x

How do I add a surcharge to a sale?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

How do I add the fee to the customers bill?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 260
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 196 of 260
259 REPLIES 259

Quickly I would say just add the cost to their payment.

Message 127 of 260
Square Community Moderator

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:

Hi @losreyes78! I moved your question to this thread which includes lots of ideas from your peers on how to do this successfully. 

What @Hardman suggested is a good work-around in this case. I will say that some states have regulations when it comes to surcharges. Because of this fact, we recommend speaking with a tax or legal professional for guidance on charging processing fees for your customer to ensure you are compliant. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 128 of 260

we can add a "tax" of 2.65% and label it "credit card fee"

but the field won't allow for a fixed $0.10 "swipe fee"

Message 129 of 260

Hi there, @CrazyCuban! Thanks for reaching out here. Good to hear from you again.

We would categorize this inquiry as trying to create a Surcharge for your customers. While some of our Sellers have created workarounds for charging the processing fee to your customers, adding a Surcharge rate can only be set up as a percentage in lieu of a flat fee - meaning you can create the 2.65% charge, but a .10 fee will not be able to be added.

I would also note that our processing rates are always going to be taken out of the total of a transaction. Any tax you add (in this case, a 2.65% tax) will be subject to our processing rate along with the actual price of the goods or service.

Lastly, I went ahead and moved your question to a thread of Sellers looking for a similar solution. Please let me know if you have any other clarifying questions! I am here to help.

Joe
Message 130 of 260

How can I pass credit card transaction fees onto the consumer without having to add a button or, have my employees do anything extra?  We just had a conversations with our accountant and were informed that this is 100% legal in our state, and that most retailers are passing these fees along to consumers. We would like to know the easiest way to stop getting hit with square fees on deposits.  Since this is something that's calculated on Square's end after the swipe this should be pretty easy to pass on to the credit card directly vs being deducted from our balance transfers on a daily basis.  

Adding an additional tax to all transactions seems like a way to do it, but would be cumbersome to remove it from every cash transaction not to mention on the shady side when it appears on a receipt to the customer.  Adding a button to CC charges would make sense but wouldn't be accurate since we'd have to over charge in order to make up the difference.  

Message 131 of 260

You are correct.  I have tinkered with Items, Modifiers and Taxes to no avail.  It would be easiest to add it as a Item and label it Processing Fee. Then it should calculate 3% of the Net Sale, but currently Items will only allow a cash amount.  Taxes applies to all sales and modifiers won't give the % option.  Hopefully they address this.  Customers are willing to pay the fee as its becoming more common in our state as well.  Right now my cashier has to Manually calculate the fee and add it as a variable under Items as PROCESSING FEE.  Then it shows on the ticket correctly.   

Message 132 of 260

How do I offer a cash discount, or charge a surcharge for credit card users?

Message 133 of 260

I'm a local artist here in Central Texas and I sell my artwork in a vendor area and I am new to using Square how do I add in for the fees to get my full $25 purchase price from my customers what should I tell them to add to cover the fee and still get my. $25 purchase price from my customers

Message 134 of 260

Hey @A24! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread on surcharges.

Check out the first page and following pages to see how other sellers do this and what steps you should take before applying them. 

Ashley C
Message 135 of 260

[This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can square automatically add a convenience fee to customer transactions?]

I would like to charge a convenience fee on all transactions. I'm not sure about "creating a tax". Its not necessarily a tax and don't want it to get messy when it comes to filing taxes. Is there a way that square can automatically charge a 5% fee on each transaction?

Message 136 of 260
Admin

Hey @ACCOUNTS1-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

It sounds like you're asking how to add a surcharge to your transactions. Take a look at this thread for some insight from other sellers on how they've done this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 137 of 260

I want to add a surcharge when taking a swiped transaction and a different surcharge when we have a card less charge. How do I set that up?   

Message 138 of 260
Admin

Hey @Valley1-

Welcome to the Seller Community!

Take a look at @Joe's verified answer here. That should answer your question regarding surcharges. Let me know if you have any additional questions about this by replying back to me in this thread! 😊

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 139 of 260

How can I, a Pennsylvania merchant, charge the customer credit card fees using Square?

Message 140 of 260

I have a Parking Company and I need to be able to charge my customers who wants to paid by credit card a convenience fee. Only to customer that wants to pay by credit card example

1 Monthly parking $25 per month but if they choose to pay by credit card the same invoice will be 25$ plus $1.50 service fee.

1 Monthly Parking $25 if they choose to pay by check or cash will be 25$

No to increase all the invoices to 26.50?

If we can do something for this i will have 200 customers ready to be invoice on a monthly basis. 

Please advise?

Thank you  

Message 141 of 260

Hi there, @ValetConnect 👋Thanks for reaching out and joining us here on the Seller Community!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding adding a surcharge to their sales. Take a look at the Verified Answer from this same thread, it will provide some context and offer workarounds.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Joe
Message 142 of 260

Is there a way to have the customer pay the transaction fees?

Message 143 of 260

Hi @CFHF and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 144 of 260

how do I charge a usage fee

Message 145 of 260
Beta Member

We have a rep in the area with another credit card processing company that they automatically charge the consumer the processing fees and the owners don't get stuck with it. I love square, but is there away to include the fees into the transaction? So we aren't paying out hundreds a month?

Tags (1)
Message 146 of 260
Super Seller Alumni

There is not any way to do this with Square.  Sorry!

Message 147 of 260