x

tracking Colors AND Sizes - subcategories? modifier tracking?

Has anyone found a solution for selling clothing with multiple size color options? We've been building a seperate "item" for each color, but quickly ran out of space on our register grids, so we had to create a category for each type of shirt to group the color options under (with sizes as price points). But since there are no pictures for the categories it's become difficult to find items quickly.

We tried using modifiers for the color options, since you can't track inventory for modifiers it was difficult to keep track of what we needed. Any suggestions?

Is there an update to add subcategories or modifier tracking anywhere in the works?

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @IrishSeams, thanks for bringing this up and sorry to hear about the challenges you're running into with the app.

At this time, we aren't able to display more than five grid pages within Square Register. In addition, the ability to customize the category button isn't available. Our product liaison team is tracking both of these requests, and we'll be sure to announce any updates.

Is there any chance you keep the stock of clothing on-site? If so, you might want to consider using a bar code scanner to help speed up checking out for your most popular items. Learn more about how to set this up in our Support Center.

In the meantime, if any other sellers have any other best practices for tracking a large volume of items with multiple options and keeping a swift check-out process, please feel free to chime in! 📢

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @IrishSeams, thanks for bringing this up and sorry to hear about the challenges you're running into with the app.

At this time, we aren't able to display more than five grid pages within Square Register. In addition, the ability to customize the category button isn't available. Our product liaison team is tracking both of these requests, and we'll be sure to announce any updates.

Is there any chance you keep the stock of clothing on-site? If so, you might want to consider using a bar code scanner to help speed up checking out for your most popular items. Learn more about how to set this up in our Support Center.

In the meantime, if any other sellers have any other best practices for tracking a large volume of items with multiple options and keeping a swift check-out process, please feel free to chime in! 📢

️ Tom | he/him
Message 2 of 22
Beta Member

I sell my scenic photography in various matted sizes and those same sizes framed and on canvas.

To be able to find my work easier, I created categories by season, then the scenes/items under it.

I created 2  modifiers for the following:

Canvas Floater Frame

13x19 Floater Frame 16x24 Floater Frame 20x30 Floater Frame 24x36 Floater Frame

Framed w/Glass

08x10 Frame & non-glare/UV glass 11x14 Frame & non-  etc......

So now when I sell, I can keep track of inventory by the scene, and by the size.

When a purchase is made at the register, I quickly go to the Season category, scroll down to the scene, select it and chose the size. Since I allowed the modifier, I then can select the frame option.

I'm able to see in reports the comparison of how many items sell in Winter scenes, versus Autumn etc, and how many sell for 16x20's versus the 18x24's or other sizes.

Does this sound like what you were trying to have your system do but just in colors and sizes?

Message 3 of 22
Square

@RCT - Thanks so much for sharing!

@IrishSeams - Did you have a chance to check this out? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 22

That only works when you put a cost to it

Message 5 of 22

Hey, could you attach some screen shots? I'm still trying to figure out how you got the inventory to pull with each sale. - Thank you

Message 6 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Dvalleyassoc

Can you provide details on what you're trying to do exactly? What were you needing screenshots of? 

Message 7 of 22

As an additional to this question - looking for guidance for the modifiers.  I don't see there are options to add a picture as it relates to the modifiers?  Am I missing it?  I was thinking of using the modifiers as a way for a customer to "build" their custom order.  As an example, Modifier 1 is color, Modifier 2 to is the topper, Modifier 3 is Ribbon, etc.  So I would like them to see the "color" and the ribbon and which toppers I offer so they can create a custom order and then I can make it.  Does that make since?  Is there maybe another way of doing this?

Message 8 of 22
Admin

Hi @amyt2s, thanks for bringing this up. At this time, the ability to add a picture as it relates to modifiers, or further customize the item appearance as a customer builds their order isn't available.

I like where you're going with this — I can definitly see how this would create a more interactive experience and offer a very clear picture of what the completed order will include. For now, my best suggestion is to be as descriptive as possible with naming your item modifiers. In addition, I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team.

Please don't hesitate to come back with any other insight.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 9 of 22

There are a lot of basic features that are missing.  I wanted to use Square Marketplace, but with limited modifier functionality, a clothing store just won't work.  Plus the help line doesn't know much.

Message 10 of 22
Admin

Hi @TOET, thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I wanted to highlight that we recently released Square for Retail, which features more inventory options — among other things!

Have a look at Spenser's post for more details: Product Update: Introducing Square for Retail. Hopefully, you'll find that it's a better fit for your business. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 11 of 22
Beta Member

the cost is $60/month 😞  Small businesses can't afford that cost

Message 12 of 22

The price for this is far less than several I've used or currently using. I'm looking forward to trying out square for retail now. 

Message 13 of 22

I agree that the cost to small business is too high.  We have many modifiers and it looks like it will track only if you add a cost, that should be a simple fix, not an added cost. Come on..,now other systems are looking better.

Message 14 of 22

Exactly! Too expensive for small businesses! We need help with this kind of variants for clothing.

Message 15 of 22

I absolutely agree. The pricing for square retail is too high for many small businesses. 

Message 16 of 22
Beta Member

I utilize square for my clothing store.  Why don't you categorize the item, then add a variation (size).  I found modifications don't work well for retail unless you are adding a price or an additional item to the clothing.  But yes, I had to make a category "Hoodie", then separate items within that category for the color : "Black Pull Over Hooded Sweatshirt"  Don't... I repeat, Don't just make item item named "Black" as the color.  You need to identify the item as the whole name and not just the color.  Because, if you have multiple clothing items that are "Black" you will never know which clothing it is in Excel.  Then add the sizes as variations to each item.  Works well to see what you are selling when you export as a csv or excel.  It is also way easier to make one item in a category then upload it to excel then cut and paste additional items, with variations to add to the category rather than do it in square.  I have 12k in items... trust me...I already trialed and errored.

Message 17 of 22

How has this been updated since 2016? I'm still struggling with this. 

Message 18 of 22
Admin

Hey @thewanderloft, thanks for checking in. Sorry for the confusion—there are a few requests mentioned in this thread. So that I can check for updates and hopefully help get you in the right direction, what feature did you have a question about?

️ Tom | he/him
Message 19 of 22

I dont but it would be nice if we could track sizes to keep invintory acurate 

Message 20 of 22

Hello,

What's the best way to manage different clothing sizes?

The best option I've been able to figure out is to use different variations for the different sizes, but I wanted to check if there were any better methods.

Thank you

Message 21 of 22