x

Detailed sales tax report

My business is located in New York State and that's where I have tax authority. When I do my quarterly taxes, the report in square is next to useless. For my online sales the tax report only breaks it out to say, New York. Every county in New York State sets their own tax rate. Square online will calculate this and charge it correctly based on where the item is being shipped, however it won't provide me with that data. When I have to do my quarterly sales tax reporting and payment I have to go back to EVERY SINGLE ITEM I SHIPPED and see where it was shipped and then figure out what county that is in. It's insane that they won't break down the report for me since they already figured out what county the item was shipped to and what tax to charge. PLEASE add this functionality. I'm really trying to grow my business and this will not be tenable at a larger scale.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

@SecretMountain I am lucky I don't sell online, but in your case of dealing with NY state I think using someone like Tax Jar to automate your reporting would be well worth it.

https://www.taxjar.com/product/integration/square

They integrate directly, and if I am right, even the base plan of 19 a month would give you that detailed jurisdiction reporting and you always have the transaction reports in square to back it up.  Not perfect, but dealing with destination based tax rates, I think this would be well worth an andrew jackson each month.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 8

Thank you! That may be the best option if I choose to stay on Square. But the lack of this basic functionality makes me want to move away from this platform. 

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller

@SecretMountain , @Donnie-M ;

Almost a year ago I noticed when I did a phone order through my POS, when I went to my online dashboard-reports-reports-taxes  I believe that is where it was, i was getting a breakdown of all the different towns I shipped to in Pennsylvania.  This I thought was dumb since in PA everything is taxed 6% except by Philadelphia, Alleghanny, and around Pittsburgh areas which have added taxes.  Like when selling or working with in ' City Limits of Philly' they add 1% I believe.  I complained about this as it was showing I collected $xxx.xx for Bath, and $xxx.xx for Dingmans Ferry.  I was wondering how or where I report this since in PA, I send it all to the Pa Department of Revenue.  They do not ask where all in PA I shipped to.

My point here is I think Square does have this information still available and is located here: https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/reports/taxes 

Dashboard - Reports - Reports - Taxes

This information is not shown in the regular reports or summary report.  I found where I was complaining about this.  Message 15 shows a screen shot of the report I was getting when I shipped using Square within PA for Bath and Dingmans Ferry.

Here is a link to that feed here in the community : Troubleshooting/Question-on-Taxes/td-p/681503 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 8
Super Seller

Concur, I don't ship so I am not used to seeing those, but that looks like what would be needed.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 5 of 8

Interesting. My report isn't that detailed. It just shows taxes for my various physical locations (when I travel for shows) and my online sales just have NY bunched together. It seems like they used to break it down by county, but now they've streamlined the report. 

Message 6 of 8
Super Seller

We are in New York and use DAVO for our sales tax filing and reporting and it is literally the best decision we've ever made. It automates with Square and we never worry about any of this!

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 7 of 8

Thank you for the suggestion. Something like this might be my solution eventually, but right now I can't justify the cost. It's just so frustrating that this isn't displayed, since I know they're calculating the tax by county. 

Message 8 of 8