x
Square Champion

Feature Request: Request billing address with shipping address during online checkout

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Require Billing Address during Checkout

We use Square Online (Weebly) for delivery and pickup orders for our restaurants. Since switching to Weebly, we have been hit with non-stop fraud. We have set our store to require a billing address, yet the checkout process does not require it. 

Why isn't this setting working? I do not want to accept any card where the billing address is not provided and/or does not match the card billing address to try and reduce the amount of fraud. Additionally, I only want to allow delivery where the billing address and delivery address match.

Simply having the card#, CVV, and billing zip code is not enough to protect us from credit card fraud. 

This is a problem that has cost us almost $1k in the past 2-3 months and we need a resolution to this issue.

Serving the best empanadas in Brooklyn - PERIOD!
Message 1 of 94
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Request billing address with shipping address during online checkout

The updated checkout and info collection features are available on our free tier of Square Online.

We can provide a bit of info that should help explain why you may not be seeing this field on your website:

• Only our updated Square Online checkout experience includes this new feature.

• Unfortunately that new experience isn’t compatible with some of integrations/code you may be using on your sites. We’re aware of this - and hope to bring the improvements to sites using these integrations on their sites in the coming months.
    • That being said, if you remove the integrations that are not currently supported, you should be seeing a billing address field!

• These improvements were only introduced to Square Online, not Weebly. We encourage you to consider moving over to a Square Online website if you would like to gain access to our newest features as they become available.

• If your site is built on another platform - like WooCommerce - checkout features like this one would be offered by them. We recommend reaching out to your provider for more information.

If this doesn't quite answer your concerns, we encourage you to reach out directly so our team can take a peek at what you've got going on and dig deeper with you than we're able to here!

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We launched this feature last Friday, y'all! 

You can now opt in to always collecting buyer address for each of your fulfillment types. Once you do, a new Billing Address section will be included at checkout for buyers for orders, with the billing address showing up in their order details as expected.

You can find this feature by logging in your Square Online overview page > Settings > Checkout > Advanced Settings

This is what your customers will see:

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 65 of 94
93 REPLIES 93

Not adding anything.  I think it has all been said.   I've checked the boxes for billing address and wait for the change .  I HAVE put this on our website and wanted to add to the thread in case this is helpful to anyone:   "Due to website restrictions PLEASE NOTE: If sending a gift - include your name and address in the customer note during checkout. We will send you a copy of the receipt and put a message that this gift is from you with the shipment. We are sorry for any inconvenience."  I know it's not good, but at least it informs valid customers that we need that information to add a note to their gift.  Hope it gets fixed soon.

Message 64 of 94
Alumni

Best Answer

We launched this feature last Friday, y'all! 

You can now opt in to always collecting buyer address for each of your fulfillment types. Once you do, a new Billing Address section will be included at checkout for buyers for orders, with the billing address showing up in their order details as expected.

You can find this feature by logging in your Square Online overview page > Settings > Checkout > Advanced Settings

This is what your customers will see:

Valentina
Message 65 of 94

Hello Valentina;

This is NOT working yet. I have it set for all forms of fulfillment and yet it doesn't ask for a billing address ONLY a shipping address. This is a HUGE potential fraud loophole, since I have no way to verify if the buyer is also the recipient. I would turn on gift options  to  try and force it on but for that it seems that Square wants to squeeze more money out of us for that option.

We are just starting out, so we took  the Professional plan at $144 a year, and so far I have not seen our money's worth out of it. This is yet ANOTHER disappointment we have with Square/Weebly, and now we are past the 30 day money back period. I know I won't be referring other sellers to the Online platform. ONE lousy Template, things that are standard elsewhere I have to upgrade to get, such as abandoned carts and CC security, and other gee gaws that don't work on here. I tried to set up local delivery our courier and that wouldn't work either.

How can you be so gung-ho on CC processing and not have fraud prevention procedures? Is the Billing Address option yet ANOTHER upgrade feature? With the amount of CC fraud going on nowadays, without security such as Billing Address or CVV we are a little scared of using Square unless we go to cr shows to sell, and that's no an option right now.

See the picture below for our settings:

bill-address-not-working.jfif

Message 66 of 94

It doesn't work!!  CharliesJewels is right.  I followed the same directions (on the Weebly platform) and no change.  Still no shipping info, buyer name, nothing.  I've had an order for almost $700 with no way of knowing WHO they are!!!  I can assume it's the person being shipped to....but I've been wrong and got chastised by the ACTUAL buyer for calling them by the recipient's name.  Embarrassing and it ruins my credibility when I don't even know who bought from my store.  I'm STILL frustrated and angry.  Before Square bought Weebly, this was NEVER an issue.  I always knew who bought my products and never had a case of fraud.  Now that's all changed and I've been subjected to fraud claims and I can't address the people who bought my products by name and I can't keep accurate records of who these folks are or if they're even repeat customers.  Grrr...

Message 67 of 94
Alumni

@CharliesJewels - I've gone ahead and shared your website URL so our team can dig in here to see why this may be happening.

@mary896 - are you able to share the URL to your website with us here?

Valentina
Message 68 of 94

Message 69 of 94

Still not getting billing info!  It appears other merchants are now finally getting billing info though.....😐

Message 70 of 94
Alumni

The updated checkout and info collection features are available on our free tier of Square Online.

We can provide a bit of info that should help explain why you may not be seeing this field on your website:

• Only our updated Square Online checkout experience includes this new feature.

• Unfortunately that new experience isn’t compatible with some of integrations/code you may be using on your sites. We’re aware of this - and hope to bring the improvements to sites using these integrations on their sites in the coming months.
    • That being said, if you remove the integrations that are not currently supported, you should be seeing a billing address field!

• These improvements were only introduced to Square Online, not Weebly. We encourage you to consider moving over to a Square Online website if you would like to gain access to our newest features as they become available.

• If your site is built on another platform - like WooCommerce - checkout features like this one would be offered by them. We recommend reaching out to your provider for more information.

If this doesn't quite answer your concerns, we encourage you to reach out directly so our team can take a peek at what you've got going on and dig deeper with you than we're able to here!

Valentina
Message 71 of 94

I have been with Weebly for many years.  No, they aren't perfect.  Not by a long shot.  BUT....they didn't remove one of the most basic and necessary features of doing business online when they bought up smaller website hosting companies like Square did.  I don't TRUST Square now!  Why would I move to Square Online????  

Oh, and I'm super confused why you keep SPINNING this fable that Square has introduced this wonderful improvement!!  You took AWAY our access to billing info.....THEN gave it BACK, but ONLY to Square Online customers!!!  I'm sorry, but that's called lying.  Square did not improve something that wasn't broken in the first place.  I understand it's your job to make Square look good when they're actually making business MORE difficult for their clients.  

Okay, so Square bought up Weebly and is now not providing the same basic services to BOTH Square online AND Weebly clients.  Why can't I, as a Weebly/Square client,  ALSO have access to my customer's info??!!??  Apparently I'm **part of SQUARE** now.  Or am I, as a Weebly site owner, just a second-class Square' citizen?  

I'm very interested in your answers.  One more thing, my name is 'mary' not 'mark'.

Message 72 of 94

No reply yet.....waiting.....

Message 73 of 94

I do not see this option following those instructions.  I have checked these boxes under customer inputs as that is the only place they are and it still does not show a place to enter billing address.

Message 74 of 94

One thing I have found out by watching this thread is this:

Did you originally start with Weebly, or have you always been on Square Online? From what I have been reading, for some reason, the Weebly sites are not getting this option pushed to them.

I started with Square Online and the option is now there for us.

CharliesJewels

Message 75 of 94

I have the weebly app for making changes on my phone, but we started with Square online.  We just built our website last month.

Message 76 of 94

Then I would recommend you escalate this to Square Support, since it really IS a critical feature that needs to be enabled.

To be honest I have been pretty disappointed with the Online but I needed to get us up and running quickly, hence our onboarding here.  We were on a deadline to get us launched.

And I JUST discovered yesterday that at least on our plan there is no backup system. And I accidently wiped out our descriptions of our products. And no way to restore it. But I am working now on getting us back up and running fully.

Message 77 of 94

I think you're right CharlesJewels...but what *I* don't understand is this:

As a Weebly client for 6-7+ years, I never ran into any issues at all with having both billing AND shipping information.  It was a basic thing.  There was no question that I could contact the buyer in case of a problem, I could record WHO was buying from me so I could see if they were a repeat customer and record them accurately for accounting purposes and know what they're likes and dislikes are, etc....in fact, even before Weebly, there was NEVER an issue with the buyer's info. I've always had access to buyer's name, address and contact info.  And I've had an online retail store for almost 22 years!

SQUARE is the problem.  When they bought Weebly, they *REMOVED* our access to all buyer info except the zip code and a contact phone number which could be anyone's.  And now they are ONLY *gifting* this info back to original SQUARE clients.  Not the rest of us....who are SQUARE clients!

That's how I see it!  If I'm wrong, let me know Square!!

Message 78 of 94

According to Square help who I just talked to, they removed this option, not added it as it says here. I even linked this thread.  They say it is to protect the customer. I actually have a debit card that will decline if I don't input the billing address properly. 

Message 79 of 94

I just double checked my site, put an item in the basket and then proceeded to the checkout area, and it shows up as an option right below the secure payment field, so whoever you talked to is totally clueless.

Which is par for the course regarding support since we onboarded in June of this year.

I don't know how to attach a screen shot here or I would. I just tried to attach the screen shot but it wouldn't take it.

Call back and demand a supervisor. That's all I can advise right now.

Message 80 of 94

I went through all the steps here.  She verified that I did it. Published the site (which I had also done) and it still didn’t.  She escalated the issue.  

Message 81 of 94

Keep after them and become a thorn in their side if you have to. Now the posting will let me attach a screen shot so here you go:

Checkout with billing addressCheckout with billing address

Message 82 of 94
Square Champion

Hi Valentina:

It looks as though there is a bug with the billing address and all of a sudden I am again getting hit with chargebacks (+$200) after not having received one in over 6 months since this feature went live.

I have this feature activated for all of my products, in addition to setting risk rules that should block any orders where the billing address is not available or does not match. As of this month, I am beginning to see orders coming in where only the zip code is being entered and/or captured, and the orders are being accepted by Square (see image). We are a family restaurant that can't afford these chargebacks. Why did this change? How can we make sure that all orders force a full billing address to be entered? This information is vital to provide during disputes and helps reduce fraud.

IMG_BBF04200910C-1 2.jpeg

Message 83 of 94
Square Champion

I just tested and noticed that ordering on a desktop doesn't show the Billing address section (tried on both Chrome and Firefox on a Mac). It does display it on a mobile phone. Something is definitely broken with the experience.

Message 84 of 94