser's best answer, as it walks through the stages of a Chargeback. If you prefer to talk with someone over the phone, call into Customer Success and ask for the Disputes Team. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 36 of 83

Oct 20 I get this email:

We’re contacting you to let you know that your Royal Bank Of Canada account ending in 536 will be debited $2,940.00. Please visit the deposits page on your dashboard to see a detailed description of the charge.

Had one of these before which got resolved so I just followed the steps and submitted verification. Large amount so I confirmed with the owner that she had processed it knowingly

Square advises they will confirm and report in a few days.

A few days later they send the same email as if I hadn't even responded...AND in those few days attempted twice to withdraw the funds from my bank account which triggers NSF charges.

Posting cross group as no response in general discussion. Hmmm who administers THIS board?

Message 37 of 83

Notice of withdrawal?

Oct 20 I get this email:

We’re contacting you to let you know that your Royal Bank Of Canada account ending in 536 will be debited $2,940.00. Please visit the deposits page on your dashboard to see a detailed description of the charge.

Had one of these before which got resolved so I just followed the steps and submitted verification. Large amount so I confirmed with the owner that she had processed it knowingly

Square advises they will confirm and report in a few days.

Posting cross group as no response in general discussion. Hmmm who administers THIS board?

Message 38 of 83

It is not a customer dispute. It was a fraud withdrawal on my square debit card of 403.00

Message 39 of 83

I have a charge dispute from a customer for a reservation.  It states on our website, and i tell them, that we only refund if we can fill the room.  I have not filled the space but sent the person a refund less service fees.  She has not cashed the check and Square is continuing the dispute.  I have explained this on the dispute form.  Square has not acknowleged my communication.  I can't get find a phone number to call them.  I'm going to stop using Square if they can't help a customer who is making money for them.  

Suggestions please.

Message 40 of 83
Square Community Moderator

@BBW7565 - The articles and information posted in this thread should give you some helpful information. Once you provide all of the information to the dispute form, our Dispute Team will get the document reviews done in 1-2 business days in most cases. 

Our Disputes Team is on your side in this, so they'll do everything they can to fight to keep the funds in your bank account. 

Message 41 of 83

That's a flat out lie. Square "Holds" the money imedeatley after getting a dispute, and leaves the ruling up to the customers bank. There is no fighting involved and no insentive for the bank to come to a quick ruling so you're out that money for atleast 90 days. 

Message 42 of 83