x
Square Champion

Do you redeem points for client or wait until they ask?

Typically we are checking out clients via the retail / register app - When doing this I'll add client to check out and see if they have rewards - I'll then proactively redeem their points / discount - Do you all do this or do you make it to where clients need to let you know / ask?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Yep. Ive been known to even give them a star if they’re short one for redemption so i can get the bigger sale

Steve Green
Mountain Vapors
www.mountainvapors.com

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Great question!

Tagging @TheRealChipA@GP82818@jacdzg2, & @hive23 for their insights!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 2 of 12
Square Champion

I always ask because they may be saving it for a larger purchase.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 3 of 12
Square Champion

Hi @EcoAutoClean .  I’ve done it both ways, and it works.  Honestly, as long as a customer is paying with a card (not cash) one of two things will happen at checkout:

1. If they use a card they previously used for a loyalty transaction, Square remembers that card and knows it is a loyalty customer.  Then either the POS or the connected terminal will display a screen showing what rewards are available to them.
  2. If they use a new card that hasn’t been used for a past loyalty transaction, they will get the screen prompting them to enter their phone number.  Once they do, loyalty will attach that new card to their loyalty account for future use as well as add the current points and give them a chance to redeem rewards.

This works really well, but of course cash paying customers are left out in the cold, eh?  Our cash paying customers know that they should give us their phone number when they are ordering, and my employees usually ask first.  But it is not required unless you and your employees are handling an entire transaction without your customers ever looking at a POS screen or connected terminal device.

I hope that makes sense.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 4 of 12
Square Champion

Good question! 

I hate it when my coffee shop asks if I want to use my free drink..... NOOOO! I'm getting my cheap cup of tea, I'll use it when iI'm getting a hot chocolate 🤣

I'd never just do it without them knowing. 

Message 5 of 12
Square Champion

Haha that’s fair! Most of ours are 10% off and I’m like cool I’ll redeem that for them then I’m like oh that’s like $45 😂😂. Ouch. I’m not greedy I promise. 

Message 6 of 12
Square Champion

LOL thats a fact and great perspective!! Always easier to understand when coffee is involved 😂

Message 7 of 12
Square Champion

I will look and see if they have a redemption available, it’s a handy way to close the deal on a larger purchase if they seem like they’re on the fence. Easy to tell when they are on the fence since they will normally ask what the total would be out the door, at that point I will ring it up and tell them “ total out the door would be 109.95 but you do have a 10 star available for redemption which would knock another 10% off that “ 80% of the time that does the trick. I would never just proactively redeem a reward for a customer since that’s something that they earned and they decide when they want to spend it. Some save them for bigger purchases or when money is tight

Steve Green
Mountain Vapors
www.mountainvapors.com
Message 8 of 12
Square Champion

we do the same! We'll check to see if they have anything because 99% of the time it will seal a deal on a larger purchase.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 9 of 12
Square Champion

Best Answer

Yep. Ive been known to even give them a star if they’re short one for redemption so i can get the bigger sale

Steve Green
Mountain Vapors
www.mountainvapors.com
Message 10 of 12
Square Champion

We always ask too. Interestingly, several of our regulars are excited about just simply collecting their "stars" -- they're battling for who can collect the most, haha. Ours is a flat discount ($5 off your purchase), so there's not really a reason to"save it" for a future purchase, but people seem to like the control of choosing when they get their little bonus. (Sometimes I save mine at other coffee shops for when I'm having a hard day, then it's a little treat!)

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 11 of 12
Square Champion

I would definitely be proactive and get them their reward.  the reward is supposed to make them like coming there and if they don't claim it they can't get the dopamime of earning a reward. 

Message 12 of 12