x
Square

Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Square Loyalty ๐ŸŒŸ

Join the Square Loyalty team (@cspillane@seiderman) alongside Square small business evangelist and former Super Seller@Pesso (former owner of Pessoโ€™s Ices & Ice Cream with 5+ years of experience using Square Loyalty at his business) on February 24 for a Q&A about Loyalty.

Weโ€™d love to hear whatโ€™s working well for your business, as well as ways we can better serve your needs.

Date: Friday, February 24, 2023

Time: 7 a.m. AEST

Example questions and comments:

• How can I increase awareness or drive enrollments for my loyalty program?
  • Whatโ€™s the best way to get started with Loyalty Promotions?
  • If Square could add [describe feature], it would really help my business to [describe outcome].

Please post questions in advance, and be on the lookout for a "Best Answer" summary following the discussion. We look forward to seeing your questions and comments.

Square-Registerpng.jpg

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty
Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi Community,

Thank you for taking the time to join the Loyalty Q&A. Corey SeidermanLorna Zhang and I enjoyed the interactions and especially appreciated Aylon Pesso (former Super Seller and owner of Pessoโ€™s Ices & Ice Cream) joining in on the conversation. Our #1 goal as the team behind Square Loyalty is to build a product that supports your needs. Weโ€™re grateful you took the time to ask questions and share your perspective โ€” so again, thank you!

To close out the event, hereโ€™s a recap on recurring themes we saw:

1. How can I get set up with Square Loyalty? 

• Check out this Getting Started guide for an overview of how Square Loyalty works + a step-by-step walkthrough of setting up your program.
  • Bonus: this FAQ page also has some good content in it. 

2. Can I structure my loyalty program in tiers?

• This functionality is coming soon! The Loyalty team recently launched status tiers to Beta which allows sellers to customize their earning rules based on the depth and/or tenure of different buyer groups. Stay tuned for more information; weโ€™ll announce broadly when the feature becomes generally available. 

3. Does Square Loyalty work with Square Invoices? 

• Yes! Customers can now enroll and accrue points via invoiced orders (and when returns are processed, points are deducted accordingly). 
  • Note: reward redemption is still limited to checkout at your point of sale or via your Square Online site. 

4. Where can my customers see their loyalty points?

• Digital receipts โ€” Customers can see points earned from the transaction tied to the receipt.
  • Loyalty status page โ€” Linked at the top of the digital receipt, customers can see their total point balance, available rewards, and any recent loyalty activity. Check out your custom URL here, and share it if you like.

For the latest features and functionalities, check out Squareโ€™s Product Updates feed.

Until next time, 

-Ciara

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty

View Best Answer >

Message 22 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Admin

Thanks for holding this Q&A event and for the awesome introduction, @cspillane !
I'm super excited to jump in and help answer folks' questions as we go!

๏œ๏ธ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 2 of 22
Super Seller

More love for AU - awesome... Loyalty is on my todo list for this year!

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 3 of 22
Square

Nice! Let us know if you have any questions when you're ready to get set up.

Message 4 of 22

I use Square POS in my hospitality venues.   If I activate and use Square loyalty, can customers gain points when ordering through the QR code system at the table?

Message 5 of 22
Square

Hi @SuperGoodGroup, thanks for the question. Just to confirm, are you using Square Onlineโ€™s self-serving ordering feature? If so, yes your customers should be able to earn points and redeem rewards when ordering at the table

Message 6 of 22

Once you activate LOYALTY does it have to pop up on every transaction?  In a fast paced bar this is not ideal when only 1/15 people are a loyal/local potential ongoing customer.    Can I have it activated, but the pop up switched off.

Message 7 of 22
Square

At this time, the Loyalty check-in option can only be fully enabled or disabled. However, you can quickly move past this screen by tapping the โ€œNew saleโ€ button at the end of the checkout flow. While thereโ€™s no immediate plans to update this functionality, weโ€™re always looking for ways to improve the product experience, so really appreciate you sharing this need with us.

Message 8 of 22
Beta Member

We use Square for our cafe business, and have just started using Loyalty 1 week ago. Overall, it's been really great, however it would be super helpful for customers to be able to update their own profile (if there is already a way for this to happen, I can't find it). This would help with marketing etc.

As far as I can tell, this has to be all don't from the POS, which is quite time consuming. 

We  have quite a few customers who just have a phone number attached to their profile, with no name or email.

I feel it would help to empower the customer a little to have their own portal or something, to be able to add in their own details (we have fields like wedding anniversary in there, but that's not something we are going to ask at the counter).

It also seems the only way for a customer to opt into email marketing (which we have also just enabled) is from the initial text they get when signing up to loyalty with their phone number. there are 3 texts come through, and I think some customers just miss that one.

There are also some customers who have an email attached to their Loyalty account already, but because they haven't specifically opted into the email marketing, they aren't reachable.

And lastly, there seems to be a disconnect between website marketing subscribers and loyalty marketing subscribers (they also appear to be 2 seperate products - one offered by weebly and the other by square, which we are using).

That is a few questions, and i'm looking forward to exploring this further with you all.

thanks,

Daniel

Message 9 of 22
Square

Hi @Traderandco. Thank you for your question and welcome to Square Loyalty! With Square Loyalty, you can offer your buyer points to collect their email address and grow your marketing list.

To enable this feature:

1. Go to Settings from your Loyalty dashboard.
  2. Toggle on Offer customers points in return for their email addresses.
  3. Enter amount of points being offered for email address.
  4. Click Save.

We also provide a link where buyers can sign up for your Loyalty program, check their status, enter their email address for extra points, etc. To access this link, visit the Loyalty page on your Square Dashboard, click on Marketing >> Other. You should see the ability to copy the link to your buyer status page, which you can then share with your customers. Let me know if this helps!

Message 10 of 22
Beta Member

thanks for the reply.

yes, I am aware of those features.

I guess it would be good for customers to have a bit more control over updating their own profile when they want, not just through the marketing link (which we are using).

Message 11 of 22
Beta Member

also, could you clarify the connection (or otherwise) between our square website and the email collection forms there, and our subscribers to our loyalty and marketing?

and in addition, when customers purchase through our square website do they still collect points with our loyalty program? is there the option to sign up for our square marketing through this purchase system?

Message 12 of 22

Do you have any case studies to share for a pottery studio that sells ceramics as well as pottery classes ?

Message 13 of 22
Square

Hi @brunarodwell,

Thanks for joining today! Unfortunately at this time we donโ€™t have any case studies that match your business type. That being said, we do get plenty of subscribers (such as jewelry or craft studios) that have a similar set up to your pottery studio (retail + classes offered). Happy to chat through ideas or suggestions for your setup if you provide more detail about what youโ€™re hoping to get out of a loyalty program.

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 14 of 22
Beta Member

Is it possible to have a unique QR code and card for scanning to identyify customers?

Message 15 of 22
Square

Hi @cirellicoffee,

Yes, this is entirely possible, and you can read more about it in this support doc. Hope that helps, and please let us know if you have any follow-up questions!

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 16 of 22

Have just started using Loyalty.  How do we connect their card to their loyalty profile (or does it happen automatically with repeat purcahses)?  I assume once this happens they don't need to enter their number each time?  Also have seen something about a digital loyalty card for Apple devices - is this available in Australia?

Message 17 of 22
Square

Hey @donutsue, congrats on getting set up with Loyalty! Once your customer enrolls in your loyalty program, and makes a purchase with their credit card, that card automatically gets attached to their account. For any subsequent purchase using that card, theyโ€™ll automatically accrue points without checking in with their phone number. 

On your second question, the recent Square Loyalty<>Apple Wallet integration is currently only available in the US. While I donโ€™t have any definitive timeline to share right now, weโ€™re actively exploring expanding this functionality to additional markets in the future. 

Message 18 of 22
Super Seller

Oh, no!

I Just realised this was this morning! a bit early for me in AWST. I don't suppose there would be a recording available ?

Bruce

Bruce Wilson
Message 19 of 22
Super Seller

If this thread is still being monitored I'm chasing some advice. 

We are a boutique winery/distillery and I was interested in using loyalty in conjunction with marketing to build out 'cellar door club'.

Is there a way I can restrict the loyalty rewards those that stay subscribed to our marketing email ? Rather than offering the loyalty reward to everyone i wanted to restrict it to a subset of members (and this being conditional on them receiving marketing emails).

I'm not sure if this is a wise business move, or whether it's possible?

I know I can drive the marketing sign up stuff form the loyalty enrolment, but it seems like loyalty applies to everyone

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce Wilson
Message 20 of 22
Square

Hey , appreciate you reaching out. While the dedicated Q&A session is over, still happy to answer any questions around Square Loyalty.

In terms of your specific set of questions, couple things:

• At least for Email Marketing, it's not possible to restrict your loyalty program to customers that are subscribed to marketing emails. One big restriction in enabling something like this is the conflicting primary customer identification methods between the two products (email vs phone number). However, through your loyalty program settings, you can enable a bonus point incentive for customers who share their email address. With this setting enabled, customers will receive an SMS message offering bonus points (based on the number you set) for providing their email and agreeing to sign up for your mailing list. You can read more about that setting here. 
  • In terms of whether thatโ€™s a wise business move, this oneโ€™s a little harder for me to answer definitively. What I can say is that the two products (Loyalty and Marketing) should generally complement each other, and incentivize your customers in different ways. Using Marketing is a good way to engage with your customers in ad hoc and ongoing ways, while Loyalty is a recurring / stable program that should be driving increased visit frequency and/or increased spend. For Loyalty specifically, sellers who implement a loyalty program through Square Loyalty see an average increase of ~40% for both visit and spend (loyalty vs non-loyalty customers).

Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Message 21 of 22