x

Square bought Afterpay. Does this mean Afterpay will be available on Square Online in the future?

I've been seeing articles talking about Square buying out Afterpay recently. Will this eventually be integrated into Square Online so installments will be available to my online customers?  

I've been waiting for an installment options for months.  This would really help my sales.

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@BerryPerfSales @Minion @DLRosenberg @rjonin @Beth0416 @KatieVargas @renmishele 

Square Online is eager and excited to announce our integration of Afterpay, allowing you to offer a buy now, pay later payment option on your Square Online site.

Available now, Afterpay lets your customers pay in four equal, interest-free installments over six weeks, while you get paid in full immediately. Learn more here.

*Please Note: Only certain business types are eligible to use Afterpay at this time.

Try Afterpay at no extra charge

Through May 10, 2022, you’ll pay the same 2.9% + 30¢ processing fee for Afterpay transactions as you do on all Square Online transactions. There’s no additional setup cost or monthly fee.1 2

Benefits of accepting Afterpay

✔️   Drive incremental sales: Sellers see a 20% increase in cart conversion on average, and more repeat customers.

✔️    Increase average order value: Afterpay lets customers get what they want, when they want it, increasing average order value by up to 40%.

✔️    Attract new customers: Merchants find that 30% or more of Afterpay customers are  new to their brand.

How Afterpay works for you

✔️    Get paid upfront: You'll get paid within days for purchases made with Afterpay.

✔️    Minimize your risk: We take on the risk, including chargebacks and fraud so you can focus on growing your business.

✔️    Receive daily settlement reports: Get access to transactional information that you can use to reconcile or verify orders.

With Afterpay, you’ll never miss out on a big sale.  And unlike other installment platforms competitors, Afterpay doesn’t require additional integration—it’s automatically available as a Square payment option for Square Online, and works out of the box. You’ll  also get paid up front—we assume the risk, including chargebacks and fraud. More questions? See our support article here

Coming Soon: Afterpay will be integrated with more Square products later this year—we’ll keep you posted!

You can enable Afterpay in your Square Online checkout settings here .

Want to try Square Online for free? Learn more here.

Turning on Afterpay means you have read and consented to the Afterpay Terms and Conditions.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Super Seller

I believe that this was the intention of this since they got rid of their previous installment feature last year.  Smart move (obviously) by Jack, especially with a huge customer base that AfterPay already has established.  I haven't heard of any timeline as to when it would be available and integrated, but hopefully soon before the holiday season. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 2 of 22
Super Seller

It would be AMAZING if this camE online before holiday. We have some big tickets items that would really benefit from Afterpay.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 3 of 22
Admin

Hi guys! I can tell you that we are as excited as you are to integrate AfterPay! I am very pumped to see this added to online stores. 😎

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 4 of 22

Thank you for confirming! 

Do you have an ETA for when it will be available to online stores? 

Message 5 of 22
Admin

I don't have an ETA, unfortunately. Sorry about that, @BerryPerfSales!

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 6 of 22
Super Seller

Whoa!!! This is amazing! I think it's finally time to add retail products online.

Alicia | PEINT
@getpeinted
Message 7 of 22

When will this be available ? How do we sign up ? 

Message 8 of 22
Beta Member

This will be amazing. I would love to know the timeline. Also if there will be a minimum purchase amount for it. 

Message 9 of 22
Beta Member

I can't wait for this to be available!  All my sales come from instore but I know my online would improve greatly with after pay!  Here's hoping it arrives soon!

Message 10 of 22
Admin

Best Answer

@BerryPerfSales @Minion @DLRosenberg @rjonin @Beth0416 @KatieVargas @renmishele 

Square Online is eager and excited to announce our integration of Afterpay, allowing you to offer a buy now, pay later payment option on your Square Online site.

Available now, Afterpay lets your customers pay in four equal, interest-free installments over six weeks, while you get paid in full immediately. Learn more here.

*Please Note: Only certain business types are eligible to use Afterpay at this time.

Try Afterpay at no extra charge

Through May 10, 2022, you’ll pay the same 2.9% + 30¢ processing fee for Afterpay transactions as you do on all Square Online transactions. There’s no additional setup cost or monthly fee.1 2

Benefits of accepting Afterpay

✔️   Drive incremental sales: Sellers see a 20% increase in cart conversion on average, and more repeat customers.

✔️    Increase average order value: Afterpay lets customers get what they want, when they want it, increasing average order value by up to 40%.

✔️    Attract new customers: Merchants find that 30% or more of Afterpay customers are  new to their brand.

How Afterpay works for you

✔️    Get paid upfront: You'll get paid within days for purchases made with Afterpay.

✔️    Minimize your risk: We take on the risk, including chargebacks and fraud so you can focus on growing your business.

✔️    Receive daily settlement reports: Get access to transactional information that you can use to reconcile or verify orders.

With Afterpay, you’ll never miss out on a big sale.  And unlike other installment platforms competitors, Afterpay doesn’t require additional integration—it’s automatically available as a Square payment option for Square Online, and works out of the box. You’ll  also get paid up front—we assume the risk, including chargebacks and fraud. More questions? See our support article here

Coming Soon: Afterpay will be integrated with more Square products later this year—we’ll keep you posted!

You can enable Afterpay in your Square Online checkout settings here .

Want to try Square Online for free? Learn more here.

Turning on Afterpay means you have read and consented to the Afterpay Terms and Conditions.

Message 11 of 22
Beta Member

"*Please Note: Only certain business types are eligible to use Afterpay at this time." 

Which business types are eligible?

Message 12 of 22
Admin

@renmishele If you are eligible then you can enable Afterpay in your Square Online checkout settings here .

More info below:

Eligibility for Afterpay is dependent on numerous factors, including how your business is structured and what you sell. Here are some notes to keep in mind:

• Sellers must be in an approved merchant category
  • Sellers must be based in the US or Australia
  • Sellers cannot have multiple Tax Identification Numbers (TINs)
  • Sellers cannot sell CBD products
  • Local delivery orders not supported at this time
  • Self-serve (QR) ordering not supported at this time
  • Item or cart totals outside of $50 - 2000 range not supported at this time
  • Restricted digital goods or services not eligible at this time
  • Cross-border orders not supported at this time
  • Website must be in English (we look forward to adding Spanish support for Afterpay in the future)

We’ll work to expand availability of Afterpay over time to give more sellers the opportunity to enable it on their sites.

Message 13 of 22

I can't find the option on my square site to add this. Does that mean it's not available to me? If not, it's really upsetting that I still can't offer this to my customers. 

Message 14 of 22
Admin

Hi @Deanna113,

I checked your merchant code and you should be eligible. You should see a banner when you log into Square Online. Click the link in the banner and you'll be taken to Checkout Settings where you can turn Afterpay on or off. 

If you don't see a banner when you log into Square Online, you can try these steps:

1. From your Square Online Overview page, go to Settings > Checkout or Shared Settings > Checkout .
  2. Select Enable now under the Afterpay option.

It may already be enabled for you, so you could also run a test of your checkout process and see if the Afterpay option shows up.

If you still are having issues after that, I would encourage you to contact our support team or read our FAQ's.

Message 15 of 22

I’m not finding it so I’m waiting on a chat with customer support. I really want this enabled for my customers. 

Message 16 of 22

I need my merchant code checked as well I’m not allowed to toggle the icon on 

Message 17 of 22
Admin

Hi @UnfltrdSociety , your merchant code should be eligible. If it's not working for you I would suggest contacting our support team 😊

Message 18 of 22
Beta Member

According to those I believe our business should be eligible for afterpay. The banner showed up for awhile but everytime we clicked on the banner, there wasn't an option for afterpay. Now the banner is gone and we still don't have afterpay. This is really disappointing since cash app pay was removed which was a huge incentive for our customers and now we don't have any option for a buy now, pay later. We have already had a large amount of our customers complain about having cashapp pay removed without another option. 

Message 19 of 22
Square Community Moderator

It seems strange that the banner would show, then disappear, @Sexology

We have limited access to accounts through this page, but I definitely recommend reaching out to the support team for assistance. A rep can check the settings on the backend, and can consult with the advanced support team to make sure there is not an account-specific bug you are experiencing. 

Message 20 of 22

This is super exciting to me. It should open many new opportunities for businesses.

Message 21 of 22