x
Admin

Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hello Seller Community! 

Am I able to backdate or edit a transaction after the sale is complete? What if the sale occured earlier and I recived payment at a later date? 

Message 1 of 135
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting, 1099-K's, and chargebacks. Also it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 135
134 REPLIES 134
Super Seller

There is not a way to add transactions to previous days.  Square POS is a real-time POS, meaning the minute a sale is entered it is recorded.  any sales entered to make up for previous missed sales would be recorded as the day they are entered on.

Message 64 of 135

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: add a missed cash or check sale for previous date

Does anyone know how to add a cash or check sale for a previous date? 

Scenario: we record all transactions on Square, though my receptionist forgot to record a check on a previous date and now I want to add it to the previous report so my reports are accurate.  Seems simple enough for this mighty software, right?

Message 65 of 135
Super Seller

Square POS is a real-time data system, so all entries are entered the moment they are added, there isn't a way to pre-date or post-date a transaction.

Message 66 of 135

I have the same situation as Laketown, and Square claims it's to prevent fraud, but because I've been overwhelmed with getting my business rolling and missed a pymt., it will now look like I'm committing fraud with mismatched dates on transactions.  I don't see why dates can't be modified if there are permanent markers attached to the transaction showing that dates have been modified.  I now have to deal with this on my end when Square should allow me to keep real, true, and accurate records from their end.

My bad, but your bad too!

Message 67 of 135
Square Community Moderator

HI @needso2 - we hear you on this one. Our Product Team is keeping tabs on this discussion from afar to measure the volume of Sellers asking for this.

Thanks so much for hanging tough until this one comes to fruition. We will drop any updates we have here. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 68 of 135

Just adding that I would like to have this as well. We do a lot of cash sales and sometimes things get entered twice or are missed at the time. 

Message 69 of 135

Non credit card transactions absolutely should be able to modified as long as its within the same tax year. Squares Support Staff argument against editing is tax related and reporting issues. If its a non credit card transaction in same tax year it should allow for edits. 

Message 70 of 135

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: 2018 invoice missing payment

How do i add a payment to a invoice that was paid and invoiced in 2018 So it dosent show up on 2019 revenue?

Message 71 of 135
Super Seller

all payments will be posted the day you enter them, there isn't a way to change the date of the payment application.

Message 72 of 135

Does anyone know how to change the amount  After dollar after the transactions  Ben closed

Message 73 of 135

Does anyone know if I can back date a sale that got missed and happened in 2018?

Message 74 of 135

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Transaction Editing" The author has been notified via email.

I need to edit a transaction to add more detail on the work that was completed and send to the customer.

Message 75 of 135

Does the Square system allow you to edit which employee a transaction is linked to? If the wrong employee code is entered, or none at all, it now reflects a false record, which can be a pain when trying to look back at the system for accurate info. It seems like there should be a way of editing which employee code is linked to a transaction; if there is, please let us know. Thanks. 

Message 76 of 135

Hi there, @deluxehairsalon. Thanks for taking the time to post up here on the Seller Community! We appreciate your input and we are stoked to have you here.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into a similar thread of Sellers who are also asking for the ability to edit payments. As of now, this feature is not available. The only work-around in this case would be to refund the transaction, and then re-process under the correct employee login - which we realize is not ideal.

Editing past transactions poses a lot of risks. These are limitations that are actively being reviewed by our Product Teams. Thanks for your patience as we continue to strive to make our products more efficient and customizable for all. 

If there is any change to this feature going forward, we will be sure to update everyone here.

Joe
Message 77 of 135

Hi!

One of our stylists accidentally forgot to type in their passcode before checking out products for their client. Is there a way to move the items to the correct team member?

Thanks!

Message 78 of 135

Hi there, @hairco 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding editing team member transaction labeling. Currently this remains a Feature Request, meaning there is no way to edit this information on a transaction.

The workaround here, although not ideal, would be to refund the transaction and retake payment with the correct employee account.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Joe
Message 79 of 135
Beta Member

An employee created an invoice but used a custom invoice item instead of a preconfigured menu item, resulting in a rather large uncategorized sale. Is there any way for me to go back and edit the invoice item so that it is categorized properly?

Tags (1)
Message 80 of 135
Admin

Hi @pvoc3000. I moved your question over to this relevant thread. We unfortunately don't offer the ability to edit an invoice/transaction after it has been paid.

The only way to have the paid invoice be categorized properly would be to refund the invoice and reprocess the transaction with the correct information.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 81 of 135

I have some issues with modifying a previous transaction as well.  The taxes weren't entered in correctly the first time and there's no way to modify the payment unless I refund and re-do the transaction, but then the date of the actual payment does not reflect the sales on Square anymore since I cannot backdate a sale.  

Very frustrating.  

Message 82 of 135

We hear you, @Jenn33. These are limitations that are actively being reviewed by our Product Teams. Thanks for your patience as we continue to strive to make our products more efficient and customizable for all. 

If there is any change to this feature going forward, we will be sure to update everyone here. 

Joe
Message 83 of 135

I'm hopping on in the hopes that there will be an update, as well. I accidentally had the wrong sales tax activated all weekend, and it sure would be nice to be able to go back and correct that. 

Message 84 of 135