x

Taxes not showing up at checkout for online store

I have set up the tax rates for my square website, as well as item options. Taxes are not showing in checkout.

Any suggestions how to fix? ThanksScreen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.32.41 AM.png?

Message 1 of 85
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @UAKCTUL 👋

Just wanted to jump on hear and provide a bit more context. Online stores should only charge tax to a state IF you have a business presence (nexus) in that state. i.e. a physical address such as a warehouse or office. If you do not have a nexus for the state you are shipping to, you should not be charging taxes in that state. I highly recommend using the Automatic Tax Calculator for US states as that information is updated consistently to be aligned with current tax rules. 

I also found this 2023 Tax Preparedness pdf guide from Tax Jar, and linked you to the page where they explain a nexus more thoroughly. 😊

Hope this helps you out! 

View Best Answer >

Message 69 of 85
84 REPLIES 84

Hello @MattMntSkillz 

When using Automatically calculated Sales Tax, the system will apply the rules your business must adhere to. In some states, Sellers aren't required to charge Sales Tax for purchases completed outside the State where their business is located. However, I recommend reaching out to a Tax professional so they can confirm this for you.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 43 of 85

I am also having this issue. I don't know WHAT else to fiddle with to see if it works lol.  A Lovely Giraffe

Message 44 of 85

Hello @alovelygiraffe

Welcome to our Community, we're always happy to see new faces!

Has the shipping address been entered yet? 

Taxes won't show until after an address is entered. 

Let me know! 

Thank you. 

Frances
Message 45 of 85

I had two friends try - one in MI and one in IL. Neither had taxes show up. My understanding is that physical items are taxed and services are not in MI. Am I correct? So why would taxes not show up in the IL friend's cart?

Message 46 of 85

Ok! Yes! The taxes DO show up after the address is typed in. THANK YOU!

Message 47 of 85

I am having problems.  I only do pickup, and going to handle shipping on a different platform.   No taxes are charged when local pickup is selected. 

https://dh-designs-103514.square.site/shop/tumblers/

Message 48 of 85

Can anyone help me?  My website is useless if it doesn’t charge taxes for local pickup.  

Message 49 of 85

Square Online is not charging tax for my event tickets. According to GA Sales Tax Office ticketed events are taxable. Please let me know how to resolve this.

My website store is Namaste.

Thanks,

Message 50 of 85

At this time Square Online sites will only apply taxes to sales completed with cards within the same State of your location. Meaning that if your business is located in California only California residents or customers with California as their billing or shipping address will be taxed. 

I you wish to charge taxes on every single sale then you would have to manually set up taxes for all states. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 51 of 85

Hello,

We are having the same issue. We sell event tickets, and there is no shipping or pickup component. At the online checkout screen it says Taxes $0.00. Even tho the items feature a tax rate i created.

Please help!!!

Message 52 of 85

I was not able to get a helpful solution for this. Instead I've chosen to structure my digital event tickets as "tax included". Under this present you need to manually add the price of your ticket + appropriate state taxes and list that as the total. Customers can then add it to their cart and after entering their payment info the  receipt will delineate  "___ tax included." It is not  perfect  because sometimes customers get confused/frustrated about the actual price of an item and feel mislead. I approach this by listing several times in the item description that the total is TAX INCLUDED.

Not great. I have been told my an IT professional that this would be an easy fix in their code and I don't know why Square is not addressing it. Every  other online ticket sale service is able to delineate these charges more clearly and across the USA.

Message 53 of 85

Hello,

My taxes is not showing up on shipping orders. 

https://turquoisewestboutique.square.site/s/shop#

Message 54 of 85

Does this problem just go away on its own? I have taxes set up properly and they worked at checkout last week. Now they're not showing up at checkout and I need it fixed ASAP.

Message 55 of 85

Hi @texasridge,

I see this is your first post! Welcome to the Seller Community

I apologize the taxes are not working correctly on your online store. I definitely want to investigate this further. 

Can you please provide the link to your website, and examples of items that the tax did not apply. 

Thank you!

Message 56 of 85

For anyone who sees this - here's the actual solution:

From your Square Online page, go to Settings and then Sales Tax. When you create a rate, DO NOT select "Automatically Calculate Taxes". Instead, click Select States and then click the box next to States to select all of them. Then click save and it should calculate sales tax for any state you're shipping to.

Not sure why Square would only calculate taxes for customers in the state your business resides in, but this solved the problem for our website.

Message 57 of 85

OMG thank you for this information!! I spended 2 weeks trying to find out why this is happening to me and I look through so many forms and self help and I did all the steps doing the sale taxs set-up and I still couldn't find out why my sale tax shouldn't showing up on my online check-out. This should be a link in the sale tax tag because this shouldn't be that hard to find help for!! 

Message 58 of 85
Beta Member

Thank you!!! I was going crazy trying to figure this out! 

Message 59 of 85

I am having the same issue where tax isn't showing up on the check out page even after entering int he shipping address.

Message 60 of 85

If you haven't read Greatplainsvtg comment in this thread, they explained how to do it.

From your Square Online page, go to Settings and then Sales Tax. When you create a rate, DO NOT select "Automatically Calculate Taxes". Instead, click Select States and then click the box next to States to select all of them. Then click save and it should calculate sales tax for any state you're shipping to.

Not sure why Square would only calculate taxes for customers in the state your business resides in, but this solved the problem for our website.

Message 61 of 85

Thank you so much! It worked!

Message 62 of 85

No problem! Glad it help, I would bookmark this just in case it happens again and you forgot how to do it.

Message 63 of 85