x

Feature Request: Automatically send digital items after purchase through my Square Online website

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Digital products?]

I am brand new, I've been searching for posts about this but many of them are old. 

I was wondering if we can sell digital products through square, and if so, is there a download option? Or do we have to go through a third party / send manually?

Message 1 of 157
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @meljen-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

Yes, with Square Online you can list digital items for sale:

You can then provide the digital file for download via email, as we do not have an automated digital file send process after they make their purchase. You will have to manually send them their digital file for download, so make sure their email address is noted. Let me know if you have any questions about this! 🌟

Isabelle she/her

Seller Community Manager, Square

Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 157
156 REPLIES 156

An this "solution" is unacceptable. Manual mailing of digital files (the lionshare of my sales during COVID) is killing my soul, and we have asked you all to fix this repeatedly! I should be able to upload digital files, and customers should be able to get them at the time of purchase. We should NOT have to wait for you to catch up with Etsy!

Message 43 of 157

Frankly, even a solution where I could provide my customer with a link to their download would be fine. I can host the files myself on my own web-server, and would honestly prefer this as most of my downloads are links to online resources anyway! Pretty Please SORT THIS!

Message 44 of 157

I have a similar issue. Sending files as an after sale is not an option. It means I still have to manually traffic my business. I need the client to be able to pay & download from a file that I've uploaded. I have this currently but it's via a 3-way sell as I have to upload to my website (which also doesn't support it) and link it to Shopify for the sale to go through. It works well but it's a long winded process and costing me double. I was hoping that SQUARE would be a one-stop shop for me. So I guess what I'm saying is perhaps you could direct your mailchimp landing page link to Shopify? 

Message 45 of 157

When I pick Digital Goods, I cannot upload anything?  I want to sell PDFs of: patterns, comics etc (that I made). Do I have to manually "ship" it after payment via email?

Message 46 of 157

Hey @CatinChouchoue-

Thanks for posting in the Seller community! 

Take a look at my best answer in this thread for the answer to your question/issue. It should provide some clarity. Let me know if you have any questions about this. 

Isabelle she/her

Seller Community Manager, Square

Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 47 of 157

Well, the "best answer" is not even a good answer! Sorry, but Square needs to up the game for digital sellers, especially in this day and age!!! Having to send out a digital file manually is old technology. I saw that things are being updated...that was over a month and a half ago...so what's happening? And when id all of this "updating" start? Surely not just a month or so ago? Square needs to get this in place. That's the bottom line. I get so tired of hearing from companies..."oh we're working on it" and then nothing happens. SO, what about it, SQUARE? are you going to get off the pot and get it done or just keep dragging us along with old tech?

Message 48 of 157

I completely agree with you. This is ridiculous.

Message 49 of 157

thank you! nice to see others feeling the same! maybe Square will get the hint

Message 50 of 157

I don't think they are listening. I've been asking for this to be fixed for over a year. The old Weebly sites allowed this, and I think the former Square online store did too. There is no reason not to add this functionality. 

Message 51 of 157

I’d like this as an option as well. I need the ability to sell a passcode as access.

Message 52 of 157

Hi Everyone, 

Currently, I am selling on the Etsy platform and would prefer to sell on my own page and shoppable landing pages. Can I sell digital downloads with square? If so, do I need to buy a separate app|plugin|platform? What app|plugin|platform would that be? Does it work with mailchimp shoppable landing pages.

Thank you in advance! I look forward to your guidance! 

Message 53 of 157
Square Community Moderator

Hey @stylingsquad,

I can't speak for Etsy but our Online Store with Weebly does allow for digital sales.

See @Isabelle_ 's Best Answer above for more details. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 54 of 157

It allows digital sales, but then you have to manually send the download link....so it's really just handling the sale...not the digital aspect of it.....should be easily able to automate the download/link as an online sales company

Message 55 of 157

This is a feature we have BEEN ASKING for Weebly/Square to bring back. As of no, you have to manually email your customers digital purchases.

Message 56 of 157

Thank goodness for gumroad.com.  I just spent all day writing this ebook.  Kinda sucks that I have to use a 3rd party to deliver it to my customers.  Seems like my "store" isn't actually a store.

Message 57 of 157

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Downloadable files

Can I use the online store facility to sell a non-physical product such as a downloadable file?

Message 58 of 157

Hi @SarahH1,

Absolutely, you will just need to fulfill the item after purchase by sending the file to the purchaser.

Community Development Fund - Microloans for disadvantaged communities (NPO)

Earth's Nomad - Find Your Next Adventure!

Message 59 of 157

@mattd  send as an after file is not an option. It means I still have to manually traffic my business. I need the client to be able to pay & download from a file that I've uploaded. I have this currently but it's via a 3-way sell as I have to upload to my website (which also doesn't support it) and link it to Shopify for the sale to go through. It works well but it's a long winded process and costing me double. I was hoping that SQUARE would be a one-stop shop for me.

Message 60 of 157

I also need this feature quite badly.  The fact that I have to send the digital products by email slows down service to the customer.  It doesn't happen until I check Weebly.

I hesitate to change platforms over this because it took me many, many hours to put my products on Weebly, and I like my weebly webpage.  I would have to invest at least another week in moving to another platform.  

Before I ever had Weebly, I sold some digital downloads by just setting up a landing page in PayPal.  No software; it was my own effort using some things PayPal has.  If it is as simple as that, why can't Square do it?

Even if we could just do a customized  "thanks for your order" letter that was used for each specific digital item, it would solve most of my problem.  I could add a link and instructions to that letter.  

Message 61 of 157

I second @Diana_Knits's idea of a minimum viable version of this: even without Square or Weebly directly hosting and serving paid digital downloads, the simple ability to define a specific email template just for digital download purchasers—especially if I can create a different email body for each digital item—would solve everything I need for now.

I'm sure Square/Weebly are working on something more advanced to be launched at some point in the future, but simply extending the existing automated customer order emails would be a major feature for now, for many of us.

In my specific use case, what I'm selling is an access code to a private, temporary part of our website. I don't want to muck around with account management or any individual support, so to keep it simple I'm fine with everyone receiving the same code, and keeping it private via honor system.

But this idea could also very easily be used to share a Dropbox link (periodically updated if it ever got leaked), or access instructions, or any private password or URL to "digital product" buyers.

By this point, most of us with digital products have already figured out how to host them. We'd just like to automate the emailing of those who buy them with access instructions.

Message 62 of 157

Hey @SarahH1,

I actually just found this article on customizing store emails, it looks like you can include a link in the order confirmation to digital files. 😁

Community Development Fund - Microloans for disadvantaged communities (NPO)

Earth's Nomad - Find Your Next Adventure!

Message 63 of 157