x

Why am I getting a black screen when I tap the Square app?

When I tap the square app on my iPhone (10), I get a black screen.  It was working fine a few days ago.  Will I need to delete and re-download the app again?

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Possibly, @Ribbons .

First thing to try though is to force close the app, restart your phone, and try again. A lot of times things just get confused. Also, if you updated to iOS 13 it may have scrambled some things that a restart fixes without any other effort on your part.

Also check for an app update, especially if you did update the iOS. Usually major version updates of the os need the latest and greatest app version to prevent problems.

If after all that it's still showing a black screen, definitely try deleting and reloading the app. I'm using the same phone with iOS 13 and my app loads with no issues.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Best Answer

Possibly, @Ribbons .

First thing to try though is to force close the app, restart your phone, and try again. A lot of times things just get confused. Also, if you updated to iOS 13 it may have scrambled some things that a restart fixes without any other effort on your part.

Also check for an app update, especially if you did update the iOS. Usually major version updates of the os need the latest and greatest app version to prevent problems.

If after all that it's still showing a black screen, definitely try deleting and reloading the app. I'm using the same phone with iOS 13 and my app loads with no issues.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 9

Thanks, @ryanwanner.  I don't have a home button on my iphone.  How do I force close the app?  Thanks for your advice and patience!

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

@Ribbons Swipe up from the bottom of the screen but hold your finger on the screen. You'll see all your apps listed in windows. Swipe up quickly on each app to close it. Tap on any of the blurred areas of the screen to get back to the home screen.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 9

@ryanwanner  You are officially my hero of the day!  I'm all set.  

Message 5 of 9

Never mind, @ryanwanner , I figured it out.  Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 9
Super Seller

Glad I could help! 🙂

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 7 of 9

Thank you Ryan, you saved me from a heart attCk😂😂 when my square app wouldn’t load, just had a black screen. I forget to treat it like my phone, thanks do much 

Message 8 of 9
Super Seller

You’re welcome! Small business owners have plenty of heartattack-inducing moments, the point of sale shouldn’t be one of them. 😜

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 9 of 9