x

Re: How do I dispute a dispute? I never authorized a refund and yet one was taken from my account!!!

This is unacceptable. I am VERY disappointed in the lack of support regard disputes. I had a signed contract with a client who booked services with me over 7-8 months ago. She completed the payment via an invoice. There is supposed to be a dispute limit of 4 months on VISA credit cards. In all my contracts, it clear states that no refunds or exchanges are allowed once the initial payment is received. This was explained over the phone and in writing on several occasions. I provided all the documentation that was require to have in order to rule in my favor. Then guess what, the bank ruled in the customer's favor. This is NOT ok. I spent several hours preparing for the clients event, drafting documents, and now I am getting nothing for all that work I spent. I already paid sales tax, income tax, etc on that payment. As a result of this - I WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTING CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS. If you are having a similar issue, as a business owner - I would advise you to immediately stop accepting credit card payments. This customer committed fraud and the banks do not care. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hello @msv1013

We see its your first time posting in the Seller community, welcome! We understand it can be a frustrating experience as a business owner when chargebacks

occur. Unfortunately this is always a risk anytime a business owner allows credit card processing as a modality of payment regardless of what payment processor this occurs with. 

Just as it would be your right as a consumer to dispute any charge you felt was unjust or felt unsatisfied with the product or experience purchased, it is also the right of any consumer who chooses to pay with a debit or credit card. For this reason, the Fair Credit Billing Act was passed into law, and is something that can't be overwritten by a contract in place. 

While we understand this to be a common frustration among many business owners, we find it insightful to understand the process of how disputes are handled.

Hope this provides some guidance!

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2