x
Beta Member

Showing options charts

I've tried to figure out several easy ways to show an options chart. My products are made on demand and there are quite a few of them. I want to show available colors as an image with a description.

I have images that are a grid with colors and names. If I include them in item images, I'll have to update every item, if there is a change. If I add the to the item page as a section I'll have to update every item page.

I had hoped that I could upload the updated image with the same filename to the image gallery, and it would update on the item displays. However, it just creates a duplicate image.

I can create a page for the charts and link it in each item listing. Then just update the page. However, I had really hoped to keep it on each item page for simplicity. 

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hi @Papas3D.  Sorry this reply took a while.  I had to read your post a few times before I understood exactly what you were asking.  

You are correct in your assumption.  The first time you upload your image file, you can add it to multiple items and it will display correctly.  However, when you update that image file for any reason, you can not just update the previously uploaded image file and have that change update all items to which you attached the initial image file.  You would have to go back and delete/update the image file for all items that use it.

Currently, your workaround is the only and best one that I can think of.  Square’s image handling funcitonality is bare-bones in this respect.  I, and many others, have requested a more functional image library with lots of functions including the one you have mentioned.  But, honestly, I have seen absolutely no movement towards that. For now, you have hit upon the best alternative that is available to solve this problem.  It’s the same solution that I suggested to another seller years ago when they wanted to attach size charts to their items.  No, it is not the best solution, but it works and it is the best available solution.

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hi @Papas3D.  Sorry this reply took a while.  I had to read your post a few times before I understood exactly what you were asking.  

You are correct in your assumption.  The first time you upload your image file, you can add it to multiple items and it will display correctly.  However, when you update that image file for any reason, you can not just update the previously uploaded image file and have that change update all items to which you attached the initial image file.  You would have to go back and delete/update the image file for all items that use it.

Currently, your workaround is the only and best one that I can think of.  Square’s image handling funcitonality is bare-bones in this respect.  I, and many others, have requested a more functional image library with lots of functions including the one you have mentioned.  But, honestly, I have seen absolutely no movement towards that. For now, you have hit upon the best alternative that is available to solve this problem.  It’s the same solution that I suggested to another seller years ago when they wanted to attach size charts to their items.  No, it is not the best solution, but it works and it is the best available solution.

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 2