x
Admin

How to Establish Your Business as a Festive Holiday Destination

All around the world from autumn through winter, there are holidays that celebrate giving, togetherness, and just plain fun. This festive/holiday season is a perfect opportunity for small-business owners of all types and sizes to be a part of this giving spirit, and to boost their brands and sales along the way. 

As a small-business owner and consultant for 18+ years, I’ve tried a lot of strategies to stand out from the crowd, and I’ve seen the benefits it brings. We also asked sellers like you what their businesses do for the festive/holiday season, and featured some of their strategies here, including decorating and special offerings for different business types. 

Pesso_2-1663852782938.jpeg

@Twiggy, from TWIG Michael Pooley Flowers, decorates their storefront for every season with their latest floral arrangements.

Attract with Autumn Decorations

Tis the season to be merry and bright, so embrace it in your business to attract more new customers. It’s always a good idea to switch up your decor every now and then, and many sellers decorate for different occasions throughout the year.

@Doran, owner of Haute Beauty Guide, explains their decoration strategy. “I have an over-the-top window display each month starting in October … Each year since doing it, I get new people saying, ‘I’ve never seen this place before but your window caught my eye.’ So totally worth it.” Turning every month of the year into a celebration will keep your customers coming back to see what’s new, and appeal to different groups of people throughout the year.

Deck your halls with autumnal colors for the fall or autumn season by hanging up dried or fake leaves on a vine. Or put out some real or fake pumpkins and some fun not-so-spooky Halloween decorations. Setting up a trick-or-treat bowl filled with free fun-size candy can get kids (and adults) excited about their visit, and position your shop as a destination on their Halloween walk through the neighborhood. Putting on some themed music sets the mood for festive fun too.

Pesso_0-1663852765997.jpeg

@MichiganFarmsta, owner of Heidi’s Farmstand & Bakery, lights up their shop.

Draw In with Winter Decor

For the winter season, @AlexandriaK, owner of My Girlfriend’s Wardrobe, says “we always do fun holiday window displays! We do a fun window for Halloween that will stay up for about two weeks with the merchandise changing weekly … For Christmas we decorate a bit more in-store as well to get people in the gift-giving mindset.” She decorates with wreaths, garlands, and fake presents to inspire her customers to buy her products for others.

Fun lighting is both festive and practical for when the days get shorter. String lights or fairy lights can brighten up your space, and instinctually draw in attention and crowds. @MichiganFarmsta, owner of Heidi’s Farmstand & Bakery, sells Christmas trees and wreaths, and they “spend time hanging lights to create excitement. It is beneficial to hang the lights because it gets dark so early.” Some neighborhoods also make lists of decorated houses and stores, and becoming a local attraction is perfect free advertising. 

Pesso_1-1663852765988.jpeg

@Lovewell, owner of Lovewell Tea & Coffee, shows off a seasonal drink in a festive setting.

Stand Out with Seasonal Offerings

Festive Food & Drinks

Changing weather can bring a change of tastes. If you serve food or drinks, then spicing up your menu with some festive flavors can help draw in customers. You can play with some fall flavors like pumpkin, apple, and corn; as well as winter ones like mint, cinnamon, nuts, and ginger. 

@Lovewell, from Lovewell Tea & Coffee, “will launch at least two separate drink menus, one for fall and then one when we move closer to winter. We do some fun drinks and shenanigans for families on Halloween … We have a fun staff tree decorating party. We also take part in serving drinks at a local makers market and will sometimes have a very small version of a makers market in our shop.” 

Retail Refresh 

If you’re in retail, you can offer add-ons that reframe your products as presents for family and friends. @HHcsJoe, from Hymn & Hawe Country Store, does this and more, fully diving into events and in-store offerings. He says, “our town holds an Apple fest so all things pumpkin spice, apple, and maple come to the forefront … We usually hold three weekend events starting with Black Friday/Small Biz Saturday. We offer free gift wrapping, snacks throughout the day, and usually in-store specials … We set holiday-themed tables up throughout the store with candle displays, dishes, and glassware and decorate our 11’ Christmas tree with ornaments that are for sale.” Inspire your customers with ideas to make your products part of their own holiday experience for their homes and their families.

Seasonal Services

You can even have some fun with spicing up your services too. @JessPoynter, from Jess Poynter Style, has a special pumpkin spice treatment along with her shampoos in the fall, and even makes a specialty Thanksgiving cocktail for her clients during that time of year. Around Christmas, she hands out special prizes to clients too. She even gives back to the community by running a canned food drive in one of her locations, which not only helps those in need but also shows that she runs a business that cares about the neighborhood. 

Get Creative

There’s no wrong way to do the festive/holiday season, so experiment with some fun new ideas. Incorporate your own family traditions and start promoting your business as a great place to go this autumn and winter.

See More Articles in this Series:

Do you have any extra tips to share? Leave your best decorating strategies and special offerings in the comments, along with some pictures or videos of your holiday set up! 

This article is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal, financial, or tax advice. For specific advice applicable to your business, please contact a professional.

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square Champion

Wow! What a roundup @Pesso ! 

So many ideas here! Once again, @Twiggy doesn't disappoint with those gorgeous displays 😊

Hope this starts to get everyone into the holiday spirit! 

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 2 of 13
Admin

Thanks so much @JessPoynter !
And we have 3 more coming over the next few weeks, so stay tuned!

And thank you for sharing so much too.

Sooo many cool decorations and ideas all around! Can't wait to share the rest.

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 3 of 13
Square Champion

@Pesso These are all great tips! @Twiggy windows are incredible!  

I look forward to our holiday window displays each year!! Halloween goes up next week. 

This year I decided to do a "lighting" party and get people into the shop to mingle and spend on the first night the Halloween window goes up.  It was prebook and offered to my top spenders.  A little wine+cheese and holiday lights plus the first look at the holiday gift baskets and discounts on end of year facial subscriptions.  

I'll take whatever works and dump things that don't for the Festive season window event in November.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 4 of 13
Admin

Right? @Twiggy 's dec's go all out! 

So excited to see your Halloween displays- definitely share them here if you can!

Oooh, that sounds so cool, @Doran ! Such a great way to reward and treat your top customers and make a fun happening out of decorating and featuring new products!

Thanks so much for sharing-

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 5 of 13
Square Champion

Thanks for the great ideas @Pesso. You reminded me that our window display has not been updated for the festive holiday season. Took out the yellow and orange leaf garland, and put some pumpkins in the windows. In general we could do a better job in updating our window displays more often. Moving things around helps customers see items they may not have noticed before. 

Message 6 of 13
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @TCSlaguna - we appreciate your candor and the extra tips!
I'm so glad that this could serve as a reminder and inspiration to jump on in and decorate. We'd love to see a picture of your setup.

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 7 of 13
Square Champion

thanks for the advise. 

As a metaphysical shop, Spooky Season is THE season. We go really really big on decorating- we actually have different figures that are built for our store that come out the windows. Last year we had a dragon that blew smoke- this year we're doing something different and I'll definitely get photos when it's installed. Our back garden we're doing a rise of the jackolanterns type thing. Windows are already sorta decorated BUT we will do it up more once everything gets delivered 

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 8 of 13
Admin

I love that y'all go all in on Spooky Season! Those custom figures and the giant working smoke-blowing dragon sound absolutley incredible. Can't wait to see what you do this year - looking forward to seeing those photos!

Thanks so much again for sharing @DLRosenberg !

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 9 of 13
Square Champion

Thanks for the advise. Your article reminded me to get to our holiday calendar... 3 weekends til Black Friday- yowza!

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 10 of 13
Admin

Awesome, @DLRosenberg , I'm glad that it could help a bit with the planning!

Wow, yea that's coming up quick - rooting for ya!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 11 of 13
Super Seller Alumni

We need to work on decorating more to bring more customers in, but being a bakery we already have a lot of holiday business. Its cookie season after all and we are a cookie bakery! lots of gingerbread and frosted christmas cookies right now! We also have holiday baking classes.

This article offers a lot of good ideas for improving for next holiday season!

Jessica
Owner/Founder
We'reDough Bakery and Cookie Dough Cafe
Flint, MI
Message 12 of 13
Admin

That's so great that you've already been getting a lot of sales and customers around the holidays, @weredoughcookie !

Mmm, those sounds amazing - can you share some pictures of those delicious sounding cookies?

Oooh, I love the idea of doing holiday baking classes - so clever! How have those been going?

Thanks so much for sharing-

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 13 of 13