x

Can I use a standalone cash drawer with Square Terminal?

I want to buy the square terminal for my wine bar but I don't have a USB cash drawer.  Can I use just any stand alone cash drawer for cash payments?  

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

As long as you're fine with it not opening automatically, yup, you can use any cash drawer.

We use a Push To Open manual cash drawer that's not hooked up to our Registers, and we love it!

Here's the one we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014G8TQK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

As long as you're fine with it not opening automatically, yup, you can use any cash drawer.

We use a Push To Open manual cash drawer that's not hooked up to our Registers, and we love it!

Here's the one we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014G8TQK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 7

Thank you, this is great for off site sales but how do you set it up in Square then.  It shows as no cash drawer and will not end the day or give any reports on it.  It states "No cash drawer".

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @EMW! Welcome to the Community.

Unfortunately if the drawer isn't directly connected to our Hardware through a POS system there won't be a way for it to show up in the app.

You'd have to keep track of the drawer outside of the app reporting-wise unless you connect have a POS setup with us where it's directly connected. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7

Thank you, I just thought I would tell me the sales totals and let me "fake" open a drawer.

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

@EMW Sure thing! I see what you're saying. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for asking this. I wanted to do the same thing but there is no way to do it. Hate having to manually reconcile every day. Wish there was a way to do this.

Message 7 of 7