x

How to change my domain name?

I made a mistake in setting up my domain name.  I need to make a simple change to correct.  How do I do this?

Message 1 of 35
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @imagecreate 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

You can edit settings regarding your domain directly from the Online Store tab in your Online Dashboard! Navigate by doing the following:

• Login to the Online Dashboard
  • Select Online Store
  • From the Weebly Dashboard, select Website
  • > Site Preferences
  • Select Customize Site Address

Your settings for your domain or purchased domain should be accessible from this page. We would love to clarify more specifically for you if possible. What specifically are you looking to alter in regards to your domain? We are here to help! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Best Answer

Hi there, @imagecreate 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

You can edit settings regarding your domain directly from the Online Store tab in your Online Dashboard! Navigate by doing the following:

• Login to the Online Dashboard
  • Select Online Store
  • From the Weebly Dashboard, select Website
  • > Site Preferences
  • Select Customize Site Address

Your settings for your domain or purchased domain should be accessible from this page. We would love to clarify more specifically for you if possible. What specifically are you looking to alter in regards to your domain? We are here to help! 

Joe
Message 2 of 35

I started setting up my weebly site yesterday and tried to use my old active web page domain/site name. my computer person later said to use a subdomain that he said would be wiser- how do I change it to the one he sugested?

Message 3 of 35

@fltrker27Take a look at @Joe Best Answer on how you can edit your Domain. This is a great thread as other sellers asked similar questions. Once you get to your site address settings, you can enter the subdomain that you want to appear ie: whattup.sayra.com

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 35

How do I renew my domain name?

Message 5 of 35

Hi there, @keith1950 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us! Welcome!

Are you specifically looking to renew a domain purchased through Weebly? Or is your domain from another provider?

I will keep an eye out for your response, but in the meantime I have merged your post into an existing thread with instructions on how to manage domains from the Weebly dashboard. Most domain renewals can be accessed there!

Let me know! 

Joe
Message 6 of 35

I recently was trying to renew my domain and upgrade my account to include shipping. but it looks like I brought my domain again instead of renewing it. I have one listed that will expire in January and another active one that expires in December 2021. I don't want my website interrupted or down at no point. 

Message 7 of 35

Hey @Unitylifestylez,

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over how to renew your domain.

If you think you might've not done it correctly, you'll need to contact our direct CS E-Comm team who can help you out further.

The Seller Community is more intended for seller to seller conversations so we can't look into your account from here or change anything like that.

Ashley C
Message 8 of 35

Question regarding the SSL - is that also regenerated in the process of changing the domain name?  I'd like to test my site using a subdomain, then move it live once all testing is complete.  The SSL support area says the SSL is generated when you first publish the site...so if you change the domain name, then the current SSL would be invalid if it's based on the current setting.  Is a new one generated when you publish again under a new domain name?

Message 9 of 35

Hey @ZenWarrior and welcome to the Community!

I checked in with the Weebly team and they said it should make a new one, but it might be best if you un-publish the site and then publish again to make sure it generates one for the new domain.

If you’re just changing from a free subdomain to a custom domain then you don’t need to do anything special.

Ashley C
Message 10 of 35

Can I change my domain but keep current web page?

Message 11 of 35
Admin

Hey @Prodigyoutdoors!

Hmmm. Do you mean keep your website design/items/settings but just alter your domain URL? If so, yes you can!

Please go to Square Dashboard > Online > General Settings > Site Address:

Did that work? Let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 12 of 35

i wanted to change my name and did the following steps, but its charging me again for a new domain name and i already payed for it about 3 months ago. i only want to change name and not buy a new domain. i need help!

Message 13 of 35

I made a mistake in setting up my spouse's domain and email address.  When I follow the instructions to get to GENERAL SETTINGS and then SITE ADDRESS I do not see an option to make the correction.  HELP PLEASE.

Message 14 of 35
Admin

Hi @Ceerob1- No worries! Follow Joe's instructions here for changing your domain name. 

In order to edit your email address, you'll go to your personal information page within the Square Dashboard. You'll see the "change" button next to the email address section.

Let me know if you have any trouble!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 15 of 35

I can't seem to login to my website.

I want to change the web address to my new biz name. 

Please help.

Message 16 of 35
Admin

Hey @karrek1!

Welcome to the Seller Community! 💫

Just to be clear - are you looking to change your business name or the domain to your website? 

Are you able to log into the Square Dashboard? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 17 of 35

Hi.  When changing the domain name, would you have to pay again?  I just purchased the plan today and made a mistake on the domain name.. it added the https in it.  

Message 18 of 35

Hi there @Alban

If you are looking to register a new domain name with us, you would have to pay the registration fee for that. However, if you are already on a hosting plan and trying to connect an existing domain you own with us or elsewhere, it should not charge you for that. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about this. Also, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Ellie
Message 19 of 35

its charging me again! i need help

Message 20 of 35

Hey there @RexK9Creations 

If you're looking to modify an already purchased domain, I'm sorry to inform you that this isn't possible. Domain registrations are globally registered names that once purchased cannot be modified per the registry (The institution that controls how .com, .org, .net, etc. domains work) If you'd like a different domain than what you previously registered then you will need to purchase a new domain registration with this new name as long as it is available to register.

JJ
Message 21 of 35