x

Why isn't my emailed receipt / invoice image displayed correctly?

My logo/image does not display in the emailed receipt.  

The image cannot be found.  This is a problem on the SquareUp side.. the image is not linked correctly.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 78
77 REPLIES 77

Give this man a medal, he remembered the Birthday of how long we have all been waiting 🙂

Message 64 of 78

See my reply on a related thread about the topic of broken images:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Images-on-receipt-don-t-display-in-MS-Outlook/...

My tech person is currently in contact with Microsoft Outlook support.

No solution at this time.

Message 65 of 78

Frustrated...  I'm using the native "Mail" app on my new Windows 10 laptop and can not get images to display correctly in my email.

I have uploaded my custom logo into my Square account - I've tried several sizes and both .jpg and .png files.

When I send myself an invoice (I set myself up as a test client), I DO receive the email...  But my logo in the email shows up only as a broken link, just like everyone else here has reported.

I am NOT using Outlook.  Is the native "Mail" app a derivative of Outlook?

FWIW...  The logo DOES show up in my Gmail app on my Samsung Galaxy S8+.

Message 66 of 78
Super Seller Alumni

Make sure the setting are turned on to allow image downloads in the windows 10 mail app.  Here is a how to article about that.  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-sender-pictures-windows-10-mail-app-messages

Message 67 of 78

Thanks for the quick response.

I have gone into the "Mail" settings as specified in the article and followed the instructions.  The first slider was already "On" but the second one wasn't.

I turned the second one "On" (which grayed-out the first), and the images still do not appear correctly.

Sorry, no dice.

Message 68 of 78
Super Seller Alumni

Yea, it's a Microsoft thing.  I use a few other programs and we have the same thing with outlook and mail.  Sometimes they come throught, most of the time they don't.  Don't seem to have any issues with any other mail client.   Don't know any other work around for this at this time.  

Message 69 of 78

Ironically, the Square shows up at the top just fine in Outlook when I get emails from Square.

Message 70 of 78

So here it is April 2020 and this issue is still not resolved.   Has anyone switched to another company and have had successful image display correctly?    I am embarrassed when my clients ask why my payment confirmations do not have my logo and I certainly do let them know that Square has known about this now in the 4th year and still has not resolved the issue.   I would seriously switch programs, if there is another supplier who takes its customer feedback seriously.  Please let me know if you have any advice.

Message 71 of 78

I see this is still not fixed.

The issue is down to Microsoft products (not just Outlook) stripping the second "/" in the second "https://" contained within the logo image URL.  You'll notice the image URLs are a bit strange because Square serves the image from a CDN, with links like:

https://images.squareup.com/Dvl3K7ac0SFw8b210fUCEUP8QkM=/fit-in/320x0/filters:format(jpeg):background_color(white)/https:/d1g145x70srn7h.cloudfront.net/files/74bffa70b56ebde78e9e5a63e386d609c2146ac1/original.png 

*Note the missing forward slash

This issue can be resolved in Outlook etc by turning off Microsoft's URL "fixing" feature:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/message-body/url-multiple-slashes-become-singl...

Of course, we can't go around fixing all of our customer's computers.

So is it possible that Square just not use a CDN for any email images?  (You don't serve your own logo from a CDN in the emails for example, hence it works fine).

Message 72 of 78

I think the real reason is that Square contracts out all its programming so this fails to meet their cost/benefit analysis for a useful fix. Sad that a company such as Square with so many users can’t fix a problem when the solution has been raised so many times in the last 4 years. Perhaps they can’t see a financial benefit in it?

Message 73 of 78

Our logo is not displaying on invoice emails when viewed using MS Outlook.  It displays correctly when viewed on my phone.  How do we fix this?

Message 74 of 78
Admin

Hey @SBlair,

Thanks for reaching out!

I moved your thread to this existing one - essentially this is a long standing issue with how Outlook displays some images, which is why it appears fine when you view it on your phone. You can read a little more about the issue and some potential fixes at this website.

Sorry I can't be of more help here - if you do a Google search for the issue you'll find a lot of folks seeing similar issues with Outlook over a prolonged period of time 😬

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 75 of 78

Thank you for the link but I've used Outlook for over 16 years and this is the first time when I'm in Outlook, right-click on the image and select "Download Pictures", it still does not work.  It has only happened on these invoice emails generated from Square.

Message 76 of 78

From 2017 - Does Tom still work at Square ??? Perhaps he has feedback from the Product Liaison Team after 4 years he'd like to share

Tom
‎[redacted] 04:01 PM

Hello everyone — I went to check for updates and this receipt display issue is still ongoing. I do apologize for how this affects the experience for your customers. While we do not have any updates at this time, I've shared these most recent posts with our Product Liaison team , who advocates for improvements based on seller feedback. We will certainly come back to this thread as any developments become available. 

Tom [he/him]
Seller Community Manager  Square Inc

Message 77 of 78

This was first pointed out in 2016 (more than 6 1/2 years ago). If they were going to fix it they would have by now. Apart from the odd "our development team is working on this" there have been no updates since then.

Someone said back in 2018 "Don't hold your breath for this to be fixed" and this still holds true. If the developers could not fix this in over 6 years, they probably never will.

The only logo that will show up, every time, is the square logo. The developer who coded that part must have left and no one can figure out how he made it work.

Pretty sure Tom is now called Gone.

Message 78 of 78