x

Unexpected payment

I received an unexpected $8 payment today and have no idea what it’s for. My app show an order, but I have no items available for purchase through Square. I’ve only ever used it at local events and never for online purchases. Also I have no products available for under $15. I’m suspicious of this transaction.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Hello NewRiverBling,

That's very interesting - especially if you have no items available for purchase through Square.  Money just does not appear for no reason (although I wish it would).  There has to be a record of the Transaction which you can see.  In your Square Account on the main page of your Dashboard, there's a selection in the menu for Transactions - there should be some info there.   Funds will show up if you're setup to collect Donations or selling Gift Cards.   (Note, you can also do a refund - for example, some small businesses and organizations accept Donations and scammers will donate $1 to test a stolen credit card - if the transaction goes through, the scammer knows the card is good and will go shopping else where.) 

Message 2 of 4

It is interesting. After further investigation I found the zip code is nonexistent in the USPS zip code search, the city listed doesn’t exist in AL (confirmed by the USPS website), there is a street name with no house number.

Message 3 of 4

I just attempted to process a refund, indicating a fraudulent transaction. Received the error message that the cardholder would need to request a refund and report the fraudulent activity.

At least I have a record of attempting to process a refund, should it ever come into question.

Message 4 of 4