x

so debit card transactions aren't true payments? thanks for telling me!

I'm new to Square, so when I took a payment (or so I thought) by debit card, it looked a bit different from other transacations i've made via credit card.

But now I'm seeing (I think) that square doesn't actually process payments by debit card--but only lets them show up for accounting purposes? Is that right?

If that's so, did I just allow a customer to make a nearly $300 payment, and now I have to track them down to really get the payment by some other means?

Am I reading the help FAQ's correctly?

If square doesn't really take debit card payments couldn't there be some message that comes up saying, "this transaction will only be recorded for accounting purposes; no payment will be processed."?

confused...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hey @sacredsoma, sorry to hear about the confusion with these payments.

Square processes debit cards the same way as credit cards. That being said, we do offer additional tender options for tracking purposes:

• Check
  • Gift Card
  • Cash
  • Other

Since we aren't able to discuss payment-specifics within the online community for privacy purposes, please feel free to let our Support Team know which payments are missing. They'll double check everything and let you know how to proceed.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction, and let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 7
Square Champion

Taking a Debit or credit card is no different to you the end user.  You will receive payment thru Square from either form of payment (credit/debit) from your customer.  

Square treats Debit cards as credit cards so the card is ran just like a credit card (not like a debit card that needs a pin entered for payment)

Message 3 of 7

thank you, but when I ran the card, Square asked if I wanted to "tender" the amount, which I did.

So why did Square respond to the running of the debit card that way? Is there any way I can re-run that card, this time ensuring it is taken as a true payment with a debit card?

Message 4 of 7
Square

@sacredsoma - It sounds like you may have accidentally ran a credit/debit card as an other tender or cash transaction. When you look at the transaction in your activity, what does the tender type say? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 7

When I look in my list of transactions from the week the item in question is marked "cash", which I interpreted as a debit card transaction. But now I conclude I was mistaken as I marked "tender" for the amount to be paid. So I guess i need to ask the customer to re-supply me with their payment info?

Message 6 of 7
Square Champion

You would need to obtain the customer's card information again and run it manually. I'm not sure where you went wrong on the original transaction. I'm guessing the card didn't actually read when you swiped it and then you chose "Cash" or "Other" accidentally. The button on the card page says "Charge," not "Tender." I guess just make sure you read carefully next time.

Message 7 of 7