x
Beta Member

When will my Square Online order tickets print? When an order is placed, or at start of prep time?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Online order tickets - Print when placed vs. Print at prep time

Hi, there was a change to the auto printing function in the past few weeks.  Previously we were set up to auto print our online orders as they came in, which was great for us!  

Without notice, it appears that the auto print feature is now hard set to print at prep time, this does not work for us!

Can you please add an option for sellers to choose whether they want online orders to auto print when orders are placed or at prep time?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 36
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey everyone! 👋😊

I wanted to share some exciting news that you are now able to choose when you want to have your online orders print!

From the Square Online dashboard, click Fulfillment > Pickup & Delivery then select Edit next to your store location. On the next page, click Pickup, then scroll down to the section that says When should pickup & delivery order tickets print?

You can use the default method which would print orders based on the pickup and delivery time: immediately, or based on prep time. The second option (which has been highly requested) is to print ALL tickets immediately, regardless of prep time.

I hope this helps you all out, and thank you all for voicing your feedback for this option!

View Best Answer >

Message 32 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Beta Member

Hi All,

Our online store was recently migrated from the old square to the new Weebly platform. I want to know if there is a way to have online orders print immediately in the new Weebly online store. Right now we have a prep time of 30 minutes. The issue is if we are busy with in house guests all of a sudden 5 orders will print. We have now adjusted the prep time to 1 hour to give us some room but this shuts down the online store an hour early before closing. We would really appreciate a setting change similar to the old square online store where online orders printed immediately even if they need to be fulfilled later in the day. This then gives us an idea on how to pace order fulfilment.

How can this setting be added or changed?

Thank you,

Baljeet

Message 2 of 36
Admin

Hey @AmansAIC!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

I took a look at the app, and you're correct, the setting for printing Online order tickets is Automatically Print New Orders: online orders will automatically print when it's time to make them, which means it is directly related to order prep time. 

I cannot think of another work around other than adjusting the prep time (as you suggested). Our super seller, @pessosices may have some suggestions when it comes to handling order tickets and prep-time. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 3 of 36
Super Seller Alumni

I too agree. I have been searching for this feature for some time now. I would highly appreciate if we could get this setting added and corrected.

The reason this is such a dramatic issue is due to the fact of "ticket dropping." If a ticket hasn't been seen or is "dropped," the customer's order wont be ready and if it does print and wasn't known about, a massive order can cause a huge setback when preptime is just 15 minutes. 

Can we look into this soon?

Message 4 of 36
Beta Member

Hi, This feature was great as it was.  It auto printed online orders as soon as a customer placed an order whether that order was for same day pickup/delivery or in the future, It was perfect for us! 

But now, it seems that the online orders auto print only when it's "Time to prepare".  For example, if my default prep time is 30mins, the online order will print 30mins before it's due.  We are a bakery and this update does not work for us.  Most of our orders are placed a day or more in advance and we need the order to print when it's placed so we can add that order to our prep book so it can be baked and ready for the next day.  Please bring back the auto print when order is placed function!

Message 5 of 36

THERE IS AN AUTO PRINTING FUNCTION? HOW???

Message 6 of 36
Alumni

Automatic printing has been available for some time now, @usa_r20 😊
It does depend on what kind of device you're using though!

Order tickets will automatically print after every sale, even if a customer receipt isn’t printed. Note that on Terminal, you’ll have to tap the “print receipts” button after the transaction is completed to print order tickets on the internal Terminal printer. This is not the case, however, if you print to external printers from Terminal.

Learn more here - and let us know if other questions come up.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 36
Alumni

ASAP orders print when the order is received, and scheduled orders print at the scheduled prep time (ready time - prep time). There haven’t been any changes to that on the Square Online side that would impact this. Did you just enable order scheduling, @Binzy1437?

Valentina
Message 8 of 36
Beta Member

Hi Valentina, thank you for your reply!  We've always utilized scheduled order capabilities.  When we first set up auto print for online order tickets in the square ipad app, it said "Online orders will automatically print when orders are placed". Now, when we look at the online order ticket printing section it says "Online orders will automatically print when it's time to make them"

I'd just like the option to choose when I want orders to be auto printed (when an order is placed or when it's time to make them).  For my business, the only option that works for me is to auto print when orders are placed.

Message 9 of 36

Hello @Binzy1437 - Jumping in for Valentina here. So the option to choose "Online orders will automatically print when orders are placed" is no longer available for you, correct? 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 10 of 36
Beta Member

Yes that’s correct. Auto printing online orders when they are placed is no longer available for us. 

Message 11 of 36

We appreciate your time while we looked into your case. The AutoPrint option is now within the printer setup section. You should be able to create and edit a printer station with Online Orders and set the “auto print online orders” from there. Take a look at this video. If your having a hard time finding the settings please give us a call so we can walk you through them. 

Have a good day! @Binzy1437

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 12 of 36
Beta Member

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How do I print scheduled pickup orders at the time of receipt? 

Our default prep time is 30 mins at the restaurant but for large orders > $100  or party trays we need more time. If someone was ordering food at 11 am to pickup at 5 pm it prints at 4:30 pm which is not enough time to prepare the order. We need it to print at 11 am when the order comes in or have different prep times based on category or the amount of sale. 

Tags (2)
Message 13 of 36
Alumni

If you take a peek at this thread, we explained how your order tickets will print at this time, @anasir 🧾 What you're asking about - custom prep times for specific items/categories total order amounts - would currently be considered a feature request.

Valentina
Message 14 of 36
Beta Member

@Valentina 

When we first set up auto print for online order tickets in the square ipad app, it said "Online orders will automatically print when orders are placed". Now, when we look at the online order ticket printing section it says "Online orders will automatically print when it's time to make them"

I'd just like the option to choose when I want orders to print when an order is placed.  

Message 15 of 36
Beta Member

Hey, @Binzy1437 I am in the same situation. My party tray orders are printing 30 mins before they are supposed to be ready and I am unable to prepare them in time for the customer. I liked that the orders printed automatically when orders are placed. 

Were you able to resolve this issue? 

Message 16 of 36

Is there any update on this? Having the same problem at our restaurant. 

Message 17 of 36
Beta Member

Unfortunately, there is no solution for this. Customers have to end up waiting 😞 

Message 18 of 36

I'm really sorry you are having trouble with your orders printing. 😟

The only option at this time is to manually print out each order from the Upcoming tab under Orders. Otherwise, tickets will be moved to the Active queue and will automatically print out based on pickup time minus prep time. 

Message 19 of 36
Beta Member

Imagine having a feature of printing tickets at time of placed order and removing it without user feedback. 

We don't have an alternate solution to set prep time per category. Party trays cannot be ready in 30 minutes. 

Message 20 of 36

If I recall, the tickets were always supposed to print out at the designated prep time window. I believe a bug was causing the tickets (regardless of prep time) to print out right away, which may be the reason why it seemed like we removed the feature. I'm very sorry for any misunderstanding. 

Are you able to update the prep time for your party trays at the item level? Navigate to the Online Overview page, click Items, then the item name you wish to edit. Scroll down a bit to the Pickup & delivery prep time section. Prep time will default to the location prep time unless you select an option from the drop down.

Message 21 of 36