x
Beta Member

Order spacing problem, brainstorming help please!

Would love some brainstorming help for an issue I'm having with my bakery/restaurant. We have started utilizing the "space out orders" feature which helps keep our kitchen from getting overloaded with too many orders at the same time. It's very helpful, and we set it for no more than 3 pickups every 15 minutes. However, we also do a robust "preorder" business in which folks are allowed to order bakery items (specific categories), like bread and pastries, the night before (while we are closed) for pickup the next day. If we do not turn off the "space out orders" function at night, those orders that come in overnight start to stack up and fill all the morning pickup slots, so that anyone ordering a sandwich the next morning gets bumped out several hours. (Even though the bread and pastries don't require help from the kitchen -- I don't see a way to differentiate whether the order spacing applies to SOME items and not to others.) I have tried manually turning the feature off at the end of our service and turning it back on before we open in the morning, but if I forget it wreaks havoc on our online ordering the next day. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to do this better. We use the free version of Square POS ... would the Restaurants version have any feature that lets us distinguish different pickup/order behavior for different categories?  Thanks for any help the community can provide! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

HI, with Edit Category towards the bottom of the page is the Set Availability feature.  Would this help?

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 12.13.12 PM.png

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Thanks for the suggestion! We do use this for our sandwiches and other categories we do not want to be available for preorder. But no, it doesn't help in this case. When you use this feature, the items are not available to order outside of their availability window. The whole point of our preorder system is that people can order the night before, for a pickup the next day. 

Message 3 of 3