x

Adding notes to orders before shipping?

Adding notes to orders before shipping?

Hey there, I run an online store and I used to be able to attach notes when fulfilling and shipping orders/plugging in tracking numbers, but the UI changed and now I don't see the option anymore. It's pretty relevant to have that function, so I'm wondering if it was moved somewhere.

7 Comments
Alumni

Hey @ZephyrWX - with Square's new Online Store powered by Weebly, there is no longer an option to add a note when fulfilling your orders. 

However, when you mark an item as “shipped”, you'll see an option to include a tracking number, but I'm unsure if that's what you're looking to do. 

I'll surface this to our Weebly Team so we can track this feature request. We'll keep you updated here if anything changes! 

Yes, please forward this to the team. Being able to attach notes to the customer was super useful and important, as I like to write them something nice or notify them of delays in shipping, if I gave them a free thing, etc. It was also the easiest way to send them links to our community pages for future communication.

Customers also used to send us really nice/useful notes too when they placed orders, so I'm not sure if that feature is still in. If not, it should be.

This feature is actually still on the platform, but you can only access it via
Online Store -> Orders

Going straight to Orders from the main side menu doesn't give you this option. Bizarre UX.

Alumni

Hi @ZephyrWX,

Thanks for flagging this and we will be sure to escalate this feedback regarding the user experience. 

As long as it doesn't result in the feature being removed.

Beta Member

Hello! I'd like to just add to this thread because I am still not seeing this and it would be VERY helpful to have it as a feature! 

I work in retail and use Square Online as well as Square for Retail POS. This request is specifically for order fulfillment on Square Online since that's where we fulfill orders from. 

FEATURE REQUEST:

There needs to be an internal communications thread under each individual order for comments and attachments for any internal dialogue about the order...  I know you can leave notes under customer profiles, but that's not helpful for individual orders when there are any changes or if there is a problem with the order and you need to add it to the history of the order for internal documentation purposes. This would be for staff to see only. 

It would also be GREAT if we could email the customer from their Order overview as well, and have that message show up in the History of the order too. I know you have the "Messages" feature for seeing communications to and from customers, but a timeline of ALL order history under each individual order is needed for an online business - It would be BETTER than having to look in multiple places to understand the full history of an order and timeline of events. 

I'm attaching some photos as examples of where it would be most convenient to have these features...

EXAMPLE 1 - WHY THIS FEATURE IS NEEDED:

- Customer Places 2 orders that both qualify for "Free Shipping" (Our offer automatically applies for orders over $50)

- Customer Selects "Local Pick Up" for one of the orders, but leaves the other as "Free Shipping"

- Customer contacts us later stating they would be happy to pick up both orders instead of having one ship

Because we cannot edit the method of delivery once an order has been processed, there needs to be an internal communications thread under each individual order, in addition to the existing order " Date & Description" section on the bottom of an "Order Preview" that tracks the history of the order in a timeline. 

FIX:  Add a "Comment" button & an "Attachment" button - In this example, I would add a comment under the order history to let my employees know that this order is to be combined with the other order for PICK UP and NOT to be shipped. I may also want to attach a screenshot of the TXT message I received from the customer for documentation purposes. 

- If a note/comment is added to the order, a check mark would appear next to the order on the Orders overview page (see attachment). This would let any staff know right away that there is a note/comment on this order and to read the order history section before fulfilling the order.

- If the customer leaves a "Note" with their order, this would also have a checkmark next to the order on the Orders page and the "note" in full would be shown on the individual "Order Overview" page. 

- Customers reach out to you via Email, TXT, FB Messenger, Instagram DM (they reach out everywhere) for changes related to their order at any given time. We need to be able to have an internal dialogue record under each individual order so that everything related to that order can be tracked in one place. 

- If later the customer has a problem with their order, we can go back in the order and read the entire history of the order and what, if any, changes were made and why. 

- If we have multiple people fulfilling orders, having this internal dialogue would be a great solution to keeping everyone aware of any changes on orders at any given time, rather than keeping up with sticky notes or other forms of communication outside of the actual order or Square Online platform.  - I know there are other Apps that are specifically for internal communications, but having that feature HERE under the order itself would be MOST helpful to a business. 

There are a million reasons why this would be helpful. Just naming a few!

See the attached photos for examples and all suggested changes!

This would really be a helpful update! Thank youAll Orders Overview PageAll Orders Overview PageIndividual Order Preview PageIndividual Order Preview PageExample from another platform with this featureExample from another platform with this feature

Square Community Moderator
Status changed to: Reviewed

Hey there, @AmesAtWired

Thank you so much for providing all of the extensive detail on your Feature Request. This gives our Product Team essential business insight when looking into your request. 

I have moved this entire thread over to our Ideate Board, so it can be seen by our Product Team. Once more information becomes available, the status on the request will be updated by our Community Moderators.