x

Sales tax - how do I create a report that segments my sales by city and tax rate?

I live in San Diego and regularly do shows in other cities in California. Because of this, I collect different tax rates in different locations. How do I generate a report that reflects this? The sales tax filing mechanism basically requires that I 'show my work', and this is a hurdle for me!

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I would say your easiest way would be to break your sales tax up into multiple taxes named for each city/county/state. That way you just apply the ones that are applicable the day where you are selling and your rates are already divided. Or You could just have at list of total tax rates and then choose the correct one at checkout (or apply it to your items at the start of the day) but I would think breaking it into components would be easier in the long run. If you don’t have your tax already broken out into individual taxes square can’t show you it individually just the total. 

https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/reports/taxes

That report will will show the total collected for each tax over whatever time period you choose. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

I would say your easiest way would be to break your sales tax up into multiple taxes named for each city/county/state. That way you just apply the ones that are applicable the day where you are selling and your rates are already divided. Or You could just have at list of total tax rates and then choose the correct one at checkout (or apply it to your items at the start of the day) but I would think breaking it into components would be easier in the long run. If you don’t have your tax already broken out into individual taxes square can’t show you it individually just the total. 

https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/reports/taxes

That report will will show the total collected for each tax over whatever time period you choose. 

Message 2 of 7

Your reports are by the day how are we supposed to get a report by the month

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

near the top of the link above there is a date box you can click on to make it daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, or any date range you want (up to a year).

Message 4 of 7

Hi Were you able to figure this out, I sell lashes online and in different cities and counties , even other states. would like a few tips

Message 5 of 7

Was anyone able to figure this out?

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello, there @mpowell, and welcome to the Seller Community

Although Square provides Sales Taxes reports, it would be wise to consult a Tax advisor for guidance on how to make the most of Square's offerings. They can guide you in the right direction based on your needs and requirements.

I suggest contacting a professional and sharing the report from Square with them. This way, they can provide you with a better understanding of what you need to meet the necessary expectations.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7