x

Split a single item

Split a single item

Allow us to split an item on a check. This used to be annoying, now my staff are using it as a way to steal from me. I will be switching to Toast if there is not a fix soon. This SIMPLE feature that is basic on every other restaurant POS has been requested for years. 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I split a single item on a customer check?

Hello @ShellBellFL4🙂

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't on our road map right now. I'll make sure to share this suggestion with the Point of Sale Team. 

You can split the check by entering a custom amount, but you'd probably need a calculator on hand to make sure each customer is charged correctly. You would have to divide the cost of the bottle on the calculator. Then apply the amount to each split payment. 

43 Comments

Hi @Helen , this is a real pain point for us, not being able to split an item into multiple checks. Is this something on the road map?

Super Seller Alumni

Here's a suggestion that's probably going to prove to be too much effort to be workable.  Could you take your items and make ones that people share fairly regularly into decimal quantities?  Then you could ring them up as portions of a whole, for instance if two people want to share an appetizer, ring up 1/2 of the app to each person.  

I know this isn't an elegant solution and would probably take way too much time and effort, but I'm just throwing stuff against the wall here.

Lets assume tehre are 3 people at the table they order a large appetizer platter for the table and then each of them orders individual entreés. At the end of their meal, customer reaquested to get individual checks. I can create three individual checks with entreés but how do I split the appetizer platter three ways without creating a whole another check and therfore a transaction? 

Alumni

Assuming you're subscribed to Square Restaurants, unfortunately splitting a single appetizer evenly across multiple checks is a feature that hasn't been implemented. You'll have to create another check and split it separate from their entree tickets. 

@mr_ursus 

How can you split one item to multiple checks? I don’t see this option in splitting?

This is crazy a restaurant POS doesn’t have this very basic much needed standard feature? Are they not even listening to people begging for it for ages?

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Ash3 - we hear you. If you'd like more information on how Feature Requests are implemented into production, you can take a look at this helpful post from Kpay. 

We appeciate your patience here.

Makes me wonder if you do hear us because people have been asking for this feature in your pos since 2017?!?

Square Community Moderator

Hi again, @Ash3. We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business.

These requests also span an array of different aspects of our products; some are more major, while some are periphery features. Our Product Teams do have a road-map for future additions to our offering, but the nature of our work includes trial, error, and set-backs. So sharing a timeline would be far from accurate and more than likely cause more confusion and angst. 

We understand that it might be difficult waiting for something to be built out, but our engineers are working on various different requests brought up by our sellers, and working with Apple, Google, and our other partners in order to approve these changes and be able to push them out in future updates.

Admin

Hey @Ash3!

Yes, you can add one item to the cart, then in checkout select Split Amount. Then you can select how you want to split (either evenly or by typing in a certain amount). Here are some images to further explain:

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions about this.