x

How can I change my site from collecting payment to only taking orders?

I have a custom store for physical items.  I had the checkout set up for payment but it has become complicated for buyers.  Instead I want to receive orders then invoice them from Square.  How can this be done>

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @avonglamgal 👋

You can offer free items through your Square Online website by setting the price to $0, or providing customers with a coupon code for 100% off. Then you could create invoices based on the online orders your customers place through your website. This isn't an ideal way to charge customers using your website, but I think it could work for your situation.

Are you able to elaborate on what has become complicated for buyers? We may be able to help iron out the kinks so you don't have to resort to a workaround like this with invoices.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @avonglamgal 👋

You can offer free items through your Square Online website by setting the price to $0, or providing customers with a coupon code for 100% off. Then you could create invoices based on the online orders your customers place through your website. This isn't an ideal way to charge customers using your website, but I think it could work for your situation.

Are you able to elaborate on what has become complicated for buyers? We may be able to help iron out the kinks so you don't have to resort to a workaround like this with invoices.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

We wanted to do something similar as well, except the other way around.  In our case, the host has paid the invoice but wants their guests to place their own orders.  Ordering ahead via our online site would be a BIG HELP as it will be a lot of orders in a short period of time for us as a food truck.  So, we wanted to use the multisite feature to make a 'special events' site where the items are free, since the host paid.

@Valentina - it seems Square online does allow items to have a price of $0.  We tried that, too, but a pop-up warns that items with no price (even though I literally typed in "0") will not be visible.   And it seems that is true as my items disappeared from the site.

The less-than-ideal workaround that we're testing out is setting the item prices to the agreed-upon price and then giving the guests a coupon to deduct that amount at checkout.  Not ideal because 1. the host would rather not show what they spent and 2. the guests have to remember to have the coupon code with them to check out without a charge.

So, for our use case, we would like a site to only collect orders because someone else already paid for them and wants to be a bit more discreet about the amount.

Message 3 of 3