x

How do my customers apply a discount code in self-checkout in my online store?

Maybe I missed something obvious, but I cannot find any way to make it possible for my customers to apply their discount code when checking out in my online store. It gives an automatic option to apply a gift card - even before I offered giftcards (completely another issue) but no option to enter a discount code before checking out. I set up all of my discount codes and I added Items to them so the codes could be applied to certain items. There is still no option in check out to apply the code, even though it works in my POS app. 

What am I missing here?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hello @Palettable,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community. Welcome.

Coupons are a great way to incentivize your customers to buy your items. You can create three types of coupons with different rules and restrictions. Customers enter the coupon code during checkout and see the discount immediately. All discounts are applied before tax and shipping rates.

Check out this page for steps on how to create discount-codes and please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Alumni

Best Answer

Hello @Palettable,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community. Welcome.

Coupons are a great way to incentivize your customers to buy your items. You can create three types of coupons with different rules and restrictions. Customers enter the coupon code during checkout and see the discount immediately. All discounts are applied before tax and shipping rates.

Check out this page for steps on how to create discount-codes and please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 8

Thank you for this solution! I didn't realize that Discount Codes and Coupon Codes were two different things. I had entered everything in where it said "Discounts" under the "Items" category and was confused why it didn't show up in the check out features. It would be helpful to spell this out somewhere, as it's super confusing that if you set up a code under "Discounts" that it only works for the seller to enter a code in their POS, especially when there is a checkbox to "make the discount available to customers in your online store." The way this is phrased makes it sound like customers can enter the discount code, just like a coupon code, when in fact the two have nothing to do with each other. 

Just for the sake of streamlining this, it would be nice if sellers only had to enter discount information once and decide which features you could roll it out to. I had to separately enter codes for gift cards, my POS and my online store so that the codes would work where ever they  are entered. retyping all of that information every time just means more opportunities for mistakes. 

Thanks again though for the information. I got my store codes straightened out.

Message 3 of 8
Alumni

@Palettable,

We definitely hear you on this! Thanks for the feedback. 

Alex_
Message 4 of 8

I am having this exact same issue and just want to echo the sentiment this is extremely confusing for the seller.  Thank you for sharing!

Message 5 of 8

I have links for my product listed at another website.. "on sale"... can I get the discount automatically to apply when these links are clicked? Or do I have to create a whole new item (with the lower price?)

Message 6 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @fhsbooster - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

Is the other website also a Square Online store or is the site listed with a different provider?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Message 7 of 8

Thank you! Glad I found this forum. I’m a volunteer for this booster… I made this website (my first & only time doing this and navigated square -also a first for me but I’m certain I’m not utilizing square effectively. (and in retrospect I probably should have started with a square website instead of GoDaddy -sigh)  - but I’m self taught… next time. 🙂 The square items which are for sale are listed on the GoDaddy website: https://fhsathleticbooster.org/ 

Message 8 of 8