x

Online Store: Why does my site show as 'not secure'?

I recently switched over to the new online store powered by Weebly. It was working fine, until I upgraded and added a custom domain (my website is hosted by Wix). The link works, but it is NOT SECURE and it has caused all of my products to state, "not accepting payments at this time." I tried switching back to the domain that Square automatically assigned to our Weebly store, but I cannot find an option that lets me do that. It says SSL is automatic, to give it some time and it will override, but it's been about 10 hours since I switched domains, and it is  still not working

Message 1 of 181
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tolgardgames-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. Really sorry to hear about this issue you've been experiencing.

Any change to the DNS settings can take 24-48 hours to update on the backend. You will also need to make sure the domain is properly pointed to our IP address, that there are no AAAA records, and that the SSL is enabled.

If you're using the Square Online Store, you can unpublish (from Website> General Settings) and then publish again from within the editor.

Let me know which of these suggestions/steps you've tried already. I look forward to hearing from you. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 181
180 REPLIES 180
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MistyA - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community and joining us here. We are happy to have you!

So sorry to hear about the trouble and confusion with your site, we can help clarify a bit. Isabelle does a great job here giving some details about what the Site Not Secure message means and how to rectify it. This is a message about the accessibility of your site, rather than over-all security or warning.

If you continue to have errors, we would recommend reaching out to our Support Team directly when you can.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 64 of 181

I just experienced the same issue when I upgraded my site to one with a new domain name.  I went back into my editor and republished it.  Reloaded the screen that was on my URL and the Not Secure message went away.

Message 65 of 181

I am having this same problem with my store not being secure.  I tried un-publishing and then publishing with no results.  Please help as I'm missing out on sales.

Message 66 of 181

Hello I publish my website but when you navigate show a NOT SECURE message on google browser that mean the SSL certificate its doesn't work properly, can you help my to fix this,

I ready try to unpublish and publish again the site

Message 67 of 181

Hi there, @CrushingCovid 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! I am really enjoying your username 👏

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding troubleshooting their site that displays a Not Secure message.

Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle. She will walk you through some troubleshooting, but also point you to some next steps if those steps dont resolve the issue for you.

Joe
Message 68 of 181

Customers cannot access my site - www.fsbcstore.com - to make purchases. They are being told it is not secure. Killing my online business. 

Message 69 of 181

Hi there, @ChiefSaint - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding the Online Site reading this same error message.

Take a look at the Best Answer from this thread for more information.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Joe
Message 70 of 181

I have cleared my Cache, republished my site, reset the SSL even restarted the computer

Nothing 

Does anyone have any help with this 

My photography site is now down

Message 71 of 181

Welcome @MarkBrunton here to the Seller Community! 👋 Happy to have you. Thanks for reaching out with your question.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding issues with secure sites. Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle - she will provide all the context and steps you need to fix.

Let us know if anything else comes up!

Joe
Message 72 of 181

can you provide better step by step directions and tell me exactly where to look? these suggestions aren't helpful for most people. I'm completely lost. why is my site www. when I requested to transfer my secured https:// site? I regret transferring and I'm losing a lot of money & driving customers away

@isabelle :

"Any change to the DNS settings can take 24-48 hours to update on the backend. You will also need to make sure the domain is properly pointed to our IP address, that there are no AAAA records, and that the SSL is enabled."

- what do you mean by DNS settings? is this an automatic change after transferring your secure domain from google? how do we make sure it is properly pointed to the new IP address, and what are AAAA records? How do we enable SSL? 

"If you're using the Square Online Store, you can unpublish (from Website> General Settings) and then publish again from within the editor."

- I don't see "Website> General Settings" as an option at all

Message 73 of 181

I transferred my domain from Google to Square. Here’s what worked for me!… Try this (in layman’s terms):

From your Square Dashboard, go to…

> Online > Website > Site Preferences > scroll down & click  ‘Unpublish’ 

Then, go to Website > Edit Site > click Publish 

Message 74 of 181
Beta Member

Wow it should probably let you know that before you change it. My site is now offline for up to 2 days? Very not efficient for my business. 

Message 75 of 181

I have waited 48 hours and unpublished and published my site but it still says "Not Secure" by my domain. What should I do now?

Message 76 of 181

Hey there @LILIKHA 👋

I just visited your website and it seems like it is displaying secure. If you are still having issues or if you ever have issues again don't hesitate to reach out. 

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 77 of 181

Fixed by redoing the whole process by disconnecting domain and reconnecting again!

Message 78 of 181

Hi, I need some assistance with this issue as well. I published my website with the new domain and gave it 48 hours but on the desktop/laptop internet it is still coming up as "not secure." I also tried to unpublish and publish but it did not solve the issue. I do not know how to do the DNS part or what to do, so may I can try that with some assistance. Here is my website: www.gudiyajewelrycollection.com

Thank you, 

Devina

Message 79 of 181

Hi there @devinasingh650,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this! I visited your website and it looks like the SSL is enabled. If it is still showing as unsafe / not secure, we recommend trying to clear the cache on the browser you are using. If you are continuing to get an error message, can you please let us know the browser / device you are viewing the website on? 

Ellie
Message 80 of 181

I have had this issue going on on my site for over 2 weeks now. How do I fix it?

Message 81 of 181

Hi there @Mindvibe,

It looks like the domain record associated with your custom domain is incorrect. Do you mind updating the ending of the IP to .164? Once you do that, please republish the website and it will propagate within 2 business days.

Also, welcome to the Seller Community! 🥳 We are so happy to have you here. While you are here, we recommend checking out our Orientation & Etiquette. Hope this helps! 😊

Ellie
Message 82 of 181

I'm not sure how it could have been wrong, I did the automatic connections through godaddy with the site. I will try and figure out how to update it.

Message 83 of 181

My site parabolicdiscs.com is having these same issues. I have done everything that has been stated above and still have the “unsecured” and “this site is not accepting payment”.   Not sure where or what to do next!  

Message 84 of 181