x

Can I use the Square Terminal with a laptop?

Hello! I'm researching the best, most cost effective option for taking donations the day of the event for a fundraiser I'm planning. Ideally, I'd like to use the laptops the nonprofit already own, which aren't Apple products, so we don't have to purchase multiple new tablets AND readers. Is it possible to use a HP laptop with a square terminal for collecting payments the night of an event? I'd like to sync square up with Eventbrite for registrations.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @180DegreesMN 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Welcome to Square! We are happy to have you in the fold and writing in. 

The Square Terminal is designed to be its own 'stand-alone' Point of Sale hardware option. The Terminal runs its own software, prints its own receipts, and is completely mobile. Due to these factors, the Terminal is not compatible with any other laptop or Point of Sale setup. 

The only reader that is compatible with a Laptop Setup will be the normal Magstripe Reader, which you can use in conjunction with the Virtual Terminal. If you are looking for specifics for which Hardware is compatible with a specific device, you can use our helpful Compatibility Resource page. 

I hope this information is helpful! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions at all. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @180DegreesMN 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Welcome to Square! We are happy to have you in the fold and writing in. 

The Square Terminal is designed to be its own 'stand-alone' Point of Sale hardware option. The Terminal runs its own software, prints its own receipts, and is completely mobile. Due to these factors, the Terminal is not compatible with any other laptop or Point of Sale setup. 

The only reader that is compatible with a Laptop Setup will be the normal Magstripe Reader, which you can use in conjunction with the Virtual Terminal. If you are looking for specifics for which Hardware is compatible with a specific device, you can use our helpful Compatibility Resource page. 

I hope this information is helpful! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions at all. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

I have had some luck, not with a laptop, but a Samsung Chromebook 3.  These are about $220-250 from CDW and a very cheap alternative to using a fully running laptop, or an expensive iTablet. 

I have not tried this on an HP or Lenovo Chromebook 3 yet.

If you sign in with a Chromebook 3 with your Google ID, you can go to the Google Play store and download Square POS.  Log on with your Square credentials.

The card reader should be recognized as it would if you are on a phone running Android through the headphone jack.  You may have to turn up your volume (to unsafe levels), but this is an easy setting.

You will need access to WiFi as there is not a LAN port on the Chromebook.  I use my phone's mobile hot spot feature to complete this.

You will also not have access to the "touch" screen as this is a limitation for Chromebooks, but a mouse and the touch pad will work fine.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Very cool and good to know @earthcirclecrea! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 4