x

Limit Pickup Scheduling to 2 Weeks Later

I’m with Habitat for Humanity and we operate two ReStore locations (home improvement and donation centers) which help us to raise funds toward our mission of building affordable housing. We shut down operations like most everyone else due to COVID and moved online, thanks to Square. We have only run into a couple of issues thus far that hopefully someone can help with.

1- We had to turn off the optional order pickup scheduling feature because customers are allowed to schedule pickups a whole year into the future! We loved that feature because our pickup days are limited to 3 days a week, so it helped with planning. But we cannot afford to have inventory sitting on the floor for that long. Is it possible to limit scheduling to be not so far into the future?

2- When a customer places their order, the order confirmation/update page has the time since the order was placed in PST, which is confusing to folks. Is it possible to switch it to EST?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Alumni

Hey @restorepgw

1. There isn't way to restrict how far out your customer can schedule their order pickup. It's best to add a blurb somewhere in your pickup instructions that orders can only be scheduled out up to two weeks out. 

2. For the timezone issue, have you checked your pickup location settings to make sure it's set to an Eastern address? If so, I'd reach out to our Ecomm Team so they can take a look at your account settings. squ.re/contact 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9

Hi, 

We are currently open one day a week (Saturdays) for pick-up orders and we recently added the option of selecting time slots to our online shop. We are a restaurant with a changing menu and currently our customers can select any item for pickup for any date in the future that we are open. For example, customers can order the focaccia for two Saturdays from now, the problem is we may only carry the focaccia for this Saturday, we won't have it on the menu next week. Is there a way of limiting the how far in advance people can order?

Thanks

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @breadandsalt

I moved your post to a thread on a limiting orders. 

Check out the Best Answer by JustinC! 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 4 of 9

A blurb is not enough when dealing with perishable/seasonal food items. Expecting the customer to read blurbs on availability is unrealistic. We need better control of pickup.

Is the team looking into how to solve this problem? Pretty much every single restaurant is struggling because of this limitation.

Can you advise what work, if any, is being done to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @breadandsalt thanks so much for your feedback. Unfortunately I don't have anything else to share as far as what work is being done toward this issue, but I can promise you that our Development Team reads every piece of feedback that comes through these threads. This is a known request that they have on their road map to address ASAP, but it takes time.

I know this may not have been the answer you were looking for, but I appreciate your time and hope you have a good day!

AshleyK
Message 6 of 9

I have subscribed to this thread to see if/when limiting future days for advance orders will be implemented. We also have a seasonal menu and limited storage to hold stock. We were *this* close to switching to Square, but only having ASAP and up to 90 days advance order for us is a no-go. Customers rarely read blurbs and instructions.

If the time limit cannot be customizable, I'm genuinely curious to know what type of business finds 90 days ideal. I can't imagine many small/indie businesses that would want to hold stock for up to 90 days. 

Message 7 of 9
Beta Member

Is there anything yet? I don't see the option, and I only want to allow pickup 1 week in advance..

Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

I would also like to see an option to limit order scheduling up to a selected date, rather than allowing customers to order months in advance. 

This simple-to-implement solution that would take a decent developer 15 mins to implement  - I don't understand how it hasn't already with all of the threads ive been reading through today

Message 9 of 9